Topic: [Solved] Problem installing driverkit ufx3

Problem - Mac not seeing my ufx3 after installing driver kit (current on site as of today).
Sonoma 14.3.1, m2 mackbook pro.
Fireface usb settings says Firmware v20, Driver 4.10.

Steps:
1. Had kernel extension drivers running (fine, I might add).
2. Ran installer for driverkit driver_usbdk_mac_410.zip
3. Everything seemed fine, opened terminal to remove kernel drivers, etc. Didn't see any errors. Reboot at end of install.
4. No ufx.
5. Tried installing driverkit again, no go.

Does this have something to do with perviously installing totalmix with the room eq stuff?

Now the ufx3 doesn't show as an audio device. Not sure what Fireface usb settings is really doing because oddly it shows sample rate at 32k after every reboot.

Anyway, not sure how to proceed an am stuck. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: [Solved] Problem installing driverkit ufx3

does Totalmix open ?
As you say Fireface USB settings is showing 32kHz sample rate, then Totalmix should open and work...?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I’m almost sure I heard about exact this issue already some time ago. And maybe I even had it myself once. But at the moment I can’t remember the reason or solution.
During/after the driver installation process, did you allow the third party software in macOS security settings?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

No, total mix won't open. Sample rate on unit says 48k, usb settings says 32.

Update -
1. Installed kernel drivers again, all fine.
2. Ran flash update too. Updated DSP version from 10 to 18. Otherwise, all were the same.
3. Reboot, all good and working.
4. Install driverkit
5. terminal says "/dev/fd/12:18: command not found: compdef"
6. otherwise, it prompts for the sudo pass to remove the kernel extension. All good.
7 everything finished without issue, says reboot, I reboot.
8. No interface again.

For now, I installed the kernel drivers again, but I can't get driverkit to work.

Thanks

In MacOS system preferences Security & privacy - Microphone
Is Totalmix enabled ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Again my question from above:

oli77sch wrote:

did you allow the third party software in macOS security settings?

The described state either misses another reboot or the 'Allow RME developers' step within Security & Privacy ('macOS security settings' might mislead to the Recovery Kernel extension procedure. And it's NOT the microphone setting).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

('macOS security settings' might mislead to the Recovery Kernel extension procedure…).

Might be, but the sentence in my first reply (#3) was clear enough I think.

oli77sch -  Yes that was it. I was sort of expecting the installer to prompt to allow the security settings like with the kernel driver.

One thing odd is that once I did that, and I rebooted after that for good measure, USB settings said 32k sample rate, total mix said 44.1, and the hardware unit said 48. I thought it was still messed up, but changing the sample rate in usb settings made all 3 show the same thing. Neither here nor there, just mentioning it.

Thank you all very much your help and patience, and it's greatly appreciated! I sure do like this device, and total mix is the bomb.

MC wrote:

The described state either misses another reboot or the 'Allow RME developers' step within Security & Privacy ('macOS security settings' might mislead to the Recovery Kernel extension procedure. And it's NOT the microphone setting).

Hello
I have difficulties ton connect My Fireface UC to my new Mac Studio M2 with Sonoma.
I've been working with the kernel kit driver 331
the driver kit driver 410

- I tried first to follow the procedure described on the website, It wasn't successful.
I installed the dkd410, then firmware, and then after several reboot and install of ked331  I could update the firmware ( 135 to 138 )

Now I can see the presence of my up-to-date Fireface in the USB section of my Rapport system.
BUT the Fireface isn't part of the audio peripherals.

- As I read that maybe, the kernel extensions were juste useful for the firmware update, I removed everything and just reinstall the dkd 410. Every time he was asking me to allow something, I did. The Fireface usb setting windows open, "no device connected" and in the same time it asks me to reboot.

- When I do, I try to open Fireface usb settings, with no success.
- Totalmix opens, but I cannot open any window because it doesn't see any device ( logical ).

Everytime I retry a process, I clean all the RME/fireface/totalmix files from my system, disabling the SIP while a short moment to be able to do it properly.

Then I've tried to install ked331 then dkd410 : it asks me to allow an access to terminal, where I'm asked to enter my password, and I get this error message :
error domain=kmerrordomain code=31 "error occurred while building a collection: cannot build collection without binaries as only 1 codeless kexts provided" userinfo={nslocalizeddescription=error occurred while building a collection: cannot build collection without binaries as only 1 codeless kexts provided} margottestemale@mac-studio-de-margot ~ %

Then I've tried to reinstall simply the dkd410 and when I install after it the ked331, and when I try to laugh Fireface usb settings, the computer just crash (!) and the detail when I reboot said the problems comes from kernel REM extensions.

Then I removed in recovery the kernel extensions in the terminal with the command kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/MacintoshHD

Than I retry everything, several times, no success.
I would really appreciate some help, with a procedure step by step if anyone has the patience to do so.
Thanks

11 (edited by oli77sch 2024-03-15 17:27:23)

@margot.testemale
The UC has separate firmware / modes for Windows and macOS. Maybe your unit is set to the wrong one? It has to be selected using the hardware encoder knob on the interface.
See manual on p.10 how to set it up.
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_uc_e.pdf

@oli77sch

Yes that was it. I don't really get how is it possible because I'm pretty sure I didn't change this setting because it has to be done with the RME unplugged !
And when when I switched my Mac I just plugged immediately the Fireface without moving it of even one centimeter.
I'm feeling so grateful now, I barely cried ... thank you so much !

Glad to hear this - you’re welcome!