Topic: Babyface Pro fs, Genelec 8030 and SVS SB2000

Hello,

First post here! Please first excuse my english, I'm french...

Please can help me to add a sub SVS SB2000 to my setup based on Babyface Pro fs and Genelec 8030C.
I have several options but I would like flexibilty for filtering and I prefer not to use the DSP of the sub. I'm thinking of using the loopback option and a VST Host (Cantabile) with Ozone 11 EQ to adjust HP, LP filter and EQ each band.
https://zupimages.net/up/24/10/q13y.png
And I'm thinking using Groups fader in Totalmix to adjust volume.

First question: Is it possible to connect the headphone out 6.35 of the babyface to the RCA input of the SB2000? I can build Jack TRS 6.35 to 2*RCA.
Second question: Is it possible to filter in Cantabile with Ozone EQ on each band?

Or do you recommend me something else? Knowing that I have a UMIK1 to help me...

Thanks, best regards.

Re: Babyface Pro fs, Genelec 8030 and SVS SB2000

Hi
From the Babyface pro FS manual:
The output channels 3/4 feed two Phones outputs via two independent driver circuits, optimized for high (TRS 1/4”, 6.35mm) and low impedance (TRS 1/8”, 3.5mm) headphones. Their unbalanced output signal is – in terms of quality – identical to the ones at the XLR line outputs, but lower in level.
In case the phones output is to be used as line output an adapter TRS plug to RCA phono plugs, or TRS plug to two TS plugs is required.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thanks for your response.
So first problem solved ; the connection is possible with no loss of quality.

And about the crossover settings?

StephT wrote:

And about the crossover settings?

I have no experience with this.
There is one thing I don’t understand. Why do you want to use loopback in TotalMix?

Don’t the Genelec’s have a 2nd socket output? I know my old ones did. I used run balanced into the speakers and then from those to the sub. You seem to be over complicating it and losing your headphone output at the same time. Remember the two headphone outs are the same signal

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

oli77sch wrote:

There is one thing I don’t understand. Why do you want to use loopback in TotalMix?

Good question. Do you have an another solution to use VST in a host?

mkok wrote:

Don’t the Genelec’s have a 2nd socket output? I know my old ones did. I used run balanced into the speakers and then from those to the sub. You seem to be over complicating it and losing your headphone output at the same time. Remember the two headphone outs are the same signal

It's imposible with my Genelec, only input and no output.
Maybe it's complicated but do you have a better solution?

Instead of the Ozone EQ I would use the Fabfilter Pro-Q3
You only have to LPF the signal for the Genelecs, the sub does filtering anyway itself.
I don't know Cantabile, if it is not working properly then use Reaper.
The Loopback function in Totalmix is the right way to implemen t this filter work.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks Waedi!
Why Fabfilter and not Ozone? In fact I already have Ozone.
I also use Reaper, I will test both. But Cantabile works very well and is very stable.

9 (edited by waedi 2024-03-07 20:12:23)

StephT wrote:

Thanks Waedi!
Why Fabfilter and not Ozone? In fact I already have Ozone.
I also use Reaper, I will test both. But Cantabile works very well and is very stable.

I did try Ozone and it was not that good for live application.
Superbe for rendering, but live with lots of dropouts.
You may use the Ozone EQ without the complete Ozone plugin ?
That may work better.
The Pro-Q is an excellent allrounder, it can do everything, also live.

Edit :
I just did a test, the Ozone EQ can be used as a separate plugin without Ozone and it works perfectly fine.
No need to buy extra stuff, you are well equipped.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Anyway I only have Ozone EQ. It was free a few weeks ago.
Cool! I just have to buy Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors.

StephT wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Good question. Do you have an another solution to use VST in a host?

I still don’t get it. What is the sound source?
Maybe you even could use the EQ within Totalmix? Route the signal (software playback or hardware input) to both the hardware stereo outputs (XLR main 1/2 and headphones) and activate the EQ there.

My source are Foobar or Qobuz (both in ASIO).
I thought about using the EQ within Totalmix but I think I won't have enough of the 3 bands. But it's an option if I don't have a lot of corrections to do.

Ah ok, if you want to use an EQ plugin on differerent software playback sources, loopback makes sense of course.