Topic: Question About Best Way to Integrate 2 Subwoofers with ADI-2 DAC FS

Hello!  I’m a new member with a new (pre-owned) RME ADI-2 DAC FS!  Mine has the AKM chip and the newer remote.

I have 2 ACTIVE speakers, and 2 ACTIVE subs.  I’ve connected each speakers to 1 of the 2 RCA connectors, and 1 sub to the left XLR, and the other to the right XLR.  It sounds great, but I’m getting some distortion/buzzy/ofttone effect on SOME of the low notes of SOME recordings.  It might be noticeable on 1 of 20 songs.  I don’t know if it’s a setting, or if a driver is damaged.

So my first question is, “are there any suggestions on how to fix this?”  I didn’t notice it with my previous DAC, a SMSL M400 MQA DAC.  But then I made several changes at once - new DAC, added Qubuz, and started first listening at a very high volume from which I immediately turned down with the remote.

My second question is about hookup.  I’m thinking ideally I’d like signals below say 60Hz to go to the subs (only), and signals above 60Hz to go to the speakers (only).   I don’t know if this will solve the problem above, improve my sound quality, or neither.  I’ve read postings on this forum and I didn’t see a direct answer, except it appears unlikely that I can do this with  the ADI-2.  Might a MiniDSP 2X4 be the answer?

Here’s the rest of my system:
Two Bang and Olufsen BeoLab 8000”pencil” speakers
Hsu ULS 15 MkII 15in sealed sub
Paradigm Research Monitor 7 12in sealed sub
Bluesound Node N130 streamer, with linear power supply, connected by Cat 6 cable to a sub-router then wireless to my main router
The Cat 6 cable to the streamer has an optical link in it.

I’m listening to Qobuz, occasionally Radio Paradise.

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-27 01:01:25)

Re: Question About Best Way to Integrate 2 Subwoofers with ADI-2 DAC FS

1. Check one woofer at a time, with the main speakers switched off.
This makes all rattling and such clearly audible.
Very often it’s just some stuff in the room vibrating causing noise.

2. Do I get this right, you want to use 2 completely different model subs at the same time?

Not impossible, but…

An audio measurement app like FFT from Andrew Smith for iDevice would help a lot to get this right:
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/fft/id298840058

For 12 bucks it turns the iDevice into a precise FFT analyzer, using the built in microphone.
I’d give you support if you like to go this route.

Use the subs’ built in x-overs to adjust a smooth frequency response.

3 (edited by tcotruvo 2023-12-27 03:26:29)

Very helpful!  Thanks!

I have a UMIK 1 microphone.  Would that be of use in my case?

My room is an issue.  It is approximately 20ft x 40ft x 8ft and includes a cooking area, dining area and living room.  My listening area is approximately 17ft by 17ft within the room.  There are 6 pairs of glass patio doors, 2 7ft x 7ft windows, and several other large windows, so lots of glass with no curtains.  The floor is concrete with some area rugs scattered about.  Then a variety of furniture.

With the UMIK 1 you can e.g. use REW for measurement, although I prefer the simplicity, albeit precision of iDevice AudioTools.

In a room like you described, the 1st basic measurement to setup the subs’ x-over frequencies would be in the near-field, about equidistant between subs and mains.

Fine-tuning sub’s x-overs, phase and positioning should be done at the listing position.
With little variations it might be possible to address certain room modes.

The process is interactive and needs some experimentation.
Listening is an important part of it, measurement being used as aid, to avoid obvious flaws.

Also very helpful!  Thx!

From your first comment, I started with only one subwoofer playing at a time.  I ended up turning down the crossover frequency and volume of both to get better sound.  Then I repeated for each speaker.  It appears that one was too close to a bookshelf, so I moved it out.  The low frequency distortion/buzzing/off tone is gone or nearly gone.

What is interesting is that I didn’t hear this distortion with my SMSL M400. But I’m not thinking that this means that the SMSL was better…more likely the opposite.

Next I’ll go on to audio measurement!

Maybe you find out what objects in the bookshelf are causing the rattling and place them on something soft.

Do the subs have an output to feed your mains? In other words, L/R out of the ADI-2 into the sub, sub out to the mains and let the sub handle bass management. That’s the best way to do it and, if your mains are full range down to 50Hz or so, make the sub crossover a little above that and it will gently crossover between mains and subs. We do that in all of our music and TV mix suites and it works well.

8 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-29 01:01:38)

ericseaberg wrote:

Do the subs have an output to feed your mains? In other words, L/R out of the ADI-2 into the sub, sub out to the mains and let the sub handle bass management. ...

Already checked that, noop.
But the BeoLab 8000 have a steep low cut filter at about 60 Hz.

It‘s just about filling up the range below.

ericseaberg wrote:

Do the subs have an output to feed your mains? In other words, L/R out of the ADI-2 into the sub, sub out to the mains and let the sub handle bass management. That’s the best way to do it and, if your mains are full range down to 50Hz or so, make the sub crossover a little above that and it will gently crossover between mains and subs. We do that in all of our music and TV mix suites and it works well.

Hi,
my setup is like that.
ADI to subs (Dynaudio 9S), filters, then to power amp (Boxem) and ESL63s.
(a bit awqward to adjust...)
Season's greetings

10 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-31 19:55:04)

ketalar wrote:
ericseaberg wrote:

Do the subs have an output to feed your mains? In other words, L/R out of the ADI-2 into the sub, sub out to the mains and let the sub handle bass management. That’s the best way to do it  …

my setup is like that.
ADI to subs (Dynaudio 9S), filters, then to power amp (Boxem) and ESL63s.
(a bit awqward to adjust...)

Reasonable, but the topic starter‘s, @tcotruvo, subs both don‘t have filters for the main speakers.