1 (edited by sqezavela 2024-02-19 16:14:26)

Topic: rme ad-2 dac fs with focusrite 18i8 3rdgen

Good day good people,

i was reading about rme adi-2 fs and i wanted to up my current setup since it is exactly what i am looking for

At the moment i have Adam Av7 and sub, plus lcd x, running into focusrite scarlet 18i8.
I use it for music production and music listening

My question is can i make connection with s/pdif optical (or as i see now maybe just coaxial) between 2 devices? Is this the easiest and best way to connect them
And if yes, should then adi-2 be the last in my chain

Thank you,
M

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-19 16:18:40)

Re: rme ad-2 dac fs with focusrite 18i8 3rdgen

As far as I can see Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen doesn‘t have SPDIF Optical out.

But you can use Scarlett’s SPDIF Coax out to connect ADI-2 DAC, to use it with your speakers and headphones.

Perfect, i just needed a confirmation that i understand this correctly before buying one.
Much appreciated

4 (edited by sqezavela 2024-02-21 15:44:23)

KaiS wrote:

As far as I can see Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen doesn‘t have SPDIF Optical out.

But you can use Scarlett’s SPDIF Coax out to connect ADI-2 DAC, to use it with your speakers and headphones.

How would you go about connecting 18i8 with adi-2 pro fsr? Since pro fsr doesn't have Coax, and 18i8 has Optical input?

Or should i just drop 18i8 from chain and just use Adi-2 pro fsr as a main interface/dac/amp?(until later down the line i can afford rme interface)

Thank you in advance

5 (edited by ramses 2024-02-21 16:51:26)

Whats your problem, didn't you talk about ADI-2 DAC FS? But also ADI-2 Pro FS has SPDIF coaxial.

Both is possible:

PC------Focusrite---SPDIF OUT (coax)----------------------SPDIF IN (coax)-------------------------ADI-2 DAC FS

or

PC------Focusrite---SPDIF OUT (coax)----------------------SPDIF IN (coax)---Breakout Cable---ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-22 00:23:32)

sqezavela wrote:

How would you go about connecting 18i8 with adi-2 pro fsr? Since pro fsr doesn't have Coax, and 18i8 has Optical input?

ADI-2 Pro has SPDIF Coax and Optical, and AES input and output connectors.

Coax and AES is in the supplied breakout cable that goes to the D-sub connector:https://www.rme-audio.de/files/uploads/RME-Products/Accessories/Cables/EBU-SPDIF.jpg

sqezavela wrote:

Or should i just drop 18i8 from chain and just use Adi-2 pro fsr as a main interface/dac/amp?(until later down the line i can afford rme interface)

If your setup works as intended, there’s no need to do so.

Great, thank you
This helped me understand it better.

Best regards,
M

8 (edited by sqezavela 2024-02-29 13:38:42)

KaiS wrote:
sqezavela wrote:

Coax and AES is in the supplied breakout cable that goes to the D-sub connector:https://www.rme-audio.de/files/uploads/RME-Products/Accessories/Cables/EBU-SPDIF.jpg

sqezavela wrote:

I see that breakout cable has left and right channel
So when buying a cable it should be  RCA Male to split Left and Right RCA Male?
Because Focusrite 18i8 has Coax in and out, i presume stereo

or both input and output should be connected and i now see cables offers

9 (edited by rawac 2024-02-29 17:43:07)

sqezavela wrote:

So when buying a cable it should be  RCA Male to split Left and Right RCA Male? ...

No and no!

The RCAs are SPDIF, red is out, white is in. There is no left and right cable in digital transmission. Analog in and out are XLRs and TRSs. Please read the manual, especially chapter 20. Analog Inputs and 21. Analog Outputs.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

will do, thank you again for your help, i was a bit confused. Will check up manual

11 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-01 09:54:54)

sqezavela wrote:
KaiS wrote:
sqezavela wrote:

sqezavela wrote:

So when buying a cable it should be  RCA Male to split Left and Right RCA Male?
Because Focusrite 18i8 has Coax in and out, i presume stereo

SPDIF Coax has left+right in one line.

On the breakout cable:
• Red is ADI-2 output and goes to Focusrite Coax in.
• White is ADI-2 input and goes to Focusrite Coax out.

No need to buy anything.
Any basic paired RCA cable you got lying around will do.
Critical length with basic cables starts at ca. 3-5 m.

In my Studio I have bridged distances of over 20 m using 75 Ohm low loss satellite antenna cables.

yes, i will have them on my desk, staked so cable will be 0.5 m long at max.
I was a bit confused with color scheme, with rca right being red channel/ left being white. But as you explained me in previous post with digital transmission there is no left and right, in this case.
It's all clear now!
Really looking forward to get one. I have decided for Adi-2 pro fs r, waiting for the order to be confirmed

13 (edited by sqezavela 2024-03-07 10:26:57)

Just want to thank you all one more time for all the help provided.
Been enjoying in adi-2 pro fsr be for few days, going trough rme forum and tinkering, finding a setup that suits my preferences.

Such an amazing device
Best regards,
M