1 (edited by hausmeister 2024-01-28 11:03:38)

Topic: Questions about standalone mode UCX-II

Hi all,

I am currently looking for a new audio interface, and the UCX-II with it's standalone mode looks very interesting to me. I am doing hobby music productions which would not justify spending 1300€ for an audio interface, but if I could integrate the device into my stereo setup for music listening, it would. I have no problem to set something up (i.e. the Room EQ) with a PC, but I don't want to connect the USB cable in everyday usage, So my questions are (I'll just post simple use cases) for the UCX-II _not connected to a PC_:

1) Can I connect my Wiim Pro Plus streamer SPDIF out to the UCX-II ADAT/SPDIF in and use the UCX-II just as a "better DAC" with the interesting Room EQ feature? How to switch the UCX-II on and off? I read somewhere that the rotary encoder switches the device on/off with a long press, but I could not confirm this in the user manual. Or do I need to unplug the UCX-II??
2) The same 1) but for headphone listening
3) Connect the analog Line Out of my guitar amp power load to a Line In on the UCX-II and play guitar over a pair of active studio monitors connected to the UCX-II?

I am aware that all this is possible when using a PC with the audio interface, but it is not clear to me how I would change from use case 1) to 3) for example by using the menu on the UCX-II.

It would be great if an user of this device could shed some light on these questions!

2 (edited by hausmeister 2024-01-28 11:21:10)

Re: Questions about standalone mode UCX-II

Hi!

The output is from a device called "Fryette Power Load IR" which "sucks" the power of the speaker out and provides an IR (or analog) simulation of the speaker over a line out signal, so this is standard line out level. This should be compatible with the line in of the UCX-II with no problems, I use it here with my old audio interface. The question is more on how to switch between the different use cases (if possible) without a PC connected to the audio interface.

PD. There was an answer asking about the guitar amp output, but it has disappeared. I'll leave this answer as a clarification.

I do not have UCX II, just UCX. But I guess it will be similar in both.

You may create two different snapshots (routings), actually 6 I guess, one for case 1), the other for case 3) in TotalMix using computer and store them to UCX II.

Later, when in standalone mode, you may dial the setting (snapshot), stored beforehand, you desire. No need for computer, they are stored in UCX II.

It should not be difficult to switch between the settings.

4 (edited by waterden3 2024-01-28 13:04:44)

I use the UCX, which is switched from the back panel but the UCXII is powered on and off by depressing the rotary encoder for 2 seconds according to the label above it.

Q 1/2. Yes you can connect the WiiM via spdif as a source. You can then use TotalMix FX to route the output to any of the out channels including the headphone out 7/8. I don't know how the DAC on the UCXII compares with that on the WiiM Pro+, which you would be bypassing if you use its digital out. Alternatively you could use the WiiM’s analog outs and connect these to two of the AN inputs on the UCX. Of course, you would need RCA to TS cables to do this.
Q 3. I guess it depends on the strength of the output but if it’s a line out it should be fine. Again, use TotalMix FX to route it to the outputs connected to your active monitors. I do this using a Line 6 Helix (there are several variants of varying complexity and cost) as the guitar interface and route the stereo output from this to a pair of analog inputs on the UCX, routed to the output pair used for the active monitors.
TotalMix FX is very powerful and not terribly intuitive to use at first but once you get the hang if it it is very straightforward. Worth taking time to master it

Thank you very much @Kubrak and @waterden3! I understand now that I can save snapshots for the TotalMix settings for each use case, but is it easy to select a new snapshot using the menues on the UCX II? Or is this fiddly menu diving?

I do not know about UCX II, it is easy on UCX. Maybe, have a look at user guide.

OK thanks again! Looks like there is a function "Remap Keys" which, if I understand the user guide correctly, should make it possible to assign setup 1 to the MIC/GAIN, setup 2 to REC/PLAY etc. This would load a new setup by simply pressing one of those keys? This would be great!

I use a Wiim Pro Plus with my UCX II. I also use the ARC USB controller with it, as it does make switching between monitors and headphones easier, as well as volume control.

With the ARC is easy to switch between the eight different configs you use when plugged into a computer, and the six when you are on standalone.

Thank you very much @Matmah, this seems like a good idea! I have also seen that midi messages can be used to control the device in standalone mode. This would make for a good wireless solution, using midi over bluetooth. Seems like a device that ticks a lot of use cases!

PD. Great user forum! I have got various helpful replies the very first day! Thanx again!

10 (edited by cupakm 2024-01-30 13:17:21)

hausmeister wrote:

Thank you very much @Kubrak and @waterden3! I understand now that I can save snapshots for the TotalMix settings for each use case, but is it easy to select a new snapshot using the menues on the UCX II? Or is this fiddly menu diving?

You can use key remap for that, so you'd get up to 4 quick snapshot shortcuts, even without the ARC. So no menu diving at all.

You also can fully set a snapshot up, actually 6 of them, completely without TotalMix and any PC.

I use it like it in CC mode on a Linux host. Stand-alone mode does not differ in this regard.

This is really great! The closed you can get to a "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau" smile