1 (edited by hirdesh.irde 2024-02-01 16:25:17)

Topic: RME ADI 2 DAC FS as analog preamplifier

Hi,
Thanks for having me here. I have ordered a RME ADI 2 DAC FS (no PRO). My question is can I use it, apart from DAC and processing, as purely analog preamplifier  bypassing internal DAC and processing.
Thanks

2 (edited by ramses 2024-02-01 16:43:44)

Re: RME ADI 2 DAC FS as analog preamplifier

I wouldn't call the ADI-2 FS an "analogue preamplifier", then IMHO the device would also need analogue inputs like the Pro model, but the ADI-2 DAC FS has no analogue inputs.

But even an ADI-2 Pro would first digitize an analogue input signal, no matter whether the output is analogue or digital. The reason is the design, all DSP features can only happen in the digital domain, so everything goes through the DSP.

Only the ADI-2 FS, with significantly fewer features, supports the routing from an analogue input to an analogue output inside the analogue domain (without AD/DA conversion).

The question is what your demand is, where your preference is.

I wouldn't be too worried, the AD/DA conversion quality and features of the ADI-2 DAC/FS series are outstanding.
Should you require analogue inputs or other features, then you require an ADI-2 Pro FS.
If you need e.g. to connect a turntable, check the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-02 07:46:21)

Just listening to a vinyl disc through my ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

The connected chain is absolutely high end:

• Sony PSX-800 Biotracer turntable.
• Dynavector Karat 17D MK II MC pickup.
• Ortofon T-30 step up transformer.
• ADI-2/4 Pro SE running a dedicated EQ for:
• Raal SR1a ribbon headphones / Jotunheim R.

Running the ADI-2 on 192 kHz leaves nothing to desire.

The RIAA preamp inside ADI-2 is superior to most analog solutions I’ve ever heard.
Bypassing loads of analog electronics, usually needed for the task, pays off with an absolutely transparent sound.

Thanks for quick response guys. Your response has given me a lot of clarity.
My Regards