Topic: Vinyl Recording ADI-2/4 PRO SE

I recorded my first LP (Judas Priest - Invincible Shield) with RIAA setting at +20db. I've read the manual but don't quite understand the RIAA Mono Bass feature, is that something that needs to be on when recording Vinyl?

Re: Vinyl Recording ADI-2/4 PRO SE

I did mastering for vinyl in the late 70s to early 80s and MONO BASS was almost always done during mastering.  It is primarily used if there's too much low frequency information on either side, left or right, as that would create too much lateral movement of the cutter head and could easily throw the playback stylus out of the groove!!  Making everything MONO below 100Hz or so would solve that problem.

All that to say it's nice that RME gave you the option, but for most releases done after the late 70s, it's not necessary.

It's easy enough to switch it on and off with the Remote app while listening, so whichever sounds best, go with that for the recording. It'll change depending on the source vinyl. For regular casual vinyl listening I usually leave it on, but it's just a preference, no right or wrong.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

4 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-15 15:40:29)

metal4ever wrote:

I recorded my first LP (Judas Priest - Invincible Shield) with RIAA setting at +20db. I've read the manual but don't quite understand the RIAA Mono Bass feature, is that something that needs to be on when recording Vinyl?

Definitely not in general.

I suggest to carefully listen to the effect before permanently printing it into a recording.

The result varies from album to album or even track to track, but as a side-effect always takes aways from the soundstage by some amount.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I also noticed reading the manual the "Rumble" feature  in the remote PEQ settings, I recorded a Vinyl with Rumble enabled. The analyzer was showing the bar to the left on that particular Vinyl pushing past -30 on more quiet parts. At what point should you enable the "Rumble" filter? I also recorded a vinyl that was below -30 without the Rumble enabled.

metal4ever wrote:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I also noticed reading the manual the "Rumble" feature  in the remote PEQ settings, I recorded a Vinyl with Rumble enabled. The analyzer was showing the bar to the left on that particular Vinyl pushing past -30 on more quiet parts. At what point should you enable the "Rumble" filter? I also recorded a vinyl that was below -30 without the Rumble enabled.

I just have a 30Hz high pass filter enabled on the analogue input from my phono cartridge preamp, but I'm using an ADI-2 Pro.  That certainly removes rumble and there's not a lot of information in the groove down there anyway.

metal4ever wrote:

At what point should you enable the "Rumble" filter? I also recorded a vinyl that was below -30 without the Rumble enabled.

Some amount of subsonics is absolutely normal with vinyl and won’t hurt.

Speakers and ‘phones can handle this these days, most speakers have their own filters built in anyway.

Every filter has it’s own detrimental effects, not very obvious sometimes, but the sum of to much processing can take away the vinyl magic, which greatly origins from the systems imperfections.

Right on! Thanks

KaiS wrote:
metal4ever wrote:

At what point should you enable the "Rumble" filter? I also recorded a vinyl that was below -30 without the Rumble enabled.

Speakers and ‘phones can handle this these days, most speakers have their own filters built in anyway.

Every filter has it’s own detrimental effects, not very obvious sometimes, but the sum of to much processing can take away the vinyl magic, which greatly origins from the systems imperfections.

Another question, Do you have to worry about headroom with the 2/4? I had the ADI-2 Pro FS R before I purchased the 2/4 PRO and I always recorded around -8db to -12db

KaiS wrote:
metal4ever wrote:

10 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-15 20:26:54)

metal4ever wrote:

Another question, Do you have to worry about headroom with the 2/4? I had the ADI-2 Pro FS R before I purchased the 2/4 PRO and I always recorded around -8db to -12db

Same as always with digital: Everything below 0 dBFS is OK.

Some headroom, specifically in case of AD-conversation, is necessary only to avoid digital overs from unpredictable signal peaks.

Best approach is:
• Enough headroom to reliably avoid overs. A bit more headroom doesn‘t hurt in this case.
• Edit out extreme peaks from the needle drop at the beginning of the recording.
• Then digital normalization to -0.2 dBFS in the recording soft.
• Normalization should be done for a complete album, not individual track based, to avoid confusing the level balance between tracks of an album.

IMHO the rumble filter is very useful in two cases (dismissing the case where a turntable is already really bad in rumble itself):

- low level LPs. The rumble and groove noise becomes more apparent. Here Mono Bass is usually also most efficient.

- 'not enough bass' LPs. Trying to bring your favourite LP to a modern sound balance quite often means you have to raise low bass A LOT. That also raises the rumble noise significantly. The rumble filter removes stuff where there isn't anything, and keeps the equalized result free of sub-junk.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME