1 (edited by Holmberg 2024-02-28 16:55:02)

Topic: Fireface 800 + Mac studio

Hi!

I have been using my excellent and old firewire Fireface 800 on my Apple Macbook pro 2018 OS Ventura 13.5.1, no problem.

I will now upgrade my studio with a new Mac Studio, Apple M2 Max with 12‑core CPU, 30‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine and 64 GB unified memory.

Q1: will my Fireface 800 work?
Q2: What audio interface must I buy if it wont work?

Please point me to the correct info on this subject.

Thank you.

Re: Fireface 800 + Mac studio

1 Most probably Yes, With the two Apple adapters.
2 You "must" not buy anything. You must take time and tell what you need, how many microphone inputs, how many analog inputs etc.
Do you want to have the flagship top-notch interface ?
The UFX lll is the actual leader. But may be the UCX ll is already perfect for you.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thank you very much waedi. But "probably" is not really the answer I'm looking for.

Q1: Is anyone here on the forum using this combo - FF800+Mac Studio- with success?

Q2: I am perfectly happy with 8 balanced ins and 8 out, I have all the outboard, mic pres I need, so I guess the FF802 FS is an option?

4 (edited by ramses 2024-02-28 16:47:09)

Hi Holmberg, welcome to the RME forum.

Holmberg wrote:

Q2: I am perfectly happy with 8 balanced ins and 8 out, I have all the outboard, mic pres I need, so I guess the FF802 FS is an option?

Judging from your current FF800, the options are:
a) 802 FS
b) UFX II (if you need MADI, go UFX III)

With the 802 FS, you cannot store everything in TM FX snapshots.
Therefore, I would recommend the UFX II. Additionally, it has the richer feature set, including DURec.

Differences you can see in my Excel:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156

I would recommend selling the FF800. Why? It's old hardware, the design of FF800 is now 20y (!) old.

a) Microsoft and Apple ceased FireWire support in their OS. Some people still get it working, and as long as this is the case, sell it now to still get good money for it. If you wait for too long, it can happen that you get much lesser money for it, then the cross-financing will not be so good.

b) Converter quality: please look at this comment from somebody who migrated from an older FF800 to a more recent UFX II: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 48#p215048. Meanwhile, we have more modern converters in the devices, which deliver in combination with the excellent analog section a sound quality which is close to expensive high-end devices. The UFX II and III have an enhanced analog section with AKM converters known from the well-known reference converter ADI-2 Pro FS.

I think it's about time to think about an upgrade.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you.

Looking at the specs on the Babyface I think it will be sufficiant?

7 (edited by Holmberg 2024-03-18 10:35:24)

My trusty old fireface 800 is now up and running with my brand new Mac Studio M2!

RME is fantastic.

Using 2 Apple adapters and following this video:

https://youtu.be/Ilkwtb2MKrM?si=ml4-AEM0cybGy_aY