1 (edited by The Beatsmith 2024-02-18 15:34:14)

Topic: Completely disabling inputs/outputs to free up channel count?

Hi,

Is it possible to completely 'remove' inputs (or outputs) from Totalmix in order to free up channels via external converter (in my case, via MADI)?

For example, I have my Madiface Pro (USB) connected to an SSL Alphalink SX (24 analog ins/outs, and 24 extra via AES digital ins/out possible). The Alphalink SX has a stereo DAC on output 25-26, via digital AES connection, for monitors. I'd like to get 8 extra inputs into the SSL via AES.

However, inputs 1-4 are of course the RME MADIFace Pro - but I never use them. They're 'taking up' 4 channels (as well as confusing the channel/in/out numbering in Totalmix). When I work @ 96KHz, if I want to use 8 extra ins via AES on my SSL converter... well I don't believe I can, because the RME is taking up the first 4. So I'll only get 4 more inputs? I know I can hide the channels in totalmix, but I believe that's just a visual thing.

Is it possible to tell Totalmix to completely disable/ignore those inputs? Similar question on the outputs.

If not, is it possible/easy to implement this in a future update?

Thank you!

Ed

Mac Studio Ultra, MADIFace Pro USB, SSL Alphalink 24 SX/Lavry DA10, macOS 14.3.1, Logic 10.8.1

Re: Completely disabling inputs/outputs to free up channel count?

Those extra AES inputs do not show up on MADI? Where then?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by The Beatsmith 2024-02-18 16:18:02)

I work at 96KHz a lot, so the track count is reduced to 32 in/out.

However, as you mentioned in this thread - the channels above 32 are not functional and not even visible on windows.

If I have RME channels 1-4 + 32 SSL channels, that's 36, and I can't access the last four.

So, I'd like to completely disable the first four, if possible, as I do not use them. Is this possible?

Mac Studio Ultra, MADIFace Pro USB, SSL Alphalink 24 SX/Lavry DA10, macOS 14.3.1, Logic 10.8.1

Hi Beatsmith
As far I understand it right, you mix up the channel amount and numbers on the MADIface pro itself as seen on the computer (in TotalMix app and also in a DAW or similar) and the amount and numbers of the MADI connection between MADIface pro and SSL.
The analog input and output channels (four each direction) of the MADIface have nothing to do with the MADI channels. At 96kHz there are 32 channels in both directions over MADI MADIface <> SSL. But none of the analog ins/outs on the MADIface is 'taking up' any MADI channel!
On the computer you have 36 channels (each inputs and outputs) at 96kHz, four analog on MADIface itself, 32 over MADI. In the system, channels 5-36 are corresponding to MADI 1-32.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

The Beatsmith wrote:

I work at 96KHz a lot, so the track count is reduced to 32 in/out.

Yes, reduced to 32 ch. per direction on MADI connection, but not in total.

The Beatsmith wrote:

However, as you mentioned in this thread - the channels above 32 are not functional and not even visible on windows.

That’s only related to the MADI channels! …

The Beatsmith wrote:

If I have RME channels 1-4 + 32 SSL channels, that's 36, and I can't access the last four.

… so that’s hopefully not true!

The Beatsmith wrote:

So, I'd like to completely disable the first four, if possible, as I do not use them. Is this possible?

Neither possible nor necessary.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Fantastic news. Thanks so much for being so clear in your response, I really appreciate it. I can now hide the RME channels if I wish.

I will celebrate this with a glass of fresh apple juice.

Thanks again!