Topic: Feature request: Discrete Power On IR code

Thank you for publishing the Infrared remote codes (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28980). Much appriciated!

One request: Please create a additional code for power on

Right now there seem to be two IR commands regarding power:

• Power toggle

• Discrete power off

Remote keys    hexadecimal    binary    Full name           
Power On    20    00100000    Power Toggle           
Power Off    14    00010100    Additional Power Off command

Use case for a discrete "power on" is robustness in scripting and automation. One should be able to send "power on" regardless of current state of device:

• If the device is off -> it will turn on

• if the device already turned on ->  it will stay turned on.

There is no easy way to determine if the device is on or off. And right now one would have to use the "power toggle" command. It will work if the device is turned off. But unfortunately this will occasionally accidentally power off the device if it is already on.

Note that the "power off" command already works like this. It works flawless in simple automations.

Thanks for creating a great product!

Re: Feature request: Discrete Power On IR code

The toggle function is based on the front button, the power off based on the DSP control of that button. There is no way to send a pure power on. This would require to reprogram the power button (which can not be done by the user), plus additional signalling lines to the buttons µcontroller that don't exist.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-26 16:03:40)

FJ-B wrote:

There is no easy way to determine if the device is on or off.

It is.

If you need to certainly switch power on, send a combined “power off” / [3 s Pause] / “discrete power toggle” - command.

Then ADI-2 starts in the defined state ”off” and “power toggle” will turn it on.

MC wrote:

The toggle function is based on the front button, the power off based on the DSP control of that button. There is no way to send a pure power on. This would require to reprogram the power button (which can not be done by the user), plus additional signalling lines to the buttons µcontroller that don't exist.

Thank you for your response. Even though it is not what I would like to hear, it is interesting to get some insight how the IR codes function. I’m a software developer and thought it would be relatively easy to expose the function on the microcontroller. But I’m not a hardware guy so never imagined it would have to be connected to a physical button.

KaiS wrote:
FJ-B wrote:

There is no easy way to determine if the device is on or off.

It is.

If you need to certainly switch power on, send a combined “power off” / [3 s Pause] / “discrete power toggle” - command.

Then ADI-2 starts in the defined state ”off” and “power toggle” will turn it on.

Yes you could do it that way, the end result would be that the device is definitely powered on afterwards. But it would result in a lot of relais clicking. My ADI-2 DAC clicks about 4 times when turned on and I hear two clicks when it turns off. That would definitely not be ideal.

I’d rather plug the ADI-2 DAC into a smart plug that measures power (like a Shelly Plug S for example) and do an extra check to determine if the device is already on by the number of Watts being consumed.

Thank you for thinking along though!