Topic: macOS Sonoma crash (kernel panic) with driver 3.31

Hi there,

I've been using a MacBook Pro with an old Fireface 400 (through USB-C to thunderbolt and thunderbolt to firefire 800 adapters) successfully for at least 6 months. Just a week ago I added a Fireface UC through a USB hub attached to my Dell monitor, which connects to the macbook over USB-C. Since adding the UC I've had two macOS crashes - kernel panics - which, in the crash dump, show the cause to be the RME USB driver. It appears to occur when the macbook is left alone and maybe goes to sleep - which (I think) disconnects the Dell display and the USB hub.

RME folks, any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Apple M2 Max, 64 GB, Sonoma 14.2.1
Fireface 400, Driver 3.41, Firmware 1.71
Fireface UC, Driver 3.31, Firmware 127

Thanks,
Michael

Re: macOS Sonoma crash (kernel panic) with driver 3.31

Mac Sleep mode has always been iffy about reconnecting USB peripherals, best to avoid sleep if you can.

Also the USB hub of the monitor is not ideal, please connect direct to a USB port on the Mac.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

>> Also the USB hub of the monitor is not ideal, please connect direct to a USB port on the Mac.

Point taken. I do share the Fireface UC (via the monitor) with a 2nd MacBook - the monitor can switch between the two MacBooks and switches the USB hub at the same time.

I can tolerate driver errors when switching but it would be preferable not to crash macOS completely. (I have many apps and a virtual machine open on both MacBooks, and VM's don't like the host OS crashing either.)

Thanks,
Michael

If you have a crash report - send it to us...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just sent a macOS crash report through the RME website contact form. Let me know if you'd like me to post it here also. (The crashes are happening daily and reliably for me, with the setup described above. The only way to avoid it is to physically disconnect the USB to the Fireface UC every time before I walk away from my MacBook for any significant length of time.

And I see someone else has posted macOS crash reports today in another thread!

Michael

I did not receive a crash report so far. Try to send it through the forum mailer.

Usually our drivers do not have an issue with surprise removal (or HotPlug) - that is standard Plug&Play behaviour. You seem to support that as you wrote switching the UC off first will prevent the crash. You could also just pull out the USB cable, should be the same.

If there is a crash because the (external) hub is unexpectedly removed then this seems to be a very unique issue and I am not sure our driver is crashing here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME