Topic: Fireface 400 Win 11 way more CPU-Usage than old Tascam 08 x 16 MK1

Hey Guys,

2 weeks ago I upgraded my RAM to 64 Gb for my i5 9600 Processor, and since then my old Tascam 08 16 Mk1, which had Distortion Issues from time to time, worked excellent in Ableton: When i had 12 Audio-Stems open,plus FX-Plugins, it just had about 5 % CPU-Usage and an by 48 Samples, like about 7ms lateny in total.

So, was happy, and thought, i even can improve the CPU-Usage or the Latency-Situation by getting an Fireface 400.

Now, using the FF 400 with my PCIe-Firewire-Card, the same 12-Stem-Project in Ableton takes 35 % CPU-Usage, which is, of course, an unacceptable situation. I tried different Asio, and Asio4all has the best latency of all - AND 35 % CPU-Usage.

I got the newest BIOS on my System, re-installed all softwares several times, but the Fireface 400 still takes 7 times more CPU-Usage than my rusty old Tascam 16 x 08 MK1 USB Interface.

So, is it just normal, that RME+ Firewire may have good Latency, but very heavy CPU-Usage? I mean, I really can expect from an pricy RME-Firewire-Connection, that its at least usable like an cheap old second-hand Tascam 16 08 Mk1 from Ebay.

Or am I wrong, and cheap old Tascam USB-Interfaces are just more CPU-Friendly - even 7 times more CPU-friendly?

I still believe in the RME to firewire setup, and cant believe my Situation, right now, is the norm.

Thanks for help,

and have a great start in 2024 :-)

Re: Fireface 400 Win 11 way more CPU-Usage than old Tascam 08 x 16 MK1

I am just guessing.... What is the size of audiobuffer of Tascam and what of FF 400? Is not FF 400 audiobuffer way smaller than Tascam one?

And by the way, "CPU Usage" in DAW does not show percentage of CPU load.... It shows percentage of audiobuffer used. One could very loosely translate it as percentage load of the most loaded single core.

Re: Fireface 400 Win 11 way more CPU-Usage than old Tascam 08 x 16 MK1

Windows 11 FireWire support might be not as good as in the old days (wasn't FireWire 800 already missing in Windows 10?). Maybe (maybe) installing older FW drivers (not ours, but for PCIe card/system) or ones from the manfacturer of said card might help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME