Topic: Advice on channel expansion for my RME 1610pro

Hello,

I am contemplating expanding my input and output channel count and wanted to know what others are using to expand theirs.

My current setup is as follows:

RME Madi FX connected to 1610 PRO via Madi optical connection on the first channel/connector for all my analog outboard gear.
Second connector to a ADI-648 for my ADAT channel for my modular ins and outs using expert sleepers es3,es6 an es7 modules to get audio in and out of modular plus any cv routings from Bitwig.

My question is: Would buying another 1610 pro make sense for expanding the analog channels over MADI, as these devices would have the most compatibility and assuming the lowest round trip latency for the converters?

Or would something like a ADI-8QS make more sense? What about converter quality between the two units or even the newer M32 pro II units? Is there a significant bump in the perceived conversion quality?

My other alternative would be a cheaper more channel per $ device like the ferrofish A32 or the SPL madison, but i'm not sure mixing and matching MADI converters would be as compatible or reliable as sticking completely with RME.

Thanks in advance

Re: Advice on channel expansion for my RME 1610pro

The M-1610 Pro is clearly the newer device. You can compare the technical data yourself using the manual.

One of the advantages of the M-1610 Pro and M-32 Pro is that the reference level can be set per port. This is not possible with the ADI-8QS. Here you can only readjust with digital trim gain.

And other model-specific features and remote administration via web browser.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Advice on channel expansion for my RME 1610pro

OK then that settles it. Thanks for your direct and straight to the point answer!

Appreciate it.