Topic: Roon+ Multichannel support

Hello,

it is possible to use the ADI-2 or the 2/4 Pro for a 4.0 multichannel setup in Roon?

The RME unit should be connected to my Intel NUC mit Roon ROCK. I use 4 active speakers with a analogue XLR input.

I read the manuals already, but are not sure if it would work.

Thanks.

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-22 19:36:33)

Re: Roon+ Multichannel support

RME ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2/4 Pro SE both have 4 analog output channels.
They can be accessed via USB.

Have a look on manual page 40 (Pro) / 43 (Pro SE):

17.4.2 Class Compliant Multi-channel mode
… USB connected … will feed all outputs separately (8 channels).

The digital outputs can be addressed too:
AES, and Optical/Coax.

This can be useful for future extensions into a 6- or mor channels system.

3 (edited by Kadenz 2024-02-22 20:12:38)

Thank you for for the hint to the manual. That it works is simply great. I am seriously interested in ADI 2/4 Pro SE now.

I would only use the analogue outputs 1/2 and 3/4 to my active speakers. How about the volume control? Does it control the 4 channels simultaneously? It is possible to use the DSP from Roon for speaker management? What sample rates are possible? Is a direct conversion of DSD (without processing of course) possible?

Please treat me like an absolute beginner. All input is most welcome. wink

4 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-23 00:40:27)

Kadenz wrote:

How about the volume control? Does it control the 4 channels simultaneously?

Yes, volume control of channel 1/2 and 3/4 can be linked.

Kadenz wrote:

It is possible to use the DSP from Roon for speaker management?

This is a Roon thing, so nothing speaks against that.
ADI-2 DA-converts whatever you throw at it.

Kadenz wrote:

What sample rates are possible?

All, up to 768 kHz.

There are DSP processing limits above 192 kHz (manual page 17):

”At sample rates 352.8 kHz and up the Bass, Treble and Loudness function is deactivated.”

”At sample rates 705.6 kHz and 768 kHz the number of available EQ channels is reduced to 2 (1 x stereo). EQ can still be used with Analog Input, Line Out 1/2 or Phones Out 3/4, but only one of these.”

Kadenz wrote:

Is a direct conversion of DSD (without processing of course) possible?

Yes, including volume control which in this case is executed by the DAC chip.

”You won’t notice that, volume operation at the ADI-2/4 Pro SE is seamless and behaves identical in any mode.” (manual page 17 again).

If DSD Direct really makes sense for your case depends.

You sacrifice all DSP processings, including those inside Roon I think (speaker management).
Roon’s DSD to PCM conversion with a high sample rate is a valid alternative too.

In my experience everything from 88.2 kHz and above sounds the same.
For vinyl turntable I usually set 192 kHz, which is 100% transparent.

5 (edited by Kadenz 2024-02-23 10:36:03)

I use DSD direct only in a very few cases and have no concerns about using 32 or 64 bit DSPs with conversion. The most important thing is the ability for the discrete 4 output channels. I read the manual and I am excited about its features like a fully programmable loudness curve and the possibilities to change the behaviour of bass and treble control.

Are there adapters included for Line Output 3/4 because my Rears have balanced (XLR) input only? If not included are there suggestions which ones to use?

6 (edited by waedi 2024-02-23 11:10:53)

Regular cables TRS male to XLR male will work.
https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_em_6_mv_elements.htm

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thank You guys!

Ah, that are balanced outputs. I should read the manual more carefully now.

One last question, befor it is getting serious about shopping. I read a lot about the Windows and Mac OS compatibility and drivers. Does the ADI-2/4 Pro SE works out of the box with Linux (Roon ROCK, Ubuntu Server) in 4.0 multichannel mode? Does somebody maybe use the unit with this configuration in Roon?

8 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-23 13:54:27)

Kadenz wrote:

… Does the ADI-2/4 Pro SE works out of the box with Linux (Roon ROCK, Ubuntu Server) in 4.0 multichannel mode? …

Manual page 68:

“29. General“

“The ADI-2/4 Pro SE operates in Class Compliant mode (UAC 2.0), a standard that is natively supported by operating systems like iOS, Mac OS X, Linux and Windows 10 (since 1709). No proprietary drivers are required, the device will be directly recognized.“