Topic: Babyface Pro FS Asio driver problem with Digicheck and Cubase

Hello,
I just got a Babyface Pro FS. Before I had an FF400. I work on Win 10.
Installed the driver driver_usb_win_1246, Totalmix works, windows sound player also works (over wdm I suppose).
RME Babyface Pro is also found in audio, video and gamecontrollers.

But when I open my DAW I can't select the asio driver, only a generic one. It's just not in there.
Then I tried to open digicheck and had "opening audio device error number 4" which I googled and found I had to press F3 to select an interface. When I select ASIO Fireface USB driver I see Babyface Pro as device, but when I click ok Digicheck (5.96) immediately shuts down to repeat its behaviour on a new try.
I uninstalled and reinstalled RME drivers from the babyface and digicheck but it just doesn't work. It's strange and I have no clue why the asio driver isn't working correctly. I'm using RME hardware since forever but I just can't figure it out. Hope to get some help. thanks!

Re: Babyface Pro FS Asio driver problem with Digicheck and Cubase

Explained in this forum several times. After driver installation perform a cold reboot, and if still not working after that unplug/replug the interface. ASIO Reg entries have changed and need to become valid.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, I tried it now but still the same issues. Is there a way to change something in the reg editor by hand if it doesn't become valid?

It should work without editing the registry. I wonder if you have more RME USB devices, and also used an older USB driver first, as this is only happening then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have an Fireface 400 hooked up, and for an adat test I also had a hammerfall multiface installed once. There might be some drivers from that left on the machine. But both aren't USB devices.
I installed the Babyface drivers on a Laptop now just to check if it works and it does. Interestingly I noticed, although both are Windows 10 and it was the same installer, there were differences in the install screen.
On the non working PC install says: "Dieser Driver Installer Wizard installiert und aktualisiert die Treiber der folgenden RME Geräte: Fireface 800, Fireface 400, UFX, Fireface UCX, Fireface 802
92/25/2019,3.1.25.0"

On the Laptop where it worked it says "... folgende RME Geräte: Fireface UC, Fireface UFX, Babyface, fireface UCX, Fireface 802
07/11/2023,1.2.46.0"

I'm very sure it is the same installer though, because I downloaded both freshly from the RME page. But apparently it still installs differently.

Just double checked. The same installer. But on the PC it decides to install something older out of it it seems.

That's not possible. Please check again and compare file names, dates, and sizes.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I wish I was wrong, but I even copied the download from the Laptop on a stick and moved it to the PC just to see this
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/octffyxe … o&dl=0

Ironically in the settings it looks correct with driver 1.246
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/j9ohz7qh … w&dl=0

Skaldir wrote:

Interestingly I noticed, although both are Windows 10 and it was the same installer, there were differences in the install screen.
On the non working PC install says: "Dieser Driver Installer Wizard installiert und aktualisiert die Treiber der folgenden RME Geräte: Fireface 800, Fireface 400, UFX, Fireface UCX, Fireface 802
92/25/2019,3.1.25.0"

That is obviously the FireWire driver (installer).

Skaldir wrote:

On the Laptop where it worked it says "... folgende RME Geräte: Fireface UC, Fireface UFX, Babyface, fireface UCX, Fireface 802
07/11/2023,1.2.46.0"

That is obviously the USB driver (installer). Just because both have the same name after unzipping (rmeinstaller.exe) doesn''t make them the same. ALL our Windows drivers comes as that installer file name.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, but it still comes from the exact driver_usb_win_1246.zip file
I invite you to join my PC via teamview and try yourself.
I use RME products since 15 years and don't ask for help if it wasn't neccessary. So I don't know why it happens, and it looks like I made a mistake but I triple checked and even copied the exact installer from the working Laptop on a stick and used that and it STILL suddenly is the FireWire driver.

I now tried something else I found in another thread. I started the installer on the Laptop but didn't press next. Went into appdata - local - temp - rme and copied those files.
Transfered them to my PC and launched dpinst64.exe
Then I atleast i saw the correct "... folgende RME Geräte: Fireface UC, Fireface UFX, Babyface, fireface UCX, Fireface 802
07/11/2023,1.2.46.0" and continued the installation. Cold reboot, unpluggin replugging.
But still digicheck crashes after i select the asio driver and still no babyface asio driver to be found in the DAW.

I really need some advice how to get the asio driver working.

Auch wenn es für mich wohl kein Weihnachtswunder gibt... Frohe Weihnachten an die RME Leute hier im Forum

Do a search in regedit for fireface_usb_asio_64.dll. It gives one result with InProcServer32, like

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{somelongstringalwaysdifferent}\InProcServer32

What is the Value data here? It should be C:\Windows\system32\fireface_usb_asio_64.dll.

Now search for fireface_usb_asio.dll. It will give two results with InProcServer32, like

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{somelongstringalwaysdifferent}\InProcServer32

What is the Value data here? It should be C:\Windows\SysWow64\fireface_usb_asio.dll.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It doesn't find either of them.
I only find fireface_asio_64.dll and fireface_asio.dll, which I guess are the firewire drivers.

Then your computer did not finish the installation of the USB driver. Go to C:\Windows and check the file DPINST.log. It should have error information.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's a really long log file, because of countless attemps to install, so I talke the last entry. If that is not enough I can also copy the whole thing.

INFO:   12/28/2023 12:19:50
INFO:   Product Version 2.1.0.0.
INFO:   Version: 6.0.6000
INFO:   Platform ID: 2 (NT)
INFO:   Service Pack: 0.0
INFO:   Suite: 0x0100, Product Type: 1
INFO:   Architecture: AMD64.
INFO:   Interactive Windows Station
INFO:   Command Line: '"D:\rme\dpinst64.exe" '
INFO:   DPInst is not multi-lingual.
INFO:   ****************************************
INFO:   Current working directory: 'D:\rme'
INFO:   Running on path 'D:\rme'
INFO:   User UI Language is 0x407.
INFO:   Install option set: Force install if driver is not better.
INFO:   Install option set: uninstall will be set to delete driver binaries.
INFO:   Found driver package: 'D:\rme\fireface_usb.inf'.
INFO:   Preinstalling 'd:\rme\fireface_usb.inf' ...
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackagePreinstallW
INFO:   Driver package is already preinstalled 'd:\rme\fireface_usb.inf'.
SUCCESS:d:\rme\fireface_usb.inf is preinstalled.
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackagePreinstallW  (0xB7)
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageGetPathW
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageGetPathW  (0x0)
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
INFO:   Installing INF file 'd:\rme\fireface_usb.inf' (Plug and Play).
INFO:   Looking for Model Section [Devices.NTAMD64]...
INFO:   Installing devices with Id "USB\VID_2A39&PID_3FC0&REV_0001" using INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\fireface_usb.inf_amd64_d80f9c82c579d8e6\fireface_usb.inf".
INFO:   Will force install because driver is not better and force flag is set.
INFO:   ENTER UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices...
SUCCESS:RETURN UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices.
INFO:   Installation was successful.
SUCCESS:Install completed
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x0)
INFO:   Successfull installation of 'd:\rme\fireface_usb.inf'.
INFO:   Machine will have to be rebooted to complete installation.
INFO:   Returning with code 0x40000001
INFO:   12/28/2023 12:20:05

The installation worked. In regedit, did you click on 'Computer' in the left pane before starting the search?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, it just finds it in there
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLockdownFiles\%SystemRoot%/system32/fireface_usb_asio_64.dll
and there
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLockdownFiles\%SystemRoot%/SysWOW64/fireface_usb_asio.dll

but not in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT anywhere.

Just tried it on my laptop, there I can find the dll files in the folders you mentioned.

And you have full control over that computer? Something seems odd...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am administrator on this machine if you mean this. It is super odd.
I don't know why this registry entry isn't made in the end. Could it be some sort of protection? Should I try something in safe mode? Could I transfer some files from the working laptop?

You could try an install with any kind of Antivirus and Malware protection turned off. Maybe they interfere. You might have other tools installed that interfere in the background. Or a corrupt .NET support. One can think of a lot of things here, but none of them are known or typical. I remember people that unkowingly had no full access to the registry, but that was many years ago. Your laptop is the simple proof this typically works.

That said this all started with something that already could not be and pointed to severe caching issues with your file manager or system...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Finally some good news.
Today I had a remote session with a friend of mine and we tried to figure it out together.
First we used BCUninstaller to remove drivers and started anew.
The problem remained, then we looked into the registry and searched for "asio". The driver entry had no name at all, so my friend just typed in a name. It still didn't work, but we installed the driver again. The driver overwrote the name he had given, but the paths were leading to the firewire dlls for the usb asio aswell. So we changed the path to C:\Windows\system32\fireface_usb_asio_64.dll and C:\Windows\SysWow64\fireface_usb_asio.dll manually and voila, it works!