Topic: ADI-2/4 PRO SE Pentaconn Balance Mode

I have a pair of headphones with a Pentaconn balanced cable, and when I plug it into my ADI-2/4 Pro SE, only Phones Out 3/4 is displayed.  I set the Ref Level of Phones  Out 3/4 to Hi-Power and Auto Ref Level is off.  Is there any indication that the device is actually in True Balanced mode?

It seems to be working ok, and I was able to check that the left/right balance were working and the volume level is adjusting with the volume controller, but it just seems like there would be some indication that the device was actually in True Balanced mode.

The headphones are Dan Clark Audio Stealths, and the impedance is supposedly 23 ohms flat.  Everything seems fine, but if I am missing something or something is not working correctly, I don't want to be surprised with some immediate change in volume level if something is not operating correctly and it switches on me.

Re: ADI-2/4 PRO SE Pentaconn Balance Mode

I noticed on the Volume Phones 3/4 screen, it shows Hi-Power bal., so it seems all is well.  Sounds wonderful, but I wanted to make sure I was not going to inadvertently blow my ear drums out.

The manual, on page 47 does state: "When using the Pentaconn socket, the unit automatically switches the output channel Phones 3/4 to Balanced mode."

Off to enjoy some music.

3 (edited by ramses 2024-02-21 18:28:51)

Enable Auto Ref Level, then the power depends solely on the volume knob in the front.
If you do not use Auto Ref Level, then you can switch between Lo- and High- Power.

Balanced Phones mode
As before, but:
 Maximum output level: +27.5 dBu (18.4 V) @ 0 dBFS
 Output levels switchable: IEM +7 dBu, Lo-Power +13 dBu, Hi-Power +25 dBu
 Output levels switchable: IEM 1.73 V, Lo-Power 3.46 V, Hi-Power 13.8 V
 Output impedance: 0.2 Ohm
 Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +25 dBu: 120 dB (AES17), 122 dBA
 Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +13 / +7 dBu: 119 dB (AES17), 121 dBA
 Minimum load impedance IEM @ +7 dBu: 8 Ohm
 Minimum load impedance Lo-Power @ +13 dBu: 12 Ohm
 Minimum load impedance Hi-Power @ +25 dBu: 40 Ohm
 Max power @ 0.001% THD: 4 W per channel
 Channel separation: > 130 dB @ 1 kHz

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yq9p9br2sybpyvqfrbrl4/2024-02-21-ADI-2-Remote-ADI-2-Pro-FS-R-BE-Phones-34-AutoRefLevel.jpg?rlkey=68tu5yrx69wezbft2fqqw728a&dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-22 01:09:22)

crazybaby wrote:

… I wanted to make sure I was not going to inadvertently blow my ear drums out.

crazybaby wrote:

…The headphones are Dan Clark Audio Stealths, and the impedance is supposedly 23 ohms flat.

DCA doesn’t tell the full specs.

According to various sources Stealth’s sensitivity is 83 to 87 dB/mW.
With ADI-2/4 Pro SE balanced delivering ca. 2500 mW into 23 Ohm, the resulting full scale level is ca. 117 to 121 dBSPL.

For a momentary (few seconds) exposure, this level will hurt a little, but does no permanent damage to your ears.

KaiS wrote:

DCA doesn’t tell the full specs.

According to various sources Stealth’s sensitivity is 83 to 87 dB/mW.
With ADI-2/4 Pro SE balanced delivering ca. 2500 mW into 23 Ohm, the resulting full scale level is ca. 117 to 121 dBSPL.

For a momentary (few seconds) exposure, this level will hurt a little, but does no permanent damage to your ears.

Sure, but there is also the cost of humiliation with having to deal with my pants full of poop.