Topic: BabyFace Pro FS power supply query

I am not sure where to post about this - as I do not seem to have permission to create posts in most forums.

After buying the BabyFace Pro FS I realised it doesn't come with a power supply.

Trying to find the original power supply in India turned futile. However I found this in the manual -

"The Babyface Pro does not receive any or not enough power. Remove current-consuming
hard drives from nearby ports. Avoid USB extension cables and USB hubs. Use an external
power supply, any standard one delivering 9 - 14 V DC with at least 1 A will work. The connector needs to have – outside, + inside. "
Also -
Power supply: USB bus power or external power supply
 Idle power consumption: 2.8 Watts
 Typical power consumption: 3.7 Watts
 Max. power consumption: 5.4 Watts
 Current at 5 V bus power operation: 700 mA (3.7 Watts)
 Current at 12 V external power: 313 mA (3.7 Watts)
 Dimensions (WxHxD): 108 x 35 x 181 mm (4.25" x 1.4" x 7.1")
 Weight: 680 g ( 1.5 lbs)
 Temperature range: +5° up to +50° Celsius (41° F up to 122°F)
 Relative humidity: < 75%, non condensing

I have a CIOKS DC 7 pedal board power supply that comes with the following cables -
Standard Flex type 1 – black with 5,5/2,1mm centre negative DC plug x7
Standard Flex type 2 – red with 5,5/2,1mm centre positive DC plug x1
Standard Flex type 4 – green with 5,5/2,5mm centre positive DC plug x1
**Cioks DC7 can provide voltage at 9/12/18 V at the following levels -
"Outlet 1-7: 9V DC / 660mA or 12V DC / 500mA or 15V DC / 400mA or 18V DC / 330mA each"

Can you please guide me - which of these cables can be used to power the BabyFace pro? I want to avoid using the laptop.

Thanks!

2 (edited by waedi 2024-03-22 16:10:45)

Re: BabyFace Pro FS power supply query

The Babyface is bus-powered, it doesn't need a power supply.
Some USB deliver not enough power, to be on the save side it is a good thing to have a power supply.
this one : https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_ntcardbus_x.htm

It has the special plug with winglets for the special socket of the Babyface locking connection.

Your generic power supply seems to be sufficient I would try 12V DC, the plugs will not locking take the one plug that fits well.

And please delete the other two postings.
One time is enough.
No wonder you are banned from other forums by this spam-flood behavior.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

For sure it is not Standard Flex type 1 (it has centre negative)

It might be Type 2 or 4 (it has centre positive), but I do not know, if it fits the outlet. You have to try.

That has the correct size and polarity DC plug.

I deleted the extra posts from OP of the same content.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

waedi wrote:

And please delete the other two postings.
One time is enough.
No wonder you are banned from other forums by this spam-flood behavior.

Thank you for your help!

When I was making this post, the button was unresponsive, hence I clicked it a couple times too many. However, I wasn't aware that multiple posts have been made - it was a mistake & was unintentional. I promise I am not a spammer. smile

My reason for looking for a power supply is that this device will serve as my portable device & independent of a laptop.

Thanks Jeff - for clarifying & for fixing my mistake!

A quick clarification needed -

The manual says -
Use an external
power supply, any standard one delivering 9 - 14 V DC with at least 1 A will work
&
Current at 12 V external power: 313 mA (3.7 Watts)

Which one should I follow?

7 (edited by Kubrak 2024-03-22 18:12:26)

For 12V the maximal draw should be 450 mA (12V*0.450A=5.4W), to cover maximal consumption. So, your power supply should be OK. It might be better if power supply would be able to provide a bit more current. Just try and you will see. The maximal draw will be if two phones used at maximum volume and amplifiers used at maz and so on. It is not typical use case.

IMHO, 1 A is general value to be on safer side. Because the current needed depends on voltage of power supply, so the value needed is different for each voltage level.

Not 100% sure, but wasn't proper polarity in the plug also critical not to damage something?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Kubrak wrote:

For 12V the maximal draw should be 450 mA (12V*0.450A=5.4W), to cover maximal consumption. So, your power supply should be OK.
IMHO, 1 A is general value to be on safer side. Because the current needed depends on voltage of power supply, so the value needed is different for each voltage level.

Thankyou! The Cioks DC7 is able to deliver 500MA as 12V - so based on your input that should suffice. I am very bad at the electrical stuff, hence unable to understand the manuals.

Thank you again!

Just to conclude this thread - the BabyFace Pro FS works on Cioks DC 7 Power Supply. In case anyone ever wants to do something similar. For whatever reason.

The cable used as confirmed by Jeff is the -

Been using it for a week or so now - haven't come across any issue yet. YET.

It is part of a simple pedal setup -
Wireless Tuner -> Preamp/MultiEffect -> Rme BabyFace Pro FS -> Rme ADI 2 DAC FS via Optical out.
**babyface being connected to/controlled by an iPAD.

This is a fully portable pedal system now.

Thank you all who helped!

Hi,

A question regarding the powering Babyface Pro FS. The original power supply comes with a 1A current @12V.

Now if I want to power the RME with the Cioks DC7 - I can run it successfully without any issues. Now the Cioks supplies 500Ma @12V from one socket, though they have a current doubler cable that allows me to use TWO-12V sockets to make it 1A in total.

Now my electrical knowledge is very bad. So wanted to double check with you guys that on DC power a device only takes what it requires right? there is no way to overload a device with power? Provided I use the correct cables - giving the RME 1A current even if it requires lesser should be fine right as the official adapter is 1A.

12 (edited by waedi 2024-04-28 12:03:39)

The Ampere is a maxium value possible.
It does not deliver ampere, it applies a voltage and the client is drinking as much ampere as it needs, up to 1 A or 500mA whatever the power supply allows.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

It is ussually so that the more current device draws, the more voltage drops. I things work fine with 500 mA, I would stick with that.

More current may be needed if two headphones are plugged in and playing to full power. But still even for that your supply may be OK if it meets the parameters listed. Just things would be run on the edge. The worst thing that might happen is headphones would not be as loud as with a bit stronger supply.

I guess, we speak about very marginal use cases.

14 (edited by 9Cows 2024-04-28 14:03:46)

Thanks Waedi & Kubrak,

Yes I can run it successfully without any issues through the Cioks DC7 with 500ma @12V. I was just wondering if the extra power is needed for anything other than the HP/maxing out.

At present I am using this device for perhaps 25% of what it is capable, simply an instrument input, adding a little gain & Digital stereo output. No HPs at all, I run it through my active monitors. The HP if required go directly into the guitar preamp. As then the interface is just an additional step.

So good to know, I will stick to the 500ma for now.