Topic: RME Fireface UC: How to get an audio signal via spdif

Hi, I want to make use of the spdif out channel on my Fireface UC. I want to send out a constant audio signal to the multiclock, to sync my synths with ableton. This works well when sending the audio through output channel 5 of the interface, but I want to make use of this output for another fx send.

Is it possible to send the audio signal via the spdif out to the multiclock? I routed playback channel 9/10 (the spdif channel) to the output channel 9/10 in totalmix, so this should work. However I can’t find a cable to connect the spdif to the 6.3mm TS input of the multiclock.

Any help is very appreciated.

Re: RME Fireface UC: How to get an audio signal via spdif

If you cannot get the cable elsewhere.... What about trying cable cinch to small jack and adapter from small jack to big one. It might work, or not as cinch to jack is just ordinary wire, not well suited for SPDIF signal transfer.

I think the input jack on the multiclock is an analog input. If that is the case you cannot use the SPDIF digital output directly.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

4 (edited by oli77sch 2024-03-05 23:25:33)

To my understanding that won’t work. SPDIF is a digital signal connection but the Multiclock needs an analog signal. SPDIF coaxial uses the same connectors as analog chinch but what it transmits is completely different.
(EDIT: I didn’t see Jeff's post before)

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

5 (edited by waedi 2024-03-05 23:30:25)

That input of the Multiclock is an analog audio input, right ?
Then the SPDIF output of the interface is useless for your demand.
You would have to insert an extra converter device SPDIF to analog audio.

https://www.thomann.de/de/swissonic_da_ … _conve.htm

Edit : lots of others postings in the same time, sorry

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks for the help, I get an adapter to convert the digital spdif out to the analog in of the multiclock. Thanks waedi for the link! If only there was a smaller one, that doesn’t take extra power… I suppose these converter’s can’t be passive, right?

Stackenblochen wrote:

Thanks for the help, I get an adapter to convert the digital spdif out to the analog in of the multiclock. Thanks waedi for the link! If only there was a smaller one, that doesn’t take extra power… I suppose these converter’s can’t be passive, right?

Yes you are right, this is a DAC and needs it's own power, I know this is a mess with all these poweradapters.

If you find a talented technician who can built an SPDIF input into the Multiclock...?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Stackenblochen wrote:

You could consider other solutions to gain more analog outputs:
- buy a high quality 2-channel converter (like RME ADI-2 series unit), feed it from SPDIF and use it as main out for the monitor speakers instead of two direct analog outputs on the Fireface UC.
- buy an ADAT converter and get eight more outputs over the optical port to feed your effect units.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

I ordered this converter: https://www.thomann.de/de/swissonic_da_ … _conve.htm

Does this add any additional latency?

10 (edited by ramses 2024-03-09 11:48:48)

Stackenblochen wrote:

I ordered this converter: https://www.thomann.de/de/swissonic_da_ … _conve.htm

Does this add any additional latency?

Sure, there is a D/A converter inside.
If it were an RME device, you could find converter latency in the manual.
But tbh. … what latencies are you worried about?
In the worst case at single speed, maybe 1ms, if the converters are more modern, much lesser.
But that you have to ask the vendor of this box.
I doubt that they documented it, but please look at the vendors' documentation.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Sure, around 1ms is no issue. I just had a Scarlett interface that I ditched for the rme, and with that I had lots of issues setting up send/return fx pedals due to latency in Ableton. I finally managed to get it setup with a midiclock and the Fireface UC, so I was worried the additional converter could mess this up.