1 (edited by mslinn 2024-01-12 00:08:37)

Topic: ARCUSB Volume Control of Software Playback AN 1/2

I want to use ARCUSB to control the volume of my computer audio (Software playback channels AN 1/2, labeled as "Windows" in the image below).
https://www.mslinn.com/av_studio/images/rme/totalmix_software_playback_an12.webp

At present, my ARCUSB has encoders configured for controlling gains for 2 microphones, output volumes for headphones, a feed to a video camera, and the speaker volume. My complete setup is described here: https://www.mslinn.com/av_studio/310-rme-arc-usb.html

I need to assign one more encoder to control the volume of the computer audio as it appears in the AN 1/2 channel of Software Playback for my UFX III. Is there a way to redefine the default capabilities?

Thanks,

Mike

Update 2024-01-22

Others have explored this idea before. ARCUSB most likely uses OSC to communicate with TotalMix, as discussed here:

* https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35426. The Excel spreadsheet within https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/os … talmix.zip reveals the functionality I want, and much more.

* https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=18177

* Previously I thought the number of encoders was limited. I now understand that the function (e.g. Volume Phones 1) should be selected before the action (Encoder).

Fireface UFX and UC, Windows, Ubuntu

Re: ARCUSB Volume Control of Software Playback AN 1/2

The software playback channels have no input gain (volumen) adjustment.
This has to be adjusted in the prior software, DAW or player etc

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

@waedi, you are telling me how the product is configured.

As I said in my post, ARCUSB is obviously a software-configurable product.

The last sentence in my post asks, "Is there a way to redefine the default capabilities?"

4 (edited by waedi 2024-01-11 06:22:32)

The faders of the hardware input channels and the faders of the software playback channels are not available for the ARC.
The current list of available functions doesn't include them.

mslinn, I could be wrong, but usually it is not necessary to control the volume for computer and phones.

Before using the ADI-2 Pro I had a compareable situation like you.

Sometimes I listen via monitors, sometimes via phones.

Why don't you create two different snapshots
in one you assign the hw output to monitors as "Main Out"
in the other you assign the phones output as "Main Out"

Then you can select either Snapshot 1 or 2 (for either monitors or phones) and control the volume with the ARC USB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

@ramses The article I cited explains my setup. In case you did not read it: I have a recording studio. All musicians and the sound engineer wear phones. Another output is designated as a phone, and it goes to the video camera.

7 (edited by ramses 2024-01-11 13:12:10)

mslinn wrote:

@ramses The article I cited explains my setup. In case you did not read it: I have a recording studio. All musicians and the sound engineer wear phones. Another output is designated as a phone, and it goes to the video camera.

Sorry, had this time not enough time to go into details but hoped it might solve the issue.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by waedi 2024-01-11 13:38:55)

A cheap workaround can be a cable-loopback, then a hardware output is inserted into the signal path of the software playback signal, the ARC can adjust the fader of it when this output is assigned to phones 4.

yes I know, you may have to skip one snapshot for the Phones 4.

10 (edited by mslinn 2024-01-12 00:06:15)

I used 7-zip to open rmeinstall.exe (the TotalMix installer for a UFX III), and saw these files:

$ ls alF
total 17752
drwxr-xr-x 1 mslinn mslinn     4096 Jan 11 17:46 ./
drwxr-xr-x 1 mslinn mslinn     4096 Jan 11 17:46 ../
-rwxr--r-- 1 mslinn mslinn     3072 Sep 13 08:12 .data*
-rwxr--r-- 1 mslinn mslinn     1024 Sep 13 08:12 .gfids*
-rwxr--r-- 1 mslinn mslinn 36609536 Sep 13 08:12 .rdata*
-rwxr--r-- 1 mslinn mslinn    10240 Sep 13 08:12 .reloc*
drwxr-xr-x 1 mslinn mslinn     4096 Jan 11 17:46 .rsrc/
-rwxr--r-- 1 mslinn mslinn   275456 Sep 13 08:12 .text*
-rwxr--r-- 1 mslinn mslinn    14056 Sep 13 08:12 CERTIFICATE*

I used a hex editor to examine this 37 MB file. I should not post those contents, that might violate RME's trade secrets, but I do see what appears to be the components of menus. Furthermore, .rdata seems to contain model-specific information for various audio interfaces, in a binary format. So the problem might be able to be reduced to providing a compatible, but different, .rdata file.

So it should be possible for RME to allow customers to adjust Software Playback volumes, just by tweaking the menu definition in this file.

Those data have nothing to do with what you think they do. These are installer instructions, not code within TotalMix FX that can be altered.

BTW, there is an official way to open the rmeinstaller.exe and see its contents. Found in the readme:

rmeinstaller.exe /manual will unpack all files into C:\RME driver

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME