Topic: 192K RME Fireface 802

Hi.
How to get "60 channels I\O" with RME Fireface 802 in 192 kHz sample rate?

Seems like a misleading in the promotion.

2 (edited by waedi 2024-03-13 08:37:50)

Re: 192K RME Fireface 802

Same for the Fireface UFX ll
Being curious about how to count these channels.
I count 36 I/O channels total at 192kHz simultaneously usable on both models (the SPDIF would be 4 additional channels)

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

For the 802 and UFX II, 60 is the highest possible count of channels (in + out) at single speed sample rates. Higher sample rates decimate the count of ADAT channels of course. It can be misleading, yes. Also it can be misleading to sum inputs and outputs … wow, do I really have 60 recording channels at once? … ah, no!
My suggestion would be to call it
'multichannel interface with up to 30 input and 30 output channels'*
*at 44.1 / 48 kHz

@waedi, I don’t understand what you mean concerning the SPDIF channels?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

For the 802 and UFX II, 60 is the highest possible count of channels (in + out) at single speed sample rates. Higher sample rates decimate the count of ADAT channels of course. It can be misleading, yes. Also it can be misleading to sum inputs and outputs … wow, do I really have 60 recording channels at once? … ah, no!
*at 44.1 / 48 kHz

@waedi, I don’t understand what you mean concerning the SPDIF channels?

I counted 36 without SPDIF as the optical ports are shared with Adat.

One has to take data with understanding and care. The values may be valid only under certain conditions...

For example one may use up to three Digiface USB units, so potentialy 24 ADAT lines in and 24 out. So one might think that he may have 192 channels in and 192 channels out at single speed. Without any limitation.

But it is achievable only if units are connected to at least two USB controllers. One USB controller is not able to handle so much in/out lines....

6 (edited by ramses 2024-03-13 12:57:51)

MFS90 wrote:

Hi.
How to get "60 channels I\O" with RME Fireface 802 in 192 kHz sample rate?

Seems like a misleading in the promotion.

No, the promotion simply counts the ports at single speed.
ADAT uses port multiplexing for double and quad speed (thats normal).
Therefore, you get a lower port count at higher sample rates.
Sorry, but this is (or "should be") common knowledge.

Only AES+SPDIF ports have constant 2ch, regardless of sample rate (44.1-192 kHz).

More in depth: ADAT supports higher sample rates by multiplexing 2 / 4ch to get higher bandwidth for double / quad speed:
ADAT = 8ch @single speed (44.1/48 kHz)
ADAT = 4ch @double speed (88.2/96 kHz) - 2 ch multiplexed to get the higher bandwidth demands for 1ch @double speed
ADAT = 2ch @quad speed (176.4/192 kHz) - 4 ch multiplexed to get the higher bandwidth demand for 1ch @quad speed

So you are getting this number of ports depending on the sample rate:

Inputs                Single | double | quad speed
================================
Analog 1-8              8          8              8
Mic  9-12                 4          4              4
AES 13+14              2          2              2
ADAT 15-30           16          8              4
---------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS Input        30        22            18

Outputs             Single | double | quad speed
================================
Analog 1-8              8          8              8
Phones 9-12           4          4              4
AES 13+14              2          2              2
ADAT 15-30           16          8              4
---------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS Output      30        22            18

TOTALS IN+OUT: 60       44           36

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

How to get at least 16 analog outs on 802 in 192 kHz sample rate?

8 balanced 6.35mm analog
4 analog over hp outputs, using Y-cables stereo to 2x unbalanced mono

Using additional DA devices
2 over ADAT 1 
2 over ADAT 2
2 over AES

= 18 max., see also ramses' calculation above

May I ask why 192kHz?

9 (edited by ramses 2024-03-13 22:07:23)

MFS90 wrote:

How to get at least 16 analog outs on 802 in 192 kHz sample rate?

Assuming you would leave the unbalanced phones outputs for phones: not possible.

You need to add an 8 ports converter.
With quad speed, you would need 8 ports x 4 channels = 32ch / 8 ch = 4 ADAT outputs.
Your 802 has only 2 ADAT ports.

The only solution, use double speed, then 2x ADAT I/O is sufficient.

But I question myself why you require 192 kHz anyway.
For my High End HIFI (Accuphase Class A plus B&W Speaker) even single speed is fully sufficient to get a superb sound.

You're just making things unnecessarily difficult for yourself and requiring 4 ADAT outputs that you don't have.
Do you really want to have to switch to MADI for such a somewhat questionable requirement?

What is your use case / your setup, can you please explain it?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by MFS90 2024-03-13 22:14:23)

oli77sch wrote:

8 balanced 6.35mm analog

2 over ADAT 1 
2 over ADAT 2
2 over AES

May I ask why 192kHz?

I need 2 channels to connect HP for monitoring. So -1 HP out.

About 192K - no matter what i say here, i cannot convince anybody. Just start another holy war.
Not my aim.
192 kHz mixing is necessary for me.
I know everything you want to say. Save your time, please.
Necessary means necessary.

11 (edited by ramses 2024-03-14 08:06:16)

Go MADI..
64ch @single speed
32ch @double speed
16ch @quad speed

PC
|
| USB3
|
UFX III
|       |
|       + M-1610 Pro
|       |
+-<--+

UFX III: 8x Analog OUT
M-1610 Pro: 8x Analog OUT

If you want the same D/A converter

PC
|
| USB3
|
UFX III
|       |
|       + M-1610 Pro
|       |
|       + M-1610 Pro
|       |
+-<--+

If you want the same D/A converter and to save a little bit money

PC
|
| PCIe
|
HDSPe MADI FX - MADI Bus#1 (optical): M-1610 Pro #1
                         - MADI Bus#2 (optical): M-1610 Pro #2
                         - MADI Bus#3 (coax.): reserve (option: optical by an optional daughter card)

oli77sch wrote:

*at 44.1 / 48 kHz

+1

13 (edited by oli77sch 2024-03-14 08:40:38)

MFS90 wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

8 balanced 6.35mm analog

2 over ADAT 1 
2 over ADAT 2
2 over AES

May I ask why 192kHz?

I need 2 channels to connect HP for monitoring. So -1 HP out.

About 192K - no matter what i say here, i cannot convince anybody. Just start another holy war.
Not my aim.
192 kHz mixing is necessary for me.
I know everything you want to say. Save your time, please.
Necessary means necessary.

- 1 HP out would still work. But it’s maybe not the best solution having a mix of different DA converters on ADAT and AES out.
All fine with 192kHz, no worries.
But then I would seriously consider to buy different hardware (as described by ramses above). With too many devices and output 'types' involved you risk differences in reference levels, sound quality and converter latencies.

EDIT: And no, you absolutely don’t know what I think / 'want to say' about 192 kHz. It’s true, for my own needs 48 kHz are fine. But my question was out of curiosity and also to understand better what your needs are, to give a more accurate reply. As now stated by ramses and myself, someone who wants to work with 192kHz for some reasons shouldn’t work with a mix (or 'zoo' as called from ramses) of three, four, five different DA units.

14 (edited by ramses 2024-03-14 08:22:51)

oli77sch wrote:

- 1 HP out would still work. But it’s maybe not the best solution with a mix of different DA converters on ADAT and AES out.
All fine with 192kHz, no worries.
But I would seriously consider to buy different hardware as described by ramses above.

Headphones out, AES, ADAT would result in a "zoo" of devices (converters) and connection methods and when using headphone outputs, then he has even unbalanced connections.

If somebody is so keen on getting "the quality of 192 kHz", then surely doesn't want to lose any quality on the analog side.
Then he should be so consistent using the same type of high-quality D/A converter and not a mix of different one.

Funny in this context, the M-32 Pro is a high-quality AD and DA converter which is being used in professional studios.
If you connect a 32ch converter to a MADI bus, then the MADI bus with its 64 ch is full with such a device at double speed (remember port multiplexing to achieve double speed).
I never heard any complaint that recording in double speed wouldn't be sufficient.

Recording at such high sample rates is normally only used by big companies who want to archive their analogue treasures in the best possible sampling rate, because they have the money and can do it. And maybe also because they want to keep it as an option to sell high-resolution content for such people who believe into high-res content no matter whether they can hear the difference in a blind test or not. So to say this requirement is for them for business / marketing reasons.

ramses wrote:

Headphones out, AES, ADAT would result in a "zoo" of devices (converters) and connection methods and when using headphone outputs, then he has even unbalanced connections.

If somebody is so keen on getting "the quality of 192 kHz", then surely doesn't want to lose any quality on the analog side.
Then he should be so consistent using the same type of high-quality D/A converter and not a mix of different one.

Yes, in both cases it matches exactly my opinion, too.
And it’s exactly why I wrote what you can read in my post (13)

16 (edited by vinark 2024-03-14 10:17:40)

Why not add another FF802. Then you have 16 outs at 192khz in equal quality, same converter latency and nothing extra needed.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

17 (edited by ramses 2024-03-14 11:56:25)

vinark wrote:

Why not add another FF802. Then you have 16 outs at 192khz in equal quality, same converter latency and nothing extra needed.

Yes, possible and then clock sync through either AES or ADAT.

Though I am not a big fan of setups with multiples recording interfaces in parallel as this means, for certain use cases, that he has to route through the DAW. At quad speed he could only route 4 channels across the units across the two ADAT ports.
Would make operation more cumbersome.
He also needs to take care, that in the driver settings both interfaces use the same buffersize (if Windows). How this is being done on Apple, I can't tell. If I remember right he didn't talk about OS.

Therefore, I proposed a more flexible setup with one recording interface, but you are right, it is possible if his computer allows.
I would recommend ensuring not to connect the recording interfaces then to the same USB controller to be on the safe side (and in case packet loss would occur).

18 (edited by vinark 2024-03-14 13:40:45)

Agree 100% Ramses!
And of course clock sync through wordclock is also possible without port loss

Vincent, Amsterdam

ramses wrote:

Go MADI..
64ch @single speed
32ch @double speed
16ch @quad speed

PC
|
| USB3
|
UFX III
|       |
|       + M-1610 Pro
|       |
+-<--+

UFX III: 8x Analog OUT
M-1610 Pro: 8x Analog OUT

If you want the same D/A converter

PC
|
| USB3
|
UFX III
|       |
|       + M-1610 Pro
|       |
|       + M-1610 Pro
|       |
+-<--+

If you want the same D/A converter and to save a little bit money

PC
|
| PCIe
|
HDSPe MADI FX - MADI Bus#1 (optical): M-1610 Pro #1
                         - MADI Bus#2 (optical): M-1610 Pro #2
                         - MADI Bus#3 (coax.): reserve (option: optical by an optional daughter card)

Thank you for your time and visual representation, partner.
But wonder why i ask about 802, not the latest UFX ones etc.

All this is out of my budget range.

vinark wrote:

Yes is the simplest solution and cheapest. But right now i can't afford it.
Plus all "unused" I\O will look at me, and whispers "wwwwaaaaste of moneeeeey".

21 (edited by MFS90 2024-03-14 20:46:55)

I wish RME make something like Cymatic Audio uTrack 24  or Orion 32

AudioINTERFACE (not just converter) with a lot of ANALOG I\O with outstanding RME stabilty & quality.

Cymatic Audio is 96K only. Antelope's are crazy unstable on Windows, and i don't know how they will act on Linux (i want to work on Linux in future, but my FF800 is firewire and gives me a big problems there. That's why i start to think about 802.)

Mac is not the option for me, sorry.

UPD:
The uTrack24 can record 24 channels with a sampling rate of 48 kHz and up to 24 bits. And it can record up to 8 channels with a sampling rate of 96 kHz at 24 bits.

* Channel configuration changes to 8-input, 8-output at 88.2 and 96kHz

well I get that. in general I am a low/no budget guy.  Low budget and 192khz and even 96 khz is something of a contradiction. Even getting 3 or 4 devices to connect to all the digital out will cost you.

Vincent, Amsterdam

23 (edited by ramses 2024-03-14 21:06:01)

@vinark: I fully agree, let me add this, because I was already typing .. but you were faster wink

Then you should think about why the whole thing is so expensive, and perhaps be a little more modest in terms of sample rate. There's no need for 192 kHz, sorry, but I think you're just making it unnecessarily difficult for yourself.

Professional studios are using e.g. excellent 32 channel converter from RME. See the YouTube videos of my blog article here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … Pro-FS-BE/
The two YouTube Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GArwdlVt-jM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZD6O1ne3lc
Those 32ch of a M-32 Pro AD / DA fit perfectly to one MADI bus (64ch @single speed, 32ch at double speed) when recording at double speed.

Sorry, I do not want to sound or be inpolite, but to bring it to the point. You do not have the budget for that equipment, but have such high requirements, that double speed is not enough for you??? Again sorry, but this doesn't fit to each other.

I would think about it carefully, with the help of this forum and not simply avoid an open discussion.

I've already met a few people here in the forum who came to the wrong conclusions because of wrong testing methodology, not excluding psychoacoustic effects. Maybe you got something wrong which leads you now into the wrong direction.

As I mentioned in some threads .. I have a high-end HiFi (Accuphase Class A amp and B&W speaker).
Single speed recordings sound really great, not only CDs, especially film music has an excellent quality (room, depth).

And double speed gives you an already a much wider frequency range which is fully outside our ears capabilities.
And with double speed, you also have no issues with frequency rolloff of some D/A filter (like slow filter).
[Just in case you would use a reference converter like e.g. ADI-2 Pro, where you can choose from different filters].

To sum up, I would re-thing your setup, with double speed you get an excellent quality and then everything wouldn't be so expensive for you. Just connect an converter to your two ADAT ports and you have 8 more channels for AD/DA.

24 (edited by MFS90 2024-03-16 00:22:06)

ramses wrote:

@vinark:and perhaps be a little more modest in terms of sample rate. .

So you insist on another Holy war start?
You open Pandora's box.

Every music genre is like a mailbox (paper one) that you pack your sounds before shipping.
Some genres are more forgiving and have much less limits.
My genre is heavy limited by Dynamic Range and FR.
Plus crazy important how fast transients snaps. Initial attack.

If i make othe genre music or do my genre just like the others i will stick to 44.1 or 48K.
Really.
But i don't do things like blind massed do.
Not EGO trippin'.

This is just my samurai path. My choice.

For me - mixing in anything less than 192 kHz is complete BS.
Comp-lete.

I'm done tones of fair blind ABX type tests with small focus-group.
Everybody prefers:
- 48 over 44.1
- 96 over 48
- 192 over 96

Then make another test session
- 44.1 with oversampling (IIR and FIR) VS all samplerates available without any oversampling tricks.
- Than all other (48/88.2/96/176/192) with and without OS.

Guess who wins?

MFS90 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Have a look here https://youtu.be/cIQ9IXSUzuM and here https://troll-audio.com/articles/time-r … tal-audio/

26 (edited by MFS90 2024-03-16 00:18:05)

artburda wrote:
MFS90 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Have a look here https://youtu.be/cIQ9IXSUzuM and here https://troll-audio.com/articles/time-r … tal-audio/

I watch and know all this. Many years back. I'm advanced, partner.
I read and watch all what i can while learning and working on production and mixing all this 20 years.

This is a theory that i mention. Theory works only in theory when it comes to human perception of things like audio.

Nice.
Forum post only half of my big post here.

@MFS990
In that case, you probably need to invest more. No smoke without fire.

29 (edited by MFS90 2024-03-16 00:24:02)

MFS90 wrote:
ramses wrote:

You open Pandora's box.

Every music genre is like a mailbox (paper one) that you pack your sounds before shipping.
Some genres are more forgiving and have much less limits.
My genre is heavy limited by Dynamic Range and FR.

If i make other genre music or do my genre just like the others i will stick to 44.1 or 48K.
Really.
But i don't do things like blind massed do.
Not EGO trippin'.

This is just my samurai path. My choice.

For me - mixing in anything less than 192 kHz is complete BS.
Comp-lete.

I'm done tones of fair blind ABX type tests with small focus-group.
Everybody prefers:
- 48 over 44.1
- 96 over 48
- 192 over 96

Then make another test session
- 44.1 with oversampling (IIR and FIR) VS all samplerates available without any oversampling tricks.
- Than all other (48/88.2/96/176/192) with and without OS.

Guess who wins?

ramses wrote:

Guess who wins?

We find out that all oversampled versions of mix sounds much muffled. Much less impact and transients feeling smudged.
Compare with original high sample rate file (without OS) , it was more natural, percussion are spikey, punchy and fast (in time/phase meaning)
I write this bazzzilion times:

This is because how Oversampling works under the hood.
New "fake" sampling point building algorithm and filtering at the end.
If filtering is lin-phase you will have pre-echo that even worse. Specially on mixbus.

Everyone who participated in the blind test clearly chose the 192 kHz file without any oversampling. I repeat, that's it. Blindly! Repeatedly.
This is a scientific experiment that produces a scientific result.

The criterion for a scientific experiment is:
All possible errors were taken into account and prevented in the experiment.
The result is reliable if it repeats predictably. That is, this is not a coincidence.

Conclusion, despite theoretical postulates, practice and human preferences have shown that a song mixed and recorded at the highest possible sampling frequency is perceived by the listener as higher quality and more pleasant-sounding.

In simple words - 192 kHz mixing is mandatory if you want to preserve details what was in the sound before digital signal processing.

If i mix and produce fully DAWless and analog - i think negative influence of lower sample rates will be less crucial.
I barely hear difference i record drums or any instruments 44.1 vs 192.

But when plugins, gain and pan steps to the stage in the digital realm, my output became much worse (around 20% to my ears on my monitoring system) than my input was.

I hope i clear all what you want to know.
"What is your genre?" etc - it dosen't matter now in this discussion.
Matter is only two things:
- Me, find out something so special and magnificent that force me to search for solution "how to.."
- You, start to doubt in whats you know before, and make your own fair ABX type blind tests.
But most people never will do this. They are afraid to destroy everything they believe the whole life. Like a audiophiles who afraid to do blind test of 10K$ cables with cheap ones etc.

Peace out.

Most people even do not distinguish mono and stereo. Or reverted phase of one channell. Most people have damaged hearing and/or are accustomed to lowrate mp3 played on inferior earplugs....

Only few can hear differences and do care....

But anyway, you need 192k so you must to pay for that. There is not shortcut.

@MFS90
To understand better your workflow: for what exactly do you need the at least 16 outputs? Analog summing? Analog outboard processing?

32 (edited by vinark 2024-03-16 14:40:20)

I believe you 100%. I don't have the funds to go 96k or 192k. Nor for adda nor for cpu power.
Then try to scrape the money for another 802. Or use the 2 headphones outs, 2 digital outs and connect something to the adat out for headphones. Unless you already have some 192k capable DA you can connect, I would choose the second 802. You can then use the extra headphones and digital out to go higher then 16 channels later if needed.

Vincent, Amsterdam

You may do it using 802.

8 analog out
2 one of headphone outs, the other will be used by headphones

Using additional DA device
2 over ADAT 1
2 over ADAT 2
2 over AES

Gives you 16 analog out. But using two 802 seems to be more sound, you would have the same DA on all outputs. If 192k matters, the same DA on alnalog outs should as well.

34 (edited by ramses 2024-03-16 22:00:18)

MFS90 wrote:
ramses wrote:

One can certainly hold differing opinions, but that doesn't necessarily mean we must argue about it.

I find it inappropriate and a little sad, when you begin using terms like "Holy War" or "Opening Pandora's Box" so early in the conversation. There's no need for that; nobody here has done anything to deserve it.

Moreover, nobody here is responsible for your negative experiences in other forums. However, this forum can only find practical solutions when we're open to dialogue, and part of that is at least listening to the experiences of others.

The initial questions are answered since post nr. 8 some days ago:
- Using the FF802 at 192 kHz, there aren’t 60 channels (30 in / 30 out) but 'only' 36 (18 / 18).
- 16 outputs are possible but only when additional DA converters are added over ADAT and AES

Maybe it’s better to close the topic now?

36 (edited by waedi 2024-03-17 01:07:50)

Kubrak wrote:

Most people even do not distinguish mono and stereo. Or reverted phase of one channell. Most people have damaged hearing and/or are accustomed to lowrate mp3 played on inferior earplugs....

Only few can hear differences and do care....

But anyway, you need 192k so you must to pay for that. There is not shortcut.

There is a practicable workaround :
Record everything in 44.1 kHz and render the necessary files to 192kHz in the computer to overcome following oversampling issues.
These issues with oversampling is all part of the computer-workflow, not of the interface.