Topic: RME UFX II setup master and slave with Nuendo 8 io 96k

Hi all!

I just both myself the RME UFX II.
So i connected it to my old nuendo 8 io 96k with ADAT in and out. I dont know if i connected it the right way in order so the UFX will be the master. I attached pics.

https://ibb.co/wzGsJSh
https://ibb.co/XWPZsSX

I really dont know what settings to choose. Previous i had the nuendo set up with my old HDSP AIO but in a different way. The input A/D and D/A (on the nuendo) was set to internal and the clock led lamp for 48 lit up. No longer in this setup.

When having the same setting with UFX it crackles so changed to what you see in picture. I think i dont know how to determine master and slave for minimal jitter. I think the UFX is the newer piece and should be the master right?
If anyone could guide me please, i would be grateful.

And also, should i choose "externally clocked" in Cubase settings - studio setup?

UFX II, Cubase 12 Pro, Windows 11 23H2, i7 14700K, ASUS Prime Z790-A WIFI, Corsair 32GB DDR5 5600MHz

Re: RME UFX II setup master and slave with Nuendo 8 io 96k

Newer RME interfaces don't need to be master, they have Steady-clock technology wich creates jitter-free signal out of jittery signal.
You did set clock-mode to "internal" in the Madiface settings of the UFX ll, this makes the UFX ll be master.
That's all good.
It should work fine, a great setup.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Newer RME interfaces don't need to be master, they have Steady-clock technology wich creates jitter-free signal out of jittery signal.
You did set clock-mode to "internal" in the Madiface settings of the UFX ll, this makes the UFX ll be master.
That's all good.
It should work fine, a great setup.

Ok, sorry but as i asked:
Previous i had the nuendo set up with my old HDSP AIO but in a different way. The input A/D and D/A (on the nuendo) was set to internal and the clock led lamp for 48 lit up. If i do yhat in this setup i get crackles.

Were do i decide the sample rate then? It is grayed out right now and I can no longer change that on the converter with these settings. Previously i had the HSP AIO setting in picture. Dont know if the nuendo was the master then?
https://ibb.co/b6VM9WL

UFX II, Cubase 12 Pro, Windows 11 23H2, i7 14700K, ASUS Prime Z790-A WIFI, Corsair 32GB DDR5 5600MHz

4 (edited by waedi 2024-01-04 02:08:17)

uncheck "word clock single speed" in the Madiface settings UFX ll

from the user manual :
Clock Mode
Word Clock – Single Speed
The word clock output signal usually equals the current sample rate. Selecting Single Speed
causes the output signal to always stay within the range of 32 kHz to 48 kHz. So at 96 kHz and
192 kHz sample rate, the output word clock is 48 kHz.

waedi wrote:

uncheck "word clock single speed" in the Madiface settings UFX ll

from the user manual :
Clock Mode
Word Clock – Single Speed
The word clock output signal usually equals the current sample rate. Selecting Single Speed
causes the output signal to always stay within the range of 32 kHz to 48 kHz. So at 96 kHz and
192 kHz sample rate, the output word clock is 48 kHz.

Ok, thats all good. But i still dont understand if my UFX is the master or not with this setting? And is that preferable in this case? You said:
"You did set clock-mode to "internal" in the Madiface settings of the UFX ll, this makes the UFX ll be master.
That's all good".

But i get crackles with this setting if i dont change the input A/D and D/A (on the nuendo) from internal to "nothing". I dont know wich setting would be the "best"?

6 (edited by waedi 2024-01-04 03:09:36)

yes of course the Nuendo can't be "internal" it has to be "input Adat"
Only one device can (and has to be) set to clock internal (master), all others have to use digital input signal or word-clock.
Your setting is fine. UFX ll clock internal and the Nuendo clock "not internal".
To my small knowledge this is the best way to connect those units.

waedi wrote:

yes of course the Nuendo can't be "internal" it has to be "input Adat"
Only one device can (and has to be) set to clock internal (master), all others have to use digital input signal or word-clock.
Your setting is fine. UFX ll clock internal and the Nuendo clock "not internal".
To my small knowledge this is the best way to connect those units.

Ok, thanks. I will continue with this setting assuming the UFX is the master