Topic: Balanced to unbalanced

THe documentation for the ADI-2/4 in reference to balanced v unbalanced says: "make sure pin 3 of the XLR output is not connected"

I looked at some XLR rca cables and they say "Unbalanced XLR cable is wired with XLR pin 2 connected to the RCA plug tip; XLR pins 1 and 3 are connected to the shield of the RCA plug; Connect this balanced to unbalanced converter cable from equipment with a dual RCA phono output to a subwoofer with XLR input"

I assume this won't work - Is there a connector that disconnects pin 3 or an adopter so I  cna connect my unbalanced Amp?

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-15 12:56:57)

Re: Balanced to unbalanced

tbrooke wrote:

"Unbalanced XLR cable is wired with XLR pin 2 connected to the RCA plug tip; XLR pins 1 and 3 are connected to the shield of the RCA plug; …"

I assume this won't work -

Cables with pin 3 grounded will work, but force the amp that drives this pin to deliver high current.
At full level (+24 dB) the amp will therefore go into clipping / distortion.

By a very tiny amount this can negatively influence the pin 2 signal, e.g. through contact resistances.

tbrooke wrote:

Is there a connector that disconnects pin 3 or an adopter so I  cna connect my unbalanced Amp?

Yes, a wire cutter or scissors for finger nails:
Open the female XLR (they are usually screwed) and cut the link to pin 3.
Label the cable accordingly for future reference.

Molded cables (usually from the cheaper make) can be modded by drilling out XLR pin 3 from the connection side.