Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS power supply problem

Hello,

I discovered constant whistling of the power supply that was the part of the package. It is heard only when the unit is turned off. When I turn it on the whistling disappears. 

Should I buy the same but new supply or look for linear supply?

Any help is appreciated.

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-16 22:49:46)

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS power supply problem

A switched power strip would inexpensively solve the issue and, as a side effect, could power switch other devices along.

KaiS wrote:

A switched power strip would inexpensively solve the issue and, as a side effect, could power switch other devices along.

Thank you very much for help.

I still don´t understand why the price of this unit is so high - I appreciate extended manual, remote control and DAC itself but it´s ridiculous that such expensive machine doesn´t have adequate power supply. Because this one must be some kind of a joke. Now I understand why people complain about it all around the world.

I could put it into the switched power strip but doesn´t buzzing/whistling/squeaking of the supply affect sound quality?

marek.danko wrote:
KaiS wrote:

I still don´t understand why the price of this unit is so high - I appreciate extended manual, remote control and DAC itself but it´s ridiculous that such expensive machine doesn´t have adequate power supply. Because this one must be some kind of a joke. Now I understand why people complain about it all around the world.

I could put it into the switched power strip but doesn´t buzzing/whistling/squeaking of the supply affect sound quality?

I don't want to look rude, but when you make such bold statements, they should be substantiated with firm evidence.

marek.danko wrote:

...Now I understand why people complain about it all around the world.

Do they?

marek.danko wrote:

It is heard only when the unit is turned off. When I turn it on the whistling disappears.

Don't turn it off ever or unplug when not in use, which is more environment friendly anyway.

marek.danko wrote:

...but doesn´t buzzing/whistling/squeaking of the supply affect sound quality?

How would it harm sound quality when there is no sound?

unpluggged wrote:
marek.danko wrote:
KaiS wrote:

I don't want to look rude, but when you make such bold statements, they should be substantiated with firm evidence.

Isn´t audible squeaking in the sleep mode a firm evidence?

How would it harm sound quality when there is no sound?

Because when the unit is turned on, it makes some noise (only when I put the ear very close) until the display dims (after 10 seconds) - AutoDark mode.

marek.danko wrote:
unpluggged wrote:
marek.danko wrote:

Where is the evidence of the PSU being "inadequate", of complaints "around the world", and of this benign phenomenon affecting the sound quality? If you are so paranoid about the PSU, RME made it even possible to power the device with any lead-acid 12V battery (like those used in cars and UPS) directly. It's the cleanest possible form of power. You may want to try it and tell us how it improves the sound.

@Marek.Danko

I guess ADI-2 DAC FS has similar powering like ADI-2 Pro. Or other RME units with external power source.

As far as I understand it those RME units have internal power unit that makes the powering, unit needs, in quality it needs. ADI-2 Pro may be powered by wide range of voltages and those may be the both DC and AC. So, it is clear that quality of external power source is not esential.

Maybe that better external source makes things better, but I sort of doubt it....

But on the other side, you are right that power source should not "whistle". It indicates, that not everything is 100% right. If it is under guarantie I would ask for replacement. In other cases, I would just switch off the mains.

If you are affraid, replace power source by new one with similar spec. Or by the super power source some people prefer to use with audio equipment....

'Whistleing' power supplies are more or less normal - we live in such times. In standby, means very low current flow, the (any) switched power supply enters a so called skipped cycle mode, which can make the built-in inductors/coils emit vibrations in the audible range. PS manufacturers have a hard time to make their PS meet all the latest power energy saving rules and laws, and the components not always do what they should...

These kind of noises are usually very low volume and not audible as long as the PS is not 'in sight'. And they have no relationship to the quality of the DC output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by marek.danko 2023-12-17 13:47:44)

unpluggged wrote:
marek.danko wrote:
unpluggged wrote:

Where is the evidence of the PSU being "inadequate", of complaints "around the world", and of this benign phenomenon affecting the sound quality? If you are so paranoid about the PSU, RME made it even possible to power the device with any lead-acid 12V battery (like those used in cars and UPS) directly. It's the cleanest possible form of power. You may want to try it and tell us how it improves the sound.

Excuse me but I don´t need improvement of sound. Now it´s fairly good. I expected more but I can live with that. I am satisfied that "hype" and "most people around the world" told me this is end-game DAC, it´s enough for me. And sound won´t be better with different supply, I am sure about that.

I just complained about whistling of the factory packed power supply. And rather I finish right now because I don´t want to be rude.

13 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-17 14:16:35)

marek.danko wrote:

[I just complained about whistling of the factory packed power supply. And rather I finish right now because I don´t want to be rude.

IMO your question is valid.
@MC explained it, and you don’t need to worry about sound quality.

Quasi all switched mode power supplies more or less have this effect of mechanical noise - the cause is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetostriction or simple magnetic attraction caused from current flow’s magnetisms.

It’s not a sign of a fault.

MC wrote:

'Whistleing' power supplies are more or less normal - we live in such times. In standby, means very low current flow, the (any) switched power supply enters a so called skipped cycle mode, which can make the built-in inductors/coils emit vibrations in the audible range. PS manufacturers have a hard time to make their PS meet all the latest power energy saving rules and laws, and the components not always do what they should...

These kind of noises are usually very low volume and not audible as long as the PS is not 'in sight'. And they have no relationship to the quality of the DC output.

Thank you.

Is something new about linear power supplies?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36900

unpluggged wrote:
marek.danko wrote:
unpluggged wrote:

Another complaint from different user. Please read here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38641

Could someone give an answer, if wrapping the PSU with a towel or putting it in an acoustically dampened box could be a solution? The switching PSU doesn't seem to produce much heat, does it?

17 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-02 15:01:22)

IdleTalk wrote:

Could someone give an answer, if wrapping the PSU with a towel or putting it in an acoustically dampened box could be a solution? The switching PSU doesn't seem to produce much heat, does it?

The PSU doesn’t make audible noise when ADI-2 is on.

So, instead of taking a risk with putting the PSU into a box where it can catch fire - just use a switched power strip to turn it off when not in use.

It’s safe, convenient and saves energy, specifically as you can switch off all devices involved at once.

Even little energy can significantly accumulate when trapped like you proposed.
If you really insist in doing such, put the PSU on some rubber feet into an otherwise empty metal case.
This way heat built up is avoided, as the case can dissipate it.

KaiS wrote:
IdleTalk wrote:

The PSU doesn’t make audible noise when ADI-2 is on.

So, instead of taking a risk with putting the PSU into a box where it can catch fire - just use a switched power strip to turn it off when not in use.

It’s safe, convenient and saves energy, specifically as you can switch off all devices involved at once.

Even little energy can significantly accumulate when trapped like you proposed.
If you really insist in doing such, put the PSU on some rubber feet into an otherwise empty metal case.
This way heat built up is avoided, as the case can dissipate it.

Thanks for a wise answer for my dumb question.

Mine is fairly silent, unless I put stethoscope on it.
So the question was mainly out of curiosity.

Though my other DAC from a renowned manufacturer makes some buzz noise from its built-in PSU after 10+ years of usage.
It was dead silent when it was new.

Will it happen to ADI-2 someday?
Even it would, I'm not that much worried because the PSU of ADI-2 is an external one. :-)