Topic: ADI-8 QS unavailable?

Is this product manufactured still? Seems to not be available in various stores...

Also I can get hold of one, am I understanding it right that I can buy the MADI option card and then route MADI inputs and outputs to all of the rest of the ports? (ADAT, AES and Analog)

Best/M

2 (edited by ramses 2024-01-28 20:04:00)

Re: ADI-8 QS unavailable?

The devices usually have a MADI card, maybe only the 1st models not.
You will see if you get an offer.
To get the MADI card single will be too expensive, costed around €500 new.
Just in case you might need different reference levels per port, this is not supported by this device.

Is there a certain reason why you are looking for the ADI-8 QS?

The M-1610 Pro and the M-32 are the more modern devices with more recent converters built-in.
SFPs give you more flexibility for the deployment.
The devices also support AVB, some of the M-32 Pro even Dante, which make them more flexible.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

The devices usually have a MADI card, maybe only the 1st models not.
You will see if you get an offer.
To get the MADI card single will be too expensive, costed around €500 new.
Just in case you might need different reference levels per port, this is not supported by this device.

Is there a certain reason why you are looking for the ADI-8 QS?

The M-1610 Pro and the M-32 are the more modern devices with more recent converters built-in.
SFPs give you more flexibility for the deployment.
The devices also support AVB, some of the M-32 Pro even Dante, which make them more flexible.

As far I understand from the manual I cannot feed the analog and adat ports simultaneously (from MADI) with the M-1610, but if that is not correct let me know. Also the AES ports on the ADI-8 are good to have.

So is the ADI-8 discontinued?

4 (edited by ramses 2024-01-28 21:31:37)

If a device is still on the webpage then it is not fully discontinued, but doesn't necessarily mean that it is currently being built. Due to chip crisis I assume that only the newer designs are being manufactured where the higher demand is ...
The ADI-8 QS is a pure MADI device, designed 2007, M-32 and M-16 converters are from around 2009.

You should compare the technical specs and features and then come to the conclusion whether you want to have older MADI-only devices (maybe from the used market) or devices which are more modern with most likely better specs and more options.

The newer devices all support - besides MADI - also AVB and some also Dante (the models with -D in the device name).

The newer devices are:

M-32 AD Pro, M-32 DA Pro (MADI, AVB) from around 2019 (newer models since 2023: M-32 Pro II series)
M-1610 Pro (MADI, AVB) from around 2021
M-32 Pro AD II, M-32 Pro DA II (MADI, AVB), from 2023
M-32 Pro AD II-D, M-32 Pro DA II-D (MADI, AVB, DANTE), from around 2023

The best choice for you most likely the M-1610 Pro, offering 16 ch AD and 8 ch DA, then you need to buy only one device.
With the M-32 series, you need two devices, one for 32ch AD and one for 32 ch DA.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks, but maybe someone can chime in if my assumption of the shortcomings of the MADI routing of the M-1610 above is correct?

6 (edited by ramses 2024-01-28 22:01:59)

mlprod wrote:

As far I understand from the manual I cannot feed the analog and adat ports simultaneously (from MADI) with the M-1610, but if that is not correct let me know.

mlprod wrote:

Thanks, but maybe someone can chime in if my assumption of the shortcomings of the MADI routing of the M-1610 above is correct?

From where in the manual do you have this information, that you can't route from MADI to analogue outputs and ADAT outputs at the same time?

The information on the webpage sounds, as if there is a routing matrix, and it sounds as if this should be possible.

From Webpage:
"The internal routing matrix provides visual control over all channels side by side - up to eight AVB streams (with a total of 128 channels); the coaxial and (optional) optical MADI ports (with each up to 64 channels); all analog I/O; and the ADAT outputs, for flexible routing between the 272 inputs and 298 outputs."

Manual ch 10.1 - Routing Signals to the outputs
"Each output channel of the M-1610 Pro can receive any input signal. The factory default preset does not contain any routing"

@RME: could you kindly check / confirm, thanks.

Hmm yea that does sound promising indeed. I think I read something about digital to analog and digital to digital modes but I might have misunderstood or mixed up products. Thanks for the input!