Topic: [Solved] RME Digiface USB + M1 Mac pops and clicks.

Hello all!

Sorry if this has been answered or discussed before, I had a quick look and didnt find any solutions.

I have a freshly set up M1 Pro MacBook Pro, 32gb ram running latest version of Logic Pro X. I've installed the latest driver kit versions of the Digiface USB drivers and am running a few legacy interfaces as standalone ADATs (Apogee Ensemble, Focusrite Scarlett, some ADA8000s etc.

I'm getting almost constant pops and clicks at random, some from inputs, some on just my main outputs (I am using an analog console and can see on my meter bridge where they are originating and its truly random across the board.)

However an even more alarming and strange thing occurs occasionally, when playing back a project thats fairly small (about 8 channels of guitar amp emulations in this case, and a drum machine, for demoing) the entire output's bit rate slowly drops, to the point where it becomes less than 8 bit and then just clicking.

If I play this project back on the built in outputs, its fine, and on a usb C native sound card like an Apogee BOOM I have at home, totally fine.

It seems it's specific to USB 2.0 interfacing? I have replaced the USB cable from the RME with a USB 2.0 B type to USB C, and there is nothing else plugged in when this happens.

My only last thought is, should I try running a Kext driver instead of the driver kit? has anyone switched from driver kit to kernel and do I need to do anything in particular to remove the old driver?

Sorry for the long post, I'm running a private but commercial studio that is my livelihood so when things like this happen, I lose income! So I am in a bit of a panic.

Thanks!

Re: [Solved] RME Digiface USB + M1 Mac pops and clicks.

You didn't mention your macOS version. You can easily install the KE driver by following its readme.

Also read this:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 95#p212895

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by oli77sch 2024-03-23 11:36:27)

Can you tell us how the Digiface and the ADAT devices are clocked? Which one is master?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

MC wrote:

You didn't mention your macOS version. You can easily install the KE driver by following its readme.

Also read this:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 95#p212895

Oops! I'm on Ventura 13.6!

I will take a read of above, thank you!

oli77sch wrote:

Can you tell us how the Digiface and the ADAT devices are clocked? Which one is master?

The RME is the master and everything is set to clock from it.

Test out each ADAT individually to see if one is problematic.

Also, how is you analog console wired such that you can tell input from output clicks?

mrkahuna wrote:

Test out each ADAT individually to see if one is problematic.

Also, how is you analog console wired such that you can tell input from output clicks?

I'm running an analog desk on the way in, and a ProControl, so I have a meter bridge for both ins and outs.

Have done this! No joy, However I think I have solved it!

It would seem that the Apogee ensemble does not like clocking to RME. If I set the Apogee as the main clock, everything else on the system is happy and I have no dropouts!

Thanks for the assistance everyone!