Topic: Inserting IEM causes power fail

Not used the IEM port before, but thought I'd see what my old pair I haven't heard for ages sound like.

Inserting them trips the DAC into power failure flicking on and off so pulled them straight out. Put another pair of bog standard buds in and the same thing.

I would have thought DC errors but not power supply.

Any help or is this basically a broken unit and I should steer clear of the port? Luckily I use the 6.35mm but wouldn't want it to cause issues for my heKse's if that goes funky.

Re: Inserting IEM causes power fail

ADI-2 DAC‘s IEM port has a separate, completely independent amplifier.

From your description it might indeed be broken.
What exactly was flickering?
You’re sure the IEM doesn’t have a short, it works on other amps?

If ADI-2 still works with the 6.35 mm output you can use it without having to fear it will break your ‘phones.
There are protections built in to prevent any misshapen.

If your ADI-2 is under warranty I’d suggest to get it repaired, and even without warranty get a quote from RME service.

The IEM port is Pentaconn, it won't work with "regular" stereo mini jacks.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

4 (edited by ramses 2024-02-06 12:00:41)

Babaluma wrote:

Hi, are you sure?

I can't remember anything about the ADI-2 DAC's IEM port in combination with "Pentaconn".

AFAIK, the IEM Port of the ADI-2 DAC has an 3.5 mm audio jack (TRS).
The Pentaconn plug has been newly introduced to the ADI-2/4 Pro SE for "normal" balanced headphones (not IEM).

Unfortunately, I do not find any information in the ADI-2 DAC FS manual regarding whether IEM is 3.5 mm or not.

There is already a thread about this topic:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 08#p195308

Please be so kind and double-check your statement. Thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Babaluma wrote:

The IEM socket is standard unbalanced 3.5 mm TRS. There is no Pentaconn on the ADI-2 DAC FS since there is no need for one.

Thanks for the replies, the screen kept flicking to power failure then the normal volume and back to power failure about twice a second. I could hear a clicking (relay?) inside the device.

Sounds like it's hardware related.

The IEMs work with my phone and tried a couple to be sure. I'll enquire about a repair.

Very supportive and useful forum. Thanks all.

7 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-06 15:42:16)

donpereira+1 wrote:

…the screen kept flicking to power failure then the normal volume and back to power failure about twice a second.

Is this the warning message (manual page 33):

Power Fail
Analog I/O’s disabled
Check power supply

In this case:
Are you using the original RME power supply, with the locking connector on the ADI-2 DAC side?

Check if the plug is all in.
It needs to be turned ca. 1/4 revolution while pushing in, to lock.
If seated correctly no silver part of the plug is visible - else it’s only half-way in and making bad contact.

Manual page 7:
Socket for power connection. This socket supports locking type jacks as found on the included RME DC power supply. After inserting the connector carefully turn it by 90° so that it locks. If the unit turns off easily when moved then the connector is NOT fully inserted into the socket!

8 (edited by donpereira+1 2024-02-06 17:20:09)

That's the message that displays, it flicks on and off repeatedly with an audible clicking too.

I've unplugged the power supply and put it back in, has the locking pins turned and seated correctly, no silver showing. The other features all work OK, line out and 6.35mm headphone output. Just the IEM port that causes the issue.

Just tried again as I checked the the buds I used and were dead on one side. So found my old sony buds, checked on my phone first, no issue played fine, plugged them into the DAC, power issue didn't show, horrible crackling in the right side, left bud warmed up to the touch and when putting back into the phone the right driver is dead.

Not putting anything else near it, I hope it didn't kill my IEMs, I thought the protection within it should prevent this.

Edit: Sadly it has killed those as well, one side is less than half as loud than the other, includes when switching cables... Sony's are cracking away like they're in a frying pan and the cheap buds knackered too.

Lesson to anyone else, if the power error message pops up when using the IEM out, get the IEMs out ASAP and do not put anything in the port.

Hopefully RME will repair and find the cause.

9 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-06 20:50:15)

donpereira+1 wrote:

I hope it didn't kill my IEMs, I thought the protection within it should prevent this.
… Edit: Sadly it has killed those…

Sorry to hear!

The IEM out has protections, see manual page 38, but unfortunately the protection itself finally seems to have failed:

Manual page 38:

19.1 General
… Both phone outputs feature mute function, over-current detection, DC protection, plug detection and DSP control, like auto assigning volume, volume ramp up, user interaction at overload detection, and low impedance level meter auto scaling.

The manual narrows this on page 40:

19.5 IEM Out
…Due to the very low output voltage and output power the IEM output does not need DC protection, overload and short circuit detection.