1 (edited by 9Cows 2024-02-29 12:30:28)

Topic: Add OR Move To RME BabyFace Pro Fs

Guys! There may be a bunch of topics on this already - but I just wanted to get your opinions.

I am a casual bass guitar player & my current rig is -
Bass Guitar -> Focusrite 2i2 Gen 4 -> Macbook Air M1 -> BiasFx 2 or Amped bass (amp & cab simulators) -> RME ADI 2 DAC FS (VIA USB) -> to Genelec 7040B + Genelec 8030

My requirement is fairly simple -
1 - An Audio interface that can work with iPAD.

Issues -
1 - In the current setup if I have to use the scarlet with the iPAD - I need to use a converter in the middle to create a SPDIF out to the ADI DAC FS Digital inputs - to use with my Genelecs. - This here is my biggest issue.
2 - This is too many pieces to work with.
3 - I would ideally want a single piece of equipment to do it all &
BABYFACE Pro FS fits the bill.

HOWEVER -
1 - If I use the BabyFACE as an audio interface to work with the ADI 2 DAC FS it solves my requirement + issues #1&2
2 - It also allows me to take it along as my portable rig everywhere - without having to unplug my speakers.

BUT - I was curious to know -
1 - In terms of sound quality & usage as a day to day DAC - can the babyface PRO FS replace the RME ADI 2 DAC FS? As in when I am not playing, I use this setup to listen to music (this setup is in my office)
2 - Or would you advice to keep both Babyface & DAC FS?

****I do not use the DSP/EQ features in the ADI 2 DAC FS, got pretty flat response just with toggle switches on Genelecs.

Re: Add OR Move To RME BabyFace Pro Fs

Hi
For sure the Babyface pro FS is an excellent interface for use on iPad. I would say it’s a step up from the 2i2. I can’t tell you about audible difference to the ADI-2 DAC. I don’t think it’s huge.
You could also consider to sell the DAC and buy an ADI-2 pro which also has analog inputs and works as a class compliant device on iPad. Or you go for a bigger RME interface, UCX II, UFX II or III … many possibilities to choose from.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Voting point goes to : Babyface Pro FS

I would sell the other two devices and use the Babyface only.
Without any comparison of technical numbers, just from the feeling, less cables, less heating units, less complex setup, and affordable.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Happy babyface pro fs user here too!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

I have the bfp fs as well and love it. But if you are a hi fi person who cares about tiny details you may notice a difference. It wouldn’t bother me but there are plenty of people who that sort of thing dies bother.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

6 (edited by ramses 2024-03-01 17:19:34)

oli77sch wrote:

Hi
For sure the Babyface pro FS is an excellent interface for use on iPad. I would say it’s a step up from the 2i2. I can’t tell you about audible difference to the ADI-2 DAC. I don’t think it’s huge.
You could also consider to sell the DAC and buy an ADI-2 pro which also has analog inputs and works as a class compliant device on iPad. Or you go for a bigger RME interface, UCX II, UFX II or III … many possibilities to choose from.

to -1 The analog inputs on the ADI-2 Pro FS are no instrument inputs.
to -2 ADI-2 DAC also works class compliant according to manual

Least cost: combination of BBF Pro FS and ADI-2 DAC FS (as he already owns the ADI-2 DAC FS).

An alternative might be:

UCX II - more flexibility, could possibly connect sub and satellites and use new feature room EQ
             Possibly Instr inputs have higher gain range to be checked .. just as a check point
             Definitvely more options:
             Autoset - always useful for finding proper input gain for Instr and Mic inputs
             DURec for standalone or backup recordings
             Display
             Full implementation of FX chip
             Mic Pres with 75 dB gain range
             Better headphone outputs
             More reflevels supported on inputs and outputs

UFX II - all as UCX II, but even more quality, ports, possibilities
             has the analog section of UFX III, which uses the converters of ADI-2 Pro FS
             Instrument inputs have a higher gain range if I remember right.
             19" but worth every penny.
             More reflevels supported on inputs and outputs
             Fully independend AES and 2x ADAT ports which now all can be set to optical SPDIF

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

to -1 The analog inputs on the ADI-2 Pro FS are no instrument inputs.
to -2 ADI-2 DAC also works class compliant according to manual

My intention was to make clear the ADI-2 pro could be an option which
- works directly on the iPad (for this I mentioned the class compliant ability)
- is in the same 'sound league' as ADI-2 DAC
- has analog inputs which can be used for the guitar with an instrument preamp in front or such (that was indeed a bit misleading from my side in the post above).

8 (edited by ramses 2024-03-01 21:15:44)

> My intention was to make clear the ADI-2 pro could be an option which works directly on the iPad
> (for this I mentioned the class compliant ability)

He already has the ADI-2 DAC FS, and now you tell him, why he should get an ADI-2 Pro and you list several features.

If you tell it this way, it sounds as if CC mode would be a unique feature of the ADI-2 Pro
and as if the ADI-2 DAC wouldn't have it, but this is not the case.
The ADI-2 DAC FS also has Class Compliant mode, so this is no reason for him to buy the Pro model.
Do you get my point now?

> has analog inputs which can be used for the guitar with an instrument preamp in front or such

One device more only for having an instrument input? Doesn't make much sense to me because he wants to have
a small setup. As nice as the ADI-2 Pro FS is, it is missing TM FX.
If he needs to have two devices anyway, then it would be much better to combine an RME recording interface with ADI-2 DAC FS. I see no merit to in using an ADI-2 Pro FS alone.

I see it this way.

1. 1st objective, get a good working recording interface with TotalMix FX as a basement for your work.
I would use the BBF Pro FS only then, if you really need mobility.
UCX II and above have a much better feature set. I do not want to list some details again.
Open your mind, read the manual, have yourself a look.

2. If you want to have the very best for your monitoring section, then get an ADI-2 DAC or PRO FS additionally.
It has so useful features for monitoring.

3. If you want to have a (one!) recording interface which does not have all features of an ADI-2 DAC FS / Pro FS R BE,
but the proven converter of the ADI-2 Pro FS series, then get UFX II.
Or UFX III if you want to expand your environment later.

An 802 FS is lacking for my taste the possibility to save and recall gain settings in TM FX snapshots and workspaces.
It is an option to save money, but I would personally prefer the "real deal" instead (UFX II or UFX III).

My $0.02 on this topic.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

He already has the ADI-2 DAC FS, and now you tell him, why he should get an ADI-2 Pro and you list several features.

??
No, I never told to someone, (s)he should do something.
My words were 'you could consider…'

ramses wrote:

If you tell it this way, it sounds as if CC mode would be a unique feature of the ADI-2 Pro
and as if the ADI-2 DAC wouldn't have it, but this is not the case.

If you think so…?

ramses wrote:

The ADI-2 DAC FS also has Class Compliant mode, so this is no reason for him to buy the Pro model.
Do you get my point now?

Yes, I do understand. Sorry to say that, but do you also understand what I write?
The OP likes the sound quality of the ADI-2 DAC. With the ADI-2 pro he could have this, but also direct analog inputs without an additional interface. And …

ramses wrote:

One device more only for having an instrument input? Doesn't make much sense to me because he wants to have
a small setup.

… that’s surely true, but as a guitarist he maybe already has a preamp or such. If not, of course the ADI-2 pro makes no sense.

Beside this in my first reply I already stated about the high quality of the Babyface pro FS (meant as a recommendation).

10 (edited by ramses 2024-04-03 09:32:25)

>> If you tell it this way, it sounds as if CC mode would be a unique feature of the ADI-2 Pro
>> and as if the ADI-2 DAC wouldn't have it, but this is not the case.

> If you think so…?

I looked into the manual. Any doubts on this?

Regarding the rest … it is all in the area of personal experience and preferences, and also us two might have different tastes. I was only curious about some statements of yours and therefore asked back.
I do not see this as a kind of fight or to win, it's simply about information exchange, views to find hopefully the best solution for the person who asked. This is the focus for me.

There are indeed alternative solutions possible, it depends much on
- how he wants to use the device, how he wants the workflow to be
- how much money he would like to spend
- whether he thinks that he could work efficiently without TM FX (and maybe without knowing TM FX

You and me, we also have different experiences and probably also workflows, thus slightly different requirements.
And please, its for me not about to win, I try to find solutions that will really please and support him.

Therefore, I tend to recommend things, which give him not only a solid based but also many options,
so that he has a chance to develop his workflow to find his own optimum one.
If you choose only a reference converter without TM FX, then the capabilities of the unit dictate your workflow.

With TotalMix FX, you have more freedom. You can save routings in snapshots, easily recall them depending on the current use case. This and many other things give him more options to develop an optimum workflow because you have many more capabilities.

That said, my recommendation is, to have a recording interface with TotalMix FX as a solid base.
So, either recording interface alone or a combination with ADI-2 DAC or PRO.

But I wouldn't choose ADI-2 Pro alone.

ramses wrote:

>> If you tell it this way, it sounds as if CC mode would be a unique feature of the ADI-2 Pro

> If you think so…?

Misunderstanding: I meant: do you think someone understands it this way? I know that also the ADI-2 DAC is cc.

All ok, I also don’t see it as 'fight' or 'contest' of course, it only seemed to me my post was misunderstood.

oli77sch wrote:
ramses wrote:

> If you think so…?

Misunderstanding: I meant: do you think someone understands it this way? I know that also the ADI-2 DAC is cc.

All ok, I also don’t see it as 'fight' or 'contest' of course, it only seemed to me my post was misunderstood.

Yeah, fully agree, thanks Olli ;-)

13 (edited by 9Cows 2024-03-02 13:55:34)

Thank you for the great information. From the looks of it - the BabyFace Pro FS + ADI 2 DAC FS will be a great setup - considering I can attach the babyface Pro FS to the DAC FS using an optical cable.

14 (edited by ramses 2024-03-02 14:21:26)

Yes and here how to set it up:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Although this is an ADI-2 Pro the setup of the ADI-2 DAC is more or less the same.

To update this thread - I did go ahead & bought a babyface pro fs & got rid of the scarlett 2i2.

I am currently using this with my amp/cab sims with my macbook & with my iPad pro M2 in class compliant mode. The optical out is connected to my ADI 2 DAC FS. I am loving the way it works with the iPad Pro.

This is a fantastic product, with a bit of learning curve & the manual is not intended for beginners smile

However, I am taking it one day at a time, working with features I need to get going slowly & diving deeper into the manual & functions day by day.

After first day of struggling with the unit, I am now able to run it for my basic needs.

Thank you all who chimed in - you will see more posts from me perhaps, when I stumble upon something in the manual/functionality that I am unable to decipher. But right now, I am enjoying the device to the full.