1 (edited by jakkookkaj 2024-03-07 13:27:44)

Topic: DJing with Fireface UCX II and Pioneer hardware

Hey,

I have been DJing with my Fireface UCX II instead of using the Pioneer mixers audio interface, and I am superhappy with the improvements to the audio quality, especially when it comes to the lowest and highest frequencies.
I do have a question though.
I connect the analog outs of my Fireface to the RCA line ins of the Pioneer mixer.
Normally when connecting balanced jack to RCA, volume needs to be lowered to adjust to the unbalanced RCA consumer grade level, but Pioneer doesn't seem to be using normal unbalanced RCA input levels.

I figured the best way to find the optimal level to send out with my Fireface was to compare it to what kind of signal Pioneers DJ decks send out of their RCA outputs, and match that.
Pioneers latest decks (CDJ-3000) list their output level as "2,0 Vrms (1 kHz, 0 dB)".

RME lists the fireface output spec as "Maximum output level: +19 dBu".

What would the optimal settings in totalmix be to match Pioneers output levels?
The +13Dbu seems to come close, but is not yet as loud as Pioneers levels.
Should I use +19Dbu and then adjust the channel slider to remove volume, or should I use +13Dbu and increase the channel level, is there a difference between those two options?

(BTW Pioneer DJ decks really seem to be outputting at some crazy high level, I figured it could be a way for them to force people to only use their player decks in combination with their mixers?)

Thanks, and really impressed with sound quality and stability.

2 (edited by waedi 2024-03-08 04:47:24)

Re: DJing with Fireface UCX II and Pioneer hardware

This is the version I would use :
use +19Dbu and then adjust the channel slider to remove volume

The analog Line-Outs of the interface are good to go, no worry.
DJ-Equipment is mostly made to have everything superloud, DJs tend to drive it anyway into red full blast.
CD-players usually don't have a volumen knob, they play out full volume zero dB.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by jakkookkaj 2024-03-08 17:36:28)

Thanks.
If I try to calculate how much to subtract from the +19, it seems to me that +19 equals the 2.6 vrms that the Fireface has. (19.55 dBm to be exact with 75 ohms)
Using this calculator: https://www.analog.com/en/resources/int … nvert.html
Now for the 2.0 VRMS which is the specification of the Pioneer line ins, the dBm changes to 17.27

Am I understanding correctly, that taking 2.5 dB away in Totalmix would be the ideal way to give the right levels for the Pioneer inputs?

jakkookkaj wrote:

it seems to me that +19 equals the 2.6 vrms

+19 dBu is 6.9 V (RMS).

Hmmm you're right.
But I thought the Fireface's headphone out specs were identical to the analog out in RMS, and in the specsheet it says:

Max power per channel @ 32 Ohm load, 0.1% THD: 210 mW (2.6 Vrms, +10.5 dBu)
Hmmmmm, then I don't know the answer.
Next time I am in a club I will check what comes closest to DJ deck output, and see if that value makes any sense in that calculation.

The phones output voltage is limited by the load = impedance of the used phones With high impedance ones you can go up to +19 dBu. With lower impedance ones it will start to distort earlier. But they are also more efficient = loud, so +19 dBu is typically not necessary then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME