Topic: ADI-2 FS as capture device for vocal tracking and master analog chain.

Okay, finally got this piece in, connected and working. Being new to the dedicated AD/DA setup ensuring levels are right is a thing. It's connected to my ZenTour spiff and receiving summed signal from a Antelope Satori.
I'm curious if anyone else is utilizing it in a similar way.
When capturing the return from my analog master chain or tracking vocals through my preamps just working to ensure everything is set correctly.
+4, +13, +19? Trying to under the method.
Hopefully I'm making sense.

Thanks for all help in getting better understanding.

Re: ADI-2 FS as capture device for vocal tracking and master analog chain.

+4dBu is studio level. It's hotter signal in combination with balanced connections (with a circuit filtering out unwanted noise) it supports longer cable length needed in studio environments.

At inputs and outputs, different reference levels might be offered (device dependent)  on an analogue circuit basis, so that SNR and dynamic can be optimized for the type of device being connected.

At inputs, a higher ref level makes the input more insensitive to support hotter signals and to have more threshold.
At outputs, a higher reference level creates more output level.

In other words: you will surely notice from the peak level indicator at the inputs which reflevel at the input brings the signal too close to 0 dBFS. Leave a little threshold.

You can control it at the outputs (if the sending device supports different ref levels) and at the inputs ...

You need to look what levels the connected device supports and set the levels accordingly so that it fits best without overloading an input of your recording device or the input of the connected device.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: ADI-2 FS as capture device for vocal tracking and master analog chain.

ramses wrote:

+4dBu is studio level. It's hotter signal in combination with balanced connections (with a circuit filtering out unwanted noise) it supports longer cable length needed in studio environments.

At inputs and outputs, different reference levels might be offered (device dependent)  on an analogue circuit basis, so that SNR and dynamic can be optimized for the type of device being connected.

At inputs, a higher ref level makes the input more insensitive to support hotter signals and to have more threshold.
At outputs, a higher reference level creates more output level.

In other words: you will surely notice from the peak level indicator at the inputs which reflevel at the input brings the signal too close to 0 dBFS. Leave a little threshold.

You can control it at the outputs (if the sending device supports different ref levels) and at the inputs ...

You need to look what levels the connected device supports and set the levels accordingly so that it fits best without overloading an input of your recording device or the input of the connected device.

Okay... So for the output from the Satori summing to the analog master chain find the level which nest suits the analog gear and on the input to ADI-2, the best reference which leaves adequate headroom and provides a decent input level witout over loading any input?

I know I'm paraphrasing, but does it sound right?

Understanding now there's no one setting fits all.

A journey...