Topic: [Solved] ADI-2 DAC FS Sounds Terrible suddenly (Windows 11)

I upgraded to Win 11 a week ago, installed the latest MADIface and everything was fine.

Yesterday my audio started sounding like trash - very distorted, tinny and distant sounding.

I've verified the latest MADIface is installed and flashed the latest firmware onto the DAC successfully.

I can change options in MADIface and they will be reflected in Windows audio settings and on the front of the DAC.  Some settings sound different than each other, but none sound good.  (Max I can select is 384k)

I've tried removing device from Device Manager and rebooting. 

Driver under Windows Device Manager
"Analog (1+2) (RME ADI-2 DAC)"
Driver: Microsoft
Version 10.0.22621.1

Driver shown in MADIFACE About screen: 
Date 22.01.24
Version 0.9833
Hardware 81

Hoping someone can help.

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-08 22:20:53)

Re: [Solved] ADI-2 DAC FS Sounds Terrible suddenly (Windows 11)

• Try some different USB-ports.

• Try different USB-cables, nothing fancy needed, but for the moment a short one.

• Remove the ADI-2 / Madiface driver, while doing so, absolutely check “Delete driver files“ or they will automatically be reinstalled faster than you can say “huh”.
ADI-2 works driverless if you don’t use ASIO.

• If this doesn’t help, try an ADI-2 reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1, until you see the message: “Reset done.

User Setups and EQ Presets are not deleted.

Or a full factory reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1 and Encoder 2, until you see the message: “Reset done“.

All user Setups and EQ Presets are deleted.
Take notes before, or store them through the Remote App, if you want to keep some.

3 (edited by 22 2024-02-08 23:41:55)

Re: [Solved] ADI-2 DAC FS Sounds Terrible suddenly (Windows 11)

I found the issue... it was my speakers! 

Thank you for sharing the insights, which helped me through the process of elimination.  I'm sure will aid other forum members and site visitors as well.