1 (edited by MichielDeBink 2024-02-16 14:05:36)

Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS R connected to UCX II over ADAT;

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out with my setup, I'm trying to get best latency & conversion quality (ain't we all smile)

I use the UCX II and ADI-2 for realtime fx in Logic, for two separate analog signals (4 channels) simultaneously.
Both devices are connected over ADAT.
For low latency, I've set the clock speed at 192 kHz of the UCX II and ADI-2 Pro FS R.
I'm using the analog line inputs 5 & 6 of the UCX II, which are send over ADAT to the ADI-2, the ADI-2 routes this to it's separate phones 3/4 line output.
The ADI-2 also has two analog inputs, which are routed to the separate analog main outputs 1/2 of the ADI-2.

I hope I can somehow profit from the low latency of the UCX II and superior AD-DA conversion of the ADI-2.

At the moment I'm using the combo as an aggregate device in Logic, but this is slowed down by the latency of the ADI-2.

I'm hoping if someone can help me out with the following questions;

- Are ADAT in channels on the ADI-2 visible in Mac OS audio devices, as SPDIF channels 5 & 6 ?
- Is 192 kHz clock speed o.k. over ADAT, using only two channels ?
- Will AES connection be of extra value in this configuration with limited channels (for now smile, or is the ADAT connection sufficient ?
- Will I benefit of the superior AD/DA conversion of the ADI-2, when analog to ADAT conversion is already done by the UCX II ?
For example: if all analog to ADAT conversion (4 channels) would be done by the UCX II, UCX II could be the sole input device in Logic (instead of an aggregate device with the ADI 2). Doing so, should I also connect the AES cables, cause ADAT won't work as output for four channels at 192 kHz, right ?
I could use the ADI-2 as output device for the four channels in Logic.
This would be a reduction in rtl latency of 11,6 > 8,8 ms (but, as mentioned before, I'm not sure if I will be using the AD/DA conversion of the ADI-2 to it's fullest potential, when the UCX II is taking care of analog to ADAT conversion)
If this could be a solution, does it matter which clock is master ? , and to what Device Mode should the ADI-2 be set ?; at the moment it is set to 'USB' mode (under Basic Mode / Device Mode)
- Is there any smarter routing possible at 192 kHz, that would let me profit of the low latency of the UCX II, and superior conversion of the ADI-2 ?;

Kind regards, thank you for the effort,

Michiel

2 (edited by ramses 2024-02-16 14:46:29)

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS R connected to UCX II over ADAT;

Hi Michiel.

Yes, with 192 kHz you have only 2 of the 4 channels over ADAT (multiplexing of channels to achieve the higher bandwidth).

The converter latency differences of the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE alone between single speed and up to 192 kHz are tiny.
But I, personally, would integrate the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE behind the recording interface (AES or ADAT).

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3hbv8m47wdps6qzajvroy/2024-02-16-Converter-Latency-ADI-2-Pro-FS-R.jpg?rlkey=3bjb7q6lwd5wsea3m8icfg58n&dl=1

I connected my ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to the UFX III,
where it doesn't matter whether you choose AES or ADAT, it makes no real difference.

You can keep USB connected though for 2–3 reasons:
- remote control of ADI-2 Pro using ADI-2 Remote
- firmware updates
- any potential / occasional DVD playback

See my Blog for the integration of the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE when connecting to a recording interface:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

My setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … iii-en-de/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,

Thank you for your reply. As I understand correctly, you are using the ADI-2 as semi standalone, at the end of the chain.
Your setup seems primarily DA, I'm still wondering about the AD part, as mentioned above.

Cheers, Michiel

4 (edited by ramses 2024-02-16 15:33:53)

AD is also possible, only needs a 2nd AES or TOSLINK cable for the other direction.
Like with any other converter that you connect via e.g. ADAT or MADI.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I just wanted to share my setup in case it helps in any way. I also run an ADI 2 Pro fs r be connected to the Fireface UCX II. Im using Studio One as my DAW. I have my ADI 2 Pro connected via AES and as master clock to my Fireface UCX II. Ive configured my routing in TotalMix fx to accommodate this. I monitor everything through my ADI 2 Pro as it also handles all of the conversion. The reason i don't use the ADAT ports is because i also have a Cranborne 500ADAT 500 series rack that i have connected to the UCX II via ADAT so I can use my ADAT ports for expansion.