Topic: [Solved] FF400 on Mac Studio M2 suddenly having audio glitches

Hi all,

I upgraded to a Mac Studio with M2 Max one month ago. Installing the FF400 drivers and connecting via TB3->TB2->FW800->FW400 worked without any problems. I was super happy that my dear Fireface 400 worked absolutely flawlessly, with 3.41, 1.71 drivers/firmware. I made three new tracks with Ableton Live 11 and newest version of my 3rd party plugins and was super happy as this new machine seems to have endless power.

Three days ago I upgraded and installed Native Instruments Komplete 14. I used a instance of Reaktor with Forms and could finish my track and record it without any problems. Then the next day, my system started to produce audio glitches when playing around with another instance of Traktor (Forms) although system monitoring only showed 20 % CPU load. I first thought, ok, maybe NI Reaktor is the problem and started a new project only with 2 plugins I used before, when everything was working fine.  The glitches now occur randomly when working with Ableton, also with only three active tracks. The CPU meter stays at e.g. 2% load and doesn't change when the audio glitches happen. So, the NI plugin seems not to be the problem.

This problem is driving me crazy. It seams not to appear when using other audio apps, e.g. Apple Music. And it is not related to CPU load, as I also checked with activity monitor. No spikes in CPU, memory or whatsoever when the glitches appear. I checked the connection of every cable and adaptor. The PSU of the FF400 is completely new. Has anybody have a similar setup like me or facing the same issue?

Thanks,
Timo

2 (edited by waedi 2023-12-20 12:26:57)

Re: [Solved] FF400 on Mac Studio M2 suddenly having audio glitches

Hi Timo
Did you try to play around with the Buffer size in Ableton ?
Try a very small, 32 or 16 just for test.
And also big 1024.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Yes, at least i tried 64, 256 and 512. Same issue. I also set the preferences of the FF400 to "Audio only". I am wondering why it suddenly happened and worked before. I guess it must somehow be related to my NI Komplete install.

4 (edited by waedi 2023-12-20 13:38:06)

As long these Ni software is not running it should not have an influence.
When running cause issues, you will find the culprit easy.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by alexm1022 2024-01-01 20:24:26)

Remove recent software changes (NI, Ableton) to see if problem persists - may give clue if it's a compatibility bug. printable template

6 (edited by timo 2024-02-03 10:40:42)

I finally got it working. Believe it or not, it was my drum machine causing the trouble. Very short closed hi-hat sounds coming into the Fireface on Audio-in 4 where interpreted as LTC signals, changing the clock sync. Switching clock mode to master was the solution. Can I somehow disable Fireface listening for LTC on audio channel 4? I have this FF 400 unit for like 10 years and now I am learning about this crazy feature. Funny!

Isn't there something to disable it in the settings? Don't have one running right now. Otherwise, just swap inputs perhaps...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME