Topic: UC upgrade advice

Hi there, first time poster, longtime lurker.

I worked with a fireface uc for the past 15 years, served me well. But recently I upgraded my studio (pro acoustics) and speakers (barefoot microstack 45) significantly. I'm looking at upgrading the signal chain now and interested in the adi-2 product line (dac/pro). I do have a few questions i'm hoping someone here could point me in the right direction:

- would the old UC be appropriate to still use as my main interface, sending it to the adi-2, or is it just completely outdated for the purpose / mismatched in quality/features?
- if i can still keep the UC, what would be the optimal way to connect it to the adi-2?
- would the adi-2 dac be sufficient for my needs, or do i need the pro fs? It's hard to distinguish the added benefit of the pro. I don't record, do everything ITB, main use is produce, mixing and mastering.
- what would be the downsides of removing the UC completely and using an adi-2 (dac or pro) by itself as my main audio interface (for my use case of produce/mix/master but no recording)?

thanks so much in advance for your help!!

2 (edited by ramses 2024-02-18 16:32:44)

Re: UC upgrade advice

belnova wrote:

I worked with a fireface uc for the past 15 years, served me well. But recently I upgraded my studio (pro acoustics) and speakers (barefoot microstack 45) significantly. I'm looking at upgrading the signal chain now and interested in the adi-2 product line (dac/pro). I do have a few questions i'm hoping someone here could point me in the right direction:

1- would the old UC be appropriate to still use as my main interface, sending it to the adi-2, or is it just completely outdated for the purpose / mismatched in quality/features?
2- if i can still keep the UC, what would be the optimal way to connect it to the adi-2?
3- would the adi-2 dac be sufficient for my needs, or do i need the pro fs? It's hard to distinguish the added benefit of the pro. I don't record, do everything ITB, main use is produce, mixing and mastering.
4- what would be the downsides of removing the UC completely and using an adi-2 (dac or pro) by itself as my main audio interface (for my use case of produce/mix/master but no recording)?

1- yes
2- using one of the digital I/O ports, best an optical port for getting galvanic isolation, see also my blog article
3- see my blog article
4- IMHO suboptimal, then you are missing TotalMix FX

Integration into your Setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Models, Use Cases (all except ADI-2/4 Pro SE)
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

This document explains/summarizes a lot about the basic cool features of those devices, and most if not all the information about the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is also applicable for the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

With the ADI-2/4 Pro SE, you get additionally these features:
- more recent ESS DAC with even little lower converter latency
- 5 reference levels in combination with the feature Auto Ref Level, a broader range where SNR/Dynamic is being optimized
- if I remember exactly, more D/A filter
- an additional play out path for e.g. a mastering chain
- possibility to connect a turntable, usually MM but with additional preamp also MC cartridges
- new Pentaconn plug for connecting balanced headphones with this new plug type which became popular for this purpose
- a "trig out" port to trigger a device like e.g. power amp to turn on/off (if supported by such a device)

I would choose an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, more flexibility. Maybe even ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
belnova wrote:

1- would the old UC be appropriate to still use as my main interface, sending it to the adi-2, or is it just completely outdated for the purpose / mismatched in quality/features?
2- if i can still keep the UC, what would be the optimal way to connect it to the adi-2?
3- would the adi-2 dac be sufficient for my needs, or do i need the pro fs? It's hard to distinguish the added benefit of the pro. I don't record, do everything ITB, main use is produce, mixing and mastering.
4- what would be the downsides of removing the UC completely and using an adi-2 (dac or pro) by itself as my main audio interface (for my use case of produce/mix/master but no recording)?

1- yes
2- using one of the digital I/O ports, best an optical port for getting galvanic isolation, see also my blog article
3- see my blog article
4- IMHO suboptimal, then you are missing TotalMix FX

Integration into your Setup:

Models, Use Cases (all except ADI-2/4 Pro SE)
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

This document explains/summarizes a lot about the basic cool features of those devices, and most if not all the information about the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is also applicable for the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

With the ADI-2/4 Pro SE, you get additionally these features:
- more recent ESS DAC with even little lower converter latency
- 5 reference levels in combination with the feature Auto Ref Level, a broader range where SNR/Dynamic is being optimized
- if I remember exactly, more D/A filter
- an additional play out path for e.g. a mastering chain
- possibility to connect a turntable, usually MM but with additional preamp also MC cartridges
- new Pentaconn plug for connecting balanced headphones with this new plug type which became popular for this purpose
- a "trig out" port to trigger a device like e.g. power amp to turn on/off (if supported by such a device)

I would choose an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, more flexibility. Maybe even ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

thanks for your quick response, i'm leaning towards the ADI-2 Pro although i'm currently not really in need of any of the additional features, more of a future-proofing consideration. However, i'm still worried about the performance of the UC in conjunction with the ADI. This is a decade old soundcard by now, how does it match up to the more recent rme cards like the ucx and ufx ones, in terms of pure output sound quality? Would an upgrade to any of these be a significant step up, or would i just be fine continuing using my UC?

also: what's your recommendation for cables to connect the UC to the ADI?

thanks so much for your time!!

4 (edited by ramses 2024-02-18 20:18:29)

belnova wrote:

thanks for your quick response, i'm leaning towards the ADI-2 Pro although i'm currently not really in need of any of the additional features, more of a future-proofing consideration. However, i'm still worried about the performance of the UC in conjunction with the ADI. This is a decade old soundcard by now, how does it match up to the more recent rme cards like the ucx and ufx ones, in terms of pure output sound quality? Would an upgrade to any of these be a significant step up, or would i just be fine continuing using my UC?
also: what's your recommendation for cables to connect the UC to the ADI?
thanks so much for your time!!

What do you mean by "Performance of the UC"?

You have lossless transfer of audio data via USB between PC and UC.
You have lossless transfer of audio data between UC and ADI-2 Pro via TOSLINK, finally AD/DA on the ADI-2 Pro FS in best quality by the ADI-2 Pro. By design the ADI-2 Pro uses its FS (femto second) clock even if the UC is clock master.

That's "the trick", that you can connect an ADI-2 Pro in standalone mode to any recording interface to improve the monitoring. It is best to connect it additionally via USB to be able to carry out firmware upgrades and use the ADI-2 Remote software.

Which cable to use? Well, any TOSLINK cable. As I mentioned, it is best to use an optical connection (not coaxial SPDIF) to have galvanic isolation. TOSLINK cables from Mutec are well suited and do not have unnecessarily thick sheathing, which makes them unnecessarily stiff, see https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_1m.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

As long you only use a digital output connection from UC to ADI-2 (SPDIF for example), there is no difference in sound quality from older to newer devices.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

thank you both so much for the reassuring comments, just wanted to dot the i's and cross the t's. all set!

Seems to me you only need a RME ADI-2 FS unless you want the really high sampling rates?

gregb wrote:

Seems to me you only need a RME ADI-2 FS unless you want the really high sampling rates?

Agreed

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

gregb wrote:

Sorry, but this statement makes no sense to me.

The ADI-2 DAC FS and ADI-2 Pro FS have more useful features than only "high sample rates".

There was no indication from the OP that he wanted to use the least expensive device.

10 (edited by belnova 2024-02-19 13:23:43)

hey all, in the end I ordered the Pro, will be here in a few days. I'm well aware the DAC would have covered 95% of my needs, but as i said in a previous post, future-proofing is never a bad thing. And thanks Ramses, i ordered the Mutec cables as well.

Hope everything will turn out smooth, the sheer amount of customization and settings on these units is daunting, like learning to fly a small airplane smile hope i won't mess it up. Thanks again guys for your help and welcoming me to the group!

edit: to be clear, the regular FS does lack important features i need

11 (edited by ramses 2024-02-19 13:52:31)

belnova wrote:

hey all, in the end I ordered the Pro, will be here in a few days. I'm well aware the DAC would have covered 95% of my needs, but as i said in a previous post, future-proofing is never a bad thing. And thanks Ramses, i ordered the Mutec cables as well.

Hope everything will turn out smooth, the sheer amount of customization and settings on these units is daunting, like learning to fly a small airplane smile hope i won't mess it up. Thanks again guys for your help and welcoming me to the group!

edit: to be clear, the regular FS does lack important features i need

Excellent choice.

Integration and use is easy and straightforward:
- install MADIface ASIO driver so that the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is operateable via USB and that you can install firmware upgrades
- for the integration into your environment I sent you already the link, here again.
All that you need is more or less Basic Mode AD/DA, CC-Mode Multichannel.
Auto Ref Level and dynamic loudness is also easy to configure.