1 (edited by rme4lyfe 2024-02-03 08:52:33)

Topic: RME UFX+ / Intel Macbook Pro Sonoma boot loop driving me nuts.

Machine: 2019 Intel Macbook Pro. Sonoma 14.3. UFX+ connected via firewire.

So... I tried installing the newest DriverKit drivers because Sonoma was bitching about about the old, presumably kext drivers, becoming obsolete.

Big mistake, apparently!

Before I updated the drivers, I did the firmware update as per usual. It indicated errors, which was disconcerting. Oh well, too late now.

Installed the DriverKit drivers.

When starting up the UFX+ *not* connected to the macbook pro via thunderbolt, UFX+ boots fine and says "Software Version: 46"

When I try to boot the macbook connected w/ the UFX+ via thunderbolt? The UFX+ bootloops on repeat and the macbook does not recognize it.

I've tried all of the advice offered here about manually deleting the old drivers, deleting the "staging" drivers, doing the whole kmutil trigger-panic-medic thing, reinstalling the drivers ... Nothing has worked.

Super frustrated. How do I fix this? Do I have to factory reset the UFX+ or something on another machine to get the firmware in order? What is going on? Thanks.

Re: RME UFX+ / Intel Macbook Pro Sonoma boot loop driving me nuts.

May you connect the device via USB and try the FUT again ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by rme4lyfe 2024-02-03 08:52:56)

I don't know. I guess that might be what I try next. I've now tried hooking it up to another mac, a windows computer ... same behavior. Boot looping once connected via thunderbolt.

I feel like I've inadvertently bricked the damn thing. I've been a faithful RME user for 20 years and never had any trouble, never experienced such a crazy problem.

I blame this on Mac OS switching the way it now conflictingly handles drivers, but it would *certainly* help if there was an RME utility that completely
wipes the machine of *all* RME drivers and lets you start from scratch. It's a total mess as-is.

Surely there's some way to do a factory reset or something. Please help.

4 (edited by ramses 2024-02-03 08:41:16)

You say in your 1st post (and before editing the 3rd) "connected via Firewire". However, the UFX+ lacks Firewire support; it works as a USB or Thunderbolt interface. Could you kindly clarify/detail how you connected the device to either PC or Apple?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by rme4lyfe 2024-02-03 08:54:52)

I apologize, lol, indeed showing my age and amount of being flustered. I meant thunderbolt. edited to clarify.

6 (edited by ramses 2024-02-03 10:36:55)

You're welcome. So you tried to connect through thunderbolt on Mac and PC and you have the same issues.

You said "boot loop" …
To be precise on that, only the UFX+ goes into a boot loop, but the MAC is unaffected and stays "stable"?
And the same happens when connecting the UFX+ to a Windows PC, also via thunderbolt?

The question is, whether this is a hardware problem on the UFX+ or whether this is a driver problem.

Best would be to write a mail to official RME support and to send them a link to this thread.

Try using USB3 as a workaround.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by rme4lyfe 2024-02-03 15:44:16)

I mean that the UFX+ goes into a "boot loop" - turning on and off at a one or two second interval the *moment* i plug it into *any* machine (tried sonoma macs and a windows machine, different drivers) via thunderbolt now. So it's obviously impossible to try a firmware update through that route now.

The weird part is that once disconnected, the UFX+ boots fine and reports SW Version 46.

I will give USB3 a try. Fingers crossed.

8 (edited by rme4lyfe 2024-02-03 17:49:15)

UPDATE:

THANK YOU for the USB suggestion. I was able to connect via USB to a windows computer and re-flash the firmware. All firmware updated successfully! Hallelujah!

The real nail biter was switching it back to the sonoma mac - I reinstalled driver_tb_mac_125 (the NON driver kit version), rebooted, and said a little prayer before plugging the UFX+ back into the mac via thunderbolt.

BOOM! Recognized, WORKING, *and* all of my Totalmix settings intact as if nothing had ever happened.

Thank you! I went to bed last night thinking I'd be crying myself all the way to the bank for a replacement, lol

Cheers!