Topic: Rme adi 2/4 routing help!

Hello

I just got the 2/4 se yesterday and I am a bit confused about the signal routing.

I am feeding ADAT signal to the ADI via my fireface ucxii interface from totalmix fx and I am using the analog out 1/2 of the ADI as my dac outputs feeding straight into my studio monitors.

This part is going fine for me as previously I had an ADI 2 dac fs and they work in a similar manner.

But this time I also want to use the analog out 3/4 as another set of outputs feeding from my DAW via any of the remaining set of ADAT channels into my analog gears for mastering purposes and this should be completely independent from analog out 1/2.

But I am unable to do this routing. Analog out 3/4 passes signal at present but its the same as analog 1/2. I cant make it an independent set of outputs.
I went through the manual several times. Couldn't figure out anything.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-31 11:44:03)

Re: Rme adi 2/4 routing help!

Every ADI-2 model only plays channel 1/2 from the 8-channel ADAT interface, independent of ADI-2’s configuration.

See manual page 39:
“… In case of ADAT only channels 1/2 are monitored,…”

The solution:
• Connect AES from UCX II to ADI-2/4 Pro SE for a secondary signal path.

• AD/DA Converter Mode (manual page 41) and Digital Through Mode (manual page 45) allows for independent selection of sources for 1/2 and 3/4.

• Set:
I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Setting: Rear TRS source Ph. 3/4
to assign the Rear TRS to ADI-2’s signal path 3/4.

KaiS wrote:

Every ADI-2 model only plays channel 1/2 from the 8-channel ADAT interface, independent of ADI-2’s configuration.

See manual page 39:
“… In case of ADAT only channels 1/2 are monitored,…”

The solution:
• Connect AES from UCX II to ADI-2/4 Pro SE for a secondary signal path.

• AD/DA Converter Mode (manual page 41) and Digital Through Mode (manual page 45) allows for independent selection of sources for 1/2 and 3/4.

• Set:
I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Setting: Rear TRS source Ph. 3/4
to assign the Rear TRS to ADI-2’s signal path 3/4.

Thanks a lot for your help. It worked for me! I couldn't figured this out from the manual before

Does this also work with S/PDIF instead of AES?

I wish to add an ADI-2/4 Pro SE to my Antelope Orion Studio, but the Orion only has ADAT and S/PDIF.

I'd like to feed my monitors from TRS 3/4 on the RME, while 1/2 DA and 1/2 AD should pitch and catch my analog mastering chain.

I would prefer this specific routing since my chain can handle +32,5 dBu and DA 1/2 can pump out +26.5 dBu, while TRS 3/4 only manages +21.5 dBu.

Monitoring should be after analog chain and VST limiter, i.e. my DAW output. I also want to hear this output on the front panel through my headphones.

rbkonline wrote:
KaiS wrote:

The solution:
• Connect AES from UCX II to ADI-2/4 Pro SE for a secondary signal path

Thanks a lot for your help. It worked for me! I couldn't figured this out from the manual before

Which cable do you need for this connection? Thx

6 (edited by ramses 2024-04-28 09:43:51)

TheMonk wrote:
rbkonline wrote:
KaiS wrote:

The solution:
• Connect AES from UCX II to ADI-2/4 Pro SE for a secondary signal path

A digital cable with 110 Ohm according to AES specs. Max cable length up to 100 m.

https://www.thomann.de/de/cae_29013_aesebu_kabel.htm

On both sides (UCX II, ADI-2/4 Pro SE) you need the AES/SPDIF digital breakout cable BO968 which is part of package content.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
TheMonk wrote:
rbkonline wrote:

A digital cable with 110 Ohm according to AES specs. Max cable length up to 100 m.

On both sides (UCX II, ADI-2/4 Pro SE) you need the AES/SPDIF digital breakout cable BO968 which is part of package content.

Ah, I’ll need BO cables on both sides! Thanks!

TheMonk wrote:
ramses wrote:
TheMonk wrote:

Ah, I’ll need BO cables on both sides! Thanks!

If the length is sufficient, you can also connect both devices by using only the breakout cables.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

If the length is sufficient, you can also connect both devices by using only the breakout cables.

Got it, thanks!