Topic: Gain

I am using the UCX II as a crossover - My input is a digital source from a Convolver that does have a volume control. My output is to consumer Amps and I am trying ti use the UCX as a crossover and preamp. I watched the analog v digital video and I understand that the digital input should be 0.

With the output unlike the video the UCX only has +4, +13, +19 -- I asked here earlier and found out that I could set the volume slider to -12 and I would be at -10. I am thinking that -10 would be what a cd player or DAC would output. I can get decent volume from my speakers but maxed out it is still not very loud.

I can raise the output slider to about -8 and I get a little more volume but I start getting a hiss/hum so I assume that I am over riding the input on my amplifier.

Are gain and output volume the same thing?

IS UCX not suitable to use as a preamp?

Do I need to add an analog Preamp?   (it would have to be 6 channels if I put it after the UCX )

Is there another adjustment I can make to increase my output volume without over riding outputs?

As an aside I can take an Analog signal from my preamp and after adjusting the input and output gain get a great signal level and plenty of volume that can be adjusted from preamp volume control.   I could simply use analog but this seems redundant