Topic: UFX III doesn't recognize Ferrofish MX MADI

Hey guys,

first post here. I've had a Fireface UFXIII for almost a year now and love it.  I also have a Ferrofish Pulse 16 for 16 channels of ADAT in & out.

I need to expqand more so I bought a Ferrofish MX because the UFXIII has MADI. Seemed pretty straight forward; connect the Ferrofish to the UFX with the delivered MADI cable. The problem is; the UFX doesn't even see there is a MADI device connected. The MADI light on the UFX stays off and on the Ferrofish it says "NO LOCK". My ADAT follows the UFX and also my AES to where I connected the ADI 2 Pro.

Pretty frustrating and I think I did all the obvious things correctly. MADI input is set to Autoselect, but all the options don't make a difference. MADI output is set to optical.

I do hear a clicky sound when I change the MADI output though....

The clock source is set to Internal. I'm on Windows 11 and the routing on the Ferrofish is also ok I believe. But I do think the routing on the Ferrofish doesn't even matter at this point since I think it's not even connecting.
I did select the clock source on the Ferrofish to MADI but it does nothing.

Could it be a faulty cable from Ferrofish? It's brand new...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: UFX III doesn't recognize Ferrofish MX MADI

Most likely a MADI cable issue, unfortunately I have seen some that are broken and some that have the tips reversed on one end.

On the LC end (smaller plugs) try flipping the positions of the two tips. It's easy to change that side.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I tried to change the tips but it's not possible.

Could it really be that simple? Or do I need to install some extra RME drivers or something?

It's definitely possible, there is just a plastic clip holding them together. Take a close look.

There is nothing further to install.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

5 (edited by ramses 2023-12-20 22:15:02)

Another idea. Maybe wrong SFP in use? Did you get the one from Ferrofish for multimode (for OM3 or OM4 mm fibre cable).
Check also MADIface driver settings whether you use optical.
And whether MADI frame size is 96k on both devices.

You are aware of, that you need to connect with a duplex cable

UFX III                      Ferro
LC Connector            SC Connector
IN    OUT                     IN   OUT
|        +--------->--------+     |         OM3 or OM4 cable
+----------------<--------------+

If duplex cable check the polarity, that out/in of the two devices become properly connected.

To check the cable, perform a loop test on the UFX III: connect MADI OUT with MADI IN, MADI LED should be lit and in the MADIface driver settings dialogue you should get a sync.

Always good to have a 2nd fiber cable and a 2nd SFP as a reserve.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Well, I bought a brand new Ferrofish MX specifically build for MADI purposes and they include a cable that connects only one way to the Ferrofish itself and the RME Fireface UFX3. There is no way to connect it otherwise and if I'm gonna break the plastic omn the cable, which is needed to make it 2 separate cables, I break my warranty. I suspect the cable it comes with should work, Ferrofish stuff is also very compatible with RME (aren't they partners?) si it seems highly unlikely that it's not the right cable.

Everything is on optical now, 96k frame and still nothing. No sign of life. The routing on the Ferrofish is also correct.
Hopefully it's just the cable. Gonna call Ferrofish or RME I think.

Come on, just separate the Clip. Give the connector a little Twist, the Clip comes right apart.
You can also visually confirm the correct in and out on the cables.  The cable which is on the left side on one end should be on the right side on the other.
Output to input and vice versa.
The cable Costs a few euros, I doubt breaking it will affect the warranty of the whole unit.

Holy sh*t! Like yu said I could easily separate the cable, even without breaking it, changed the L/R from the little connectors and it CONNECTS!

Will probably run into some other time consuming stuff like routing and all but they see each other now so I assume it's all gonna work!

THANK YOU GUYS!!

9 (edited by ramses 2023-12-21 10:33:14)

You're welcome & well done.

I do not know which adapter you mean, the usual way is to buy a LC to SC OM3 or OM4 multimode cable like this.
I would avoid the use of adapters in cases where it is absolutely not needed.

Your adapter cable might have the purpose to do the twist to change TX/RX.

All you need is in fact a proper cable with needed plugs, LC to SC:
https://www.kabelscheune.de/LWL-Kabel-L … 5-OM4.html

UFX III---SC <SC-------------------OM3/4 MM cable-----------------------LC> SFP---Ferrofish

These OM3/4 duplex cables should be prepared so that TX is connected with RX on the other side and vice versa.
But usually every cable has the possibility to flip this at one end, but is a bit "fiddly by nature".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I used the cable that came with the Ferrofish! It's this one:

https://www.ferrofish.com/product/sc-lc … ode-cable/

You would think that one would be plug & play right? The cables are clipped together. Probably a mistake in the factory or something..

Skiggy wrote:

I used the cable that came with the Ferrofish! It's this one:

https://www.ferrofish.com/product/sc-lc … ode-cable/

You would think that one would be plug & play right? The cables are clipped together. Probably a mistake in the factory or something..

Likely. As far as I remember, I could use my cables out of the box.

With 3 devices and different plugs you need to open duplex cables anyway at a certain point to get at least one single cable or you leave the other cable of a duplex cable unused.

Example: RME UFX III, 12Mic, Octamic XTC

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/3079-09-rack-back-madi-extfx-cabling-jpg/

Skiggy wrote:

Holy sh*t! Like yu said I could easily separate the cable, even without breaking it, changed the L/R from the little connectors and it CONNECTS!

Will probably run into some other time consuming stuff like routing and all but they see each other now so I assume it's all gonna work!

THANK YOU GUYS!!

Your Welcome, it took only three posts, nr2, nr4, nr7 to convince you try it.
G