1 (edited by neotinto 2024-01-24 10:28:10)

Topic: RME ADI 2/4 Pro -- One-button mute?

Hi, is it possible to add one-button mute for the active output?
(eg by pressing the Volume knob)

There are moments when you want to quickly kill the output.
Having to dig through the menu to access "Mute" is a major inconvenience.
Looking for the remote is an inconvenience too (FYI, with ADI 2/4 within arm's reach, I never use the remote)
Perhaps one of the knobs could be repurposed for this...? (ideally the Volume knob, like it works on ADI-2 DAC)

Current behavior of Volume knob: switches between 1/2 and 3/4
Current behavior or 1(B) and 2(T) knobs: cycle between the same screens

Also: user manual (page 22) says that 1(B) should be muting the current output:

A push on encoder 1 (B) mutes the current output. The text in the blue field shows Line Out 1/2 -
muted. A second push exits the mute state.

...but current behavior for 1(B) is different (cycling through screens).
I am on latest available firmware version (32, dated Sept '23).

Re: RME ADI 2/4 Pro -- One-button mute?

Just use the physical remote or the software remote. My Pro 2/4 is 2.5m away so I never use the front panel at all.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

3 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-24 17:26:21)

• SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / Remap Keys: ON
• SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / Remap Keys / VOL (1): Mute all (default was: “Source Analog”)

Now the VOL-button (not the push on VOLUME Control) mutes all outputs.
VOLUME Control Push is not assignable.

Long push on VOL uses it’s original function, to access the Volume/Balance screen.

• SETUP /… /Remap Keys: “ON” even activates some other default assignments that might need to be deactivated.

Personally, also having ADI-2/4 Pro SE in arm’s reach, I keep the IR Remote in reach too, for quick access of functions like “Mono” (self assigned to button “3”) Balance, EQ On/OFF, etc.

4 (edited by neotinto 2024-01-24 19:03:45)

just use the remote

I'm really sorry, I'm afraid using a remote doesn't work for me.
My desk is too small having for a remote.
Crucially: RME 2/4 was meant to perform this function using the front panel (according to manual).

KaiS wrote:

• SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / Remap Keys: ON
• SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / Remap Keys / VOL (1): Mute all (default was: “Source Analog”)

Now the VOL-button (not the push on VOLUME Control) mutes all outputs.

Indeed, this mutes ALL outputs (instead of active output).
And, on another press -- it UNMUTES ALL outputs.
I only want to mute the active output (and then unmute it), NOT all outputs.

There are other options for remapping, but these are not good either:

• SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / Remap Keys / VOL (1): "Mute 1/2" OR "Mute 3/4" couples mute with a single output. 

When you switch to a different output (eg. you play 1/2, then switch to 3/4, then want to mute 3/4) -- that coupling won't work (you need to select one output permanently).

KaiS wrote:

• SETUP /… /Remap Keys: “ON” even activates some other default assignments that might need to be deactivated.

I don't want these buttons changed to something else. Can the default behavior persist for these buttons? (or be "remapped" to original behavior)

Maybe this will sound arrogant or unreasonable:
Could RME make the unit perform according to the manual? page 22:

A push on encoder 1 (B) mutes the current output.

5 (edited by rawac 2024-01-24 19:06:21)

The whole thing is a misunderstanding. The text in the manual about the VOL screen. If you press the VOL button once, the Volume/Balance menu appears. Now, and only now, pressing encoder 1 switches between Main 1/2 and Main 1/2 - muted or between Phones 3/4 and Phones 3/4 - muted. Current here means the output shown at the bottom of the Vol screen with a frame. You select between Main 1/2 and Phones 3/4 by pressing the large VOLUME encoder.

The whole thing works as described.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

neotinto wrote:
KaiS wrote:

I don't want these buttons changed to something else. Can the default behavior persist for these buttons? (or be "remapped" to original behavior)

Yes, of course, just set them on “Default“.

@MC: “Mute Active Output” could indeed be a useful option.

7 (edited by neotinto 2024-01-25 07:29:08)

rawac wrote:

The whole thing is a misunderstanding. The text in the manual about the VOL screen.

Yes and no:
"yes" that piece of manual is about the VOL screen
"no" because for other devices (ADI-2 DAC all versions) it works BEYOND the VOL screen.
Also, for folks running their monitoring 90% of the time out of the analyzer screen (like me) = of all screens, the Analyzer is crucial for quickly muting.

KaiS wrote:

Yes, of course, just set them on “Default“.

That works, thank you!

To anyone reading this: "Default", while missing from page 30 of the manual -- IS a viable option; while cycling through menu, scroll all the way to the left.

KaiS wrote:

@MC: “Mute Active Output” could indeed be a useful option.

Preferred implementation: pressing Volume encoder itself
"Can live with but not ideal": on pressing toggle 1(B) across all screens
(currently both 1(B) and 2(T) toggles cycle through same screens = redundancy; let's remap 1(B) press to "mute active output")

8 (edited by ramses 2024-01-25 08:02:37)

At 1st I agreed with OP, but now I rested it for some time the functionality of volume encoder etc and think it is good as it is.
But that doesn't mean that other tastes should not be served by making it configurable.

What I like is the current possibility, that
- short press of the encoder toggles between 1/2 and 3/4 to adjust volume before you actually change the output
- long press of volume encoder changes the channel
There are two functions which are somehow tied together.

On the other hand I see also the demand to be able to quickly mute which also is much related to the Volume button.

Maybe ... MAYBE .. it makes sense and would be possible to implement three different timings
- short press to toggle mute (new)
these "as is" maybe timing adjusted so that three different "feel right", "work smooth"
- little longer press to change between 1/2 and 3/4 to allow volume adjustments without changing the output
- longer press to really change between 1/2 and 3/4

Otherwise...

Maybe Some alternatives

I remapped the setup key which you do not need too often with "Mute all".

From hand-moving, finger placement, it fits perfectly this way.

The device is left from me, I only have to place the 4 fingers of my left hand on the top of the ADI, middle of the device.
Then the thumb is in the ideal position to access the setup key to toggle mute all.
This you can also do blindly.

A remapping of B and T I do not regard as useful, but on the other hand, if possible, I would not be against it.
What I do not like about this idea, you require B and T to cycle through the different displays.
I think this should always work.

With the other 4 knobs it is different, you do not need them frequently and there it is tolerable to remap the key and press a little longer to get the original function of the knob.
With one exception, I do not remap the Vol key because it is more convenient (for me) to use it for scrolling through displays.

My favourite list or remap functions

Also described here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Remap Keys: ON
VOL (1) not remapped. Default ("Toggle View")
       useful when using the remote to change between different screens
I/O (2): Toggle Ph/Line
       I have phones permanently plugged and am switching between monitors / phones using this key
       Also very nice here, you have a slow ramp-up of volume as well.
EQ (3): EQ+B/T+Ld 1-4
       I want to be able to quickly disable any form of EQing including dynamic loudness
SETUP (4): Mute all
        quickly mute all, once you are used to it, it is faster than turning the volume knob.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13