1 (edited by Ninbura 2023-12-31 14:35:32)

Topic: Digiface Dante - routing & Dante loopback performance

Looking to simplify my multi-pc audio setup by replacing my ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, & HDSPe MADI FX with a Digiface Dante.

Currently I use my ADI-648 as a bridge to introduce new computers into my audio system, but this requires I have a physical ADAT interface connected to each auxiliary PC (like my RayDAT). With a Digiface Dante I could, in theory, just use Dante Virtual Soundcard across auxiliary PCs; where 10ms+ latency isn't really a concern. I also already have some Dante gear that would integrate nicely. Previously, I routed said gear into my system via a Dante AVIO AES adapter connected to a Fireface UFX+.

new routing would be as follows
https://i.imgur.com/d9x4GOV.png

However, one thing I'm concerned about is that with my current setup I have my MADI FX looped into itself via the MADI coaxial connection. I use this physical loopback connection to create route-able submixes. I find that the delay on this loopback connection is so low that it's inaudible. While I should have additional channels to play with between my UFX+ & Digiface Dante, it could get a bit tight. The UFX+ will act as an FX processor in the absence of a MADI FX, which could eat a considerable amount of channels.

So, I'm wondering if I can expect a similar amount of latency when routing the Dante I/O on the Digiface Dante into itself. I should have plenty of unused Dante channels I could use for this purpose, assuming the performance/latency is good.

MADI FX, Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-192 DD

2 (edited by Ninbura 2023-12-31 14:37:45)

Re: Digiface Dante - routing & Dante loopback performance

Oh... one other thing I have to worry about is the WDM device capabilities of the Digiface Dante.

A few years ago I was trying to use a MADIface XT in place of an MADI FX and found that the WDM devices list was truncated to the first 100 inputs.
https://i.imgur.com/q6xrCsH.png

Where-as the MADI FX WDM devices list had access to all inputs.
https://i.imgur.com/pzaW44W.png

I'm assuming I'll run into this same issue with the Digiface Dante... in-which case I may want to keep my MADI FX. Would appreciate it if anyone could confirm what I/O is accessible via the WDM devices list on the Digiface Dante.

64 Dante and 40 MADI. The MADI FX ran with PCIe, not USB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by Ninbura 2024-01-01 10:13:08)

MC wrote:

64 Dante and 40 MADI. The MADI FX ran with PCIe, not USB.

I could probably still manage here, I just need to be intelligent about my routing. I currently use 20 WDM devices via my MADI FX. Though, it would be preferable overall if all channels were accessible, and then we were limited to enabling a certain number of them.

This was much more difficult to accept with the MADIface XT where the 3rd MADI connection was entirely inaccessible for WDM.

After running the numbers, I think I'm going to stick with my MADI FX.

Without the MADI FX, I have about 36 channels I need to send from the UFX+ to the Digiface Dante. They need to be addressable via WDM in Windows as I use many channels with FFmpeg, which does not support ASIO. That leaves me with 4 channels of headroom from the UFX+ to the Digiface Dante (WDM addressable), too close for comfort. I'd probably just have to expand in the future. With the MADI FX I don't need to send anything to the UFX+ for FX processing. A bit unorthodox, but looping a MADI connection into itself on the MADI FX provides so much flexibility when it comes to submixing & FX processing.

That being said, I think I will still replace both my ADI-648 & RayDAT with a Digiface Dante. Dante Virtual Soundcard and Dante AVIO adapters seem like the most economical way to get many devices into my audio system with good performance. If I need more mic pres in the future I should be able to integrate a 12Mic-D.
https://i.imgur.com/oQWKVQB.png