Topic: ADAT Out on ADI-2/4

I want to use the ADAT out to input an ADAT signal into my Multiface . ADAT can handle 8 channels at 48K or 4 channels at at 96 K.

The diagram on page 43 shows 2 channels (7/8) but it seems to me I should be able to get 4 or 8 channels.

Does the ADI-2/4 limit the number of channels ADAT can carry?

2 (edited by ericseaberg 2024-01-21 05:46:43)

Re: ADAT Out on ADI-2/4

I don’t believe it’s an ADAT signal but an optical SPDIF, which is only two channels.  At least, that’s how the ADI-2 Pro works. The BabyFace Pro, which I also have, does have an optical I/O that can be 2-channel SPDIF or 8-channel ADAT, selectable in the software.

3 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-21 10:00:07)

ADI-2 uses ADAT channel 1/2 and ignores the others.

With higher sample rates ADAT format transports 4 channels at 88.2 / 96 kHz or 2 channels at 176,4/ 192 kHz.

ADI-2 does read these formats too, again plays just channels 1/2.

For ADAT feed-through ADI-2 Pro / ADI-2/4 Pro SE handles all ADAT channels.

“Pro”-manual page 7:
Optical I/O (TOSLINK): The unit automatically detects SPDIF or ADAT input signals. The optical output can operate as ADAT or SPDIF output, depending on the current setting in the Setup menu (Options, SPDIF / Remap Keys). Note that only channels 1/2 from the ADAT stream can be accessed. SMUX and SMUX4 (up to 192 kHz) are still supported.

“Pro”-manual page 27:
Optical Out Available settings are: SPDIF, ADAT. While the input adapts to the received signal automatically, the output needs to be switched manually. In Dig Thru mode with an ADAT signal received, the output is switched to ADAT automatically with all 8 input channels passed through.

4 (edited by ramses 2024-01-21 14:12:01)

tbrooke wrote:

I want to use the ADAT out to input an ADAT signal into my Multiface . ADAT can handle 8 channels at 48K or 4 channels at at 96 K.

The diagram on page 43 shows 2 channels (7/8) but it seems to me I should be able to get 4 or 8 channels.

The diagram that you refer to is about the channel order in USB (multi-channel) operation.
7/8 refers here to the channels transferred over USB (in multi-channel mode).

You may not mix between the two topics "channels over ADAT I/O" and "channels over USB".
As it has been pointed out, ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2/4 Pro SE use only the first two ADAT channels (manual p.7 "optical I/O").

To add one thing while we are at it, according to manual (ch14.1.1 p 30) the optical input adapts itself to the received signal automatically. The output needs to be switched manually to either ADAT or SPDIF.
Only (!) in "Digital Thru" mode with an ADAT signal received, the output is switched to ADAT automatically with all 8 input channels passed through. See also Matthias Carstens comment below https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 4#p213324.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nobbha8ur940r1gwwd1wu/2024-01-21-ADI-24-manual-p43-channel-order-in-usb-operation.jpg?rlkey=mi8iuiwa15s4mjuefbqmndmsl&dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

tbrooke wrote:

Yes. All ADI-2 Pro including the 2/4 do not pass through all ADAT channels (in Single Speed mode). That's been on our list for some time, but always falls off the chart somehow. This is for Dig-Thru, in all other modes it's only 2 channels anway (see posts above).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-21 14:00:36)

MC wrote:

…All ADI-2 Pro including the 2/4 do not pass through all ADAT channels (in Single Speed mode). That's been on our list for some time, but always falls off the chart somehow. This is for Dig-Thru, …

Oops, then it’s high time to implement it, or change the manual:

“Pro”-manual page 27:
…In Dig Thru mode with an ADAT signal received, the output is switched to ADAT automatically with all 8 input channels passed through.

KaiS wrote:
MC wrote:

…All ADI-2 Pro including the 2/4 do not pass through all ADAT channels (in Single Speed mode). That's been on our list for some time, but always falls off the chart somehow. This is for Dig-Thru, …

Oops, then it’s high time to implement it, or change the manual:

“Pro”-manual page 27:
…In Dig Thru mode with an ADAT signal received, the output is switched to ADAT automatically with all 8 input channels passed through.

Sorry, maybe you read it wrong. I understood MC / the manual this way:
1. Digital Thru mode is the only mode where it already works. So the manual does not need correction.
2. RME would like to change this that it is also working for other modes.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Nope, the manual is wrong at this time. Nobody complained in 5 years, which might be a reason it did not get priority. Most probably because the feature Dig Through is not used often anyway.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I understand about the ADAT but this still confuses me (on page 46):

Class Compliant Multi-channel mode:

With USB connected, 3 stereo devices are active for recording and 4 stereo devices for playback.
However, since the Phones output continues to follow the Main Out output, the analog outputs
can be used to listen to either channels 1/2 or 3/4, but not both at the same time.

Am I correct in thinking that in USB Multichannel mode the ADI-2/4 can directly output 4 (2 Stereo) analog outputs using the Rear XLR and TRS Jacks and these will actually be from two separate internal DACS and I can additionally output digitally 2 Stereo Channels, 1 one Optical (ADAT/SPDIF) and one on AES?

The above quote seem to indicate I can not use 1/2 and 3/4 at the same time.

10 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-22 14:23:21)

Step by step guide:

AES to ADI-2 1/2 XLR Outs.
ADAT / Optical to ADI-2 3/4 Rear TRS Outs.
ADI-2 analog Line In through ADAT to Multiface.

• Connect Multiface SPDIF to ADI-2 AES with a fitting cable adapter, RCA to XLRm.
ADI-2’s AES In can usually handle SPDIF Coax signals.

In the rare case that AES signal does not show up in ADI-2‘s State Overview Screen, a 75 Ohm SPDIF to 110 Ohm AES adapter is needed:
https://www.thomann.de/de/neutrik_naditbncm.htm
https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/_25/252629/6936680_800.jpg
Plus this RCA to BNC adapter cable for the adapter,
Alternative see on bottom:
https://www.thomann.de/de/pro_snake_bnc … dapter.htm
https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/_16/165673/13272666_800.jpg

• Connect Multiface ADAT Ins and Outs to ADI-2‘s Optical Ins and Outs.

• Unplug USB, else it will dominate the clock.

• SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: AD/DA.

• SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Dig. Out Source: Default.

• SETUP / Options / Clock / Clock Source: Auto or AES or SPDIF (not INT).
Clock needs to be slave to Multiface.

• SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / SPDIF In: Optical.

• SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / Optical Out: ADAT.

• I/O / Line Output 1/2 / Settings / AD/DA Source: AES.

• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Source: SPDIF.

• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Rear TRS Source: Ph. 3/4.

75 Ohm SPDIF RCA / Coax to 110 Ohm AES XLRm cable with built in impedance matching transformer:

http://www.funk-tonstudiotechnik.de/CAS … rkabel.pdf
https://funk-tonstudiotechnik.de/Audiokabel-digital.htm

http://www.funk-tonstudiotechnik.de/CASA-T-Adapterkabel.pdf

tbrooke wrote:

I understand about the ADAT but this still confuses me (on page 46):

Class Compliant Multi-channel mode:

With USB connected, 3 stereo devices are active for recording and 4 stereo devices for playback.
However, since the Phones output continues to follow the Main Out output, the analog outputs
can be used to listen to either channels 1/2 or 3/4, but not both at the same time.

Am I correct in thinking that in USB Multichannel mode the ADI-2/4 can directly output 4 (2 Stereo) analog outputs using the Rear XLR and TRS Jacks and these will actually be from two separate internal DACS and I can additionally output digitally 2 Stereo Channels, 1 one Optical (ADAT/SPDIF) and one on AES?

The above quote seem to indicate I can not use 1/2 and 3/4 at the same time.

You quote from the page 'Basic Mode DAC'. Read 17.4.2 Class Compliant Multi-channel mode and you can.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

AHAA I get it!! I am backwards. My software (not a DAW but a convolver platform) through ASIO gives me 8 analog input and 8 ADAT out puts plus 2 spdif This give me 16 channels to work with -

If, instead of trying to do routing through the ADI-2/4, I treat it as an endpoint I will be using it like it is intended. Feed it signal through AES and ADAT.