1 (edited by Xotic 2024-03-08 04:50:32)

Topic: 3 dB Difference Between Hardware Output & Input on Fireface UFX III

Hi there,

I'm experiencing a 3 dB. difference between the hardware input and outputs signals within totalmix on my RME UFX III. I've provided a screenshot for reference: https://share.cleanshot.com/QGG9cF9w

As you can see, I have both faders set to zero so I'm quite unsure as to why this could be.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

2 (edited by oli77sch 2024-03-08 12:34:14)

Re: 3 dB Difference Between Hardware Output & Input on Fireface UFX III

Hi
On your screenshot, at the bottom of each input and playback channel I can see PH 9/10 as selected output for the submix. Make a click on hardware output AN 1/2 to show its submix. Maybe your input fader is 3 dB lowered on this particular submix.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Hi
On your screenshot, at the bottom of each input and playback channel I can see PH 9/10 as selected output for the submix. Make a click on hardware output AN 1/2 to show its submix. Maybe your input fader is 3 dB lowered on this particular submix.

Thanks for pointing that out! I just double checked to ensure there is no level difference while focusing AN 1/2 and the levels are still the same: https://share.cleanshot.com/8sh5kbCJ

Would anything else be a potential issue?

4 (edited by oli77sch 2024-03-08 20:30:21)

Hm, yes... it's actually quite logical when you think about it... it has to do with mono vs stereo channels:
one mono input channel, panned to center, which is sent to a stereo output has 3 dB signal decrease on each channel, left and right. Setting the mic inputs 1/2 to stereo, now the 'left' signal, the one coming from input 1, has the exact same value as on the output. Also here only on the left channel of course.
And yes, I remember now: doubling a signal increases the volume for 6 dB. So in TotalMix a mono input signal is lowered for 3 dB per channel, what makes 6dB in total, to get the right audible volume!
You can easily verify it when you use a stereo input: now the values are exactly matching.

oli77sch wrote:

Hm, yes... it's actually quite logical when you think about it... it has to do with mono vs stereo channels:
one mono input channel, panned to center, which is sent to a stereo output has 3 dB signal decrease on each channel, left and right. Setting the mic inputs 1/2 to stereo, now the 'left' signal, the one coming from input 1, has the exact same value as on the output. Also here only on the left channel of course.
And yes, I remember now: doubling a signal increases the volume for 6 dB. So in TotalMix a mono input signal is lowered for 3 dB per channel, what makes 6dB in total, to get the right audible volume!
You can easily verify it when you use a stereo input: now the values are exactly matching.

Legendary information. Thank you for explaining this concept - incredibly useful

Have an awesome weekend!

... and it shows the quality of RME TotalMix...
You're welcome.
Have a nice weekend too!