Topic: Babyface Pro FS with 3-4 analoge synths

Hi,

I've been using my Babyface Pro for a few years with a Moog DFAM & Mother32 with TS cables into IN 3/4 and want to buy a Subharmonicon to complete the Moog trio. Can I use a TS to XLR cable to connect from the unbalanced TS OUT on the Subharmonicon into the XLR IN 1 on the Babyface?

This is probably a very basic question but I can't find the answer anywhere.

2 (edited by waedi 2024-04-02 20:54:51)

Re: Babyface Pro FS with 3-4 analoge synths

This is so basic no one ever think to write about it.
Yes, of course you can simply use a cable TS to XLR, no problem.

https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_ctm_5_mpbl.htm

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Don’t forget about the detailed RME manuals!

"The Babyface Pro has two analog microphone inputs that can operate as line inputs with levels up to +19 dBu, when set to 0 dB gain and PAD active. The electronic input stage uses a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced and balanced signals correctly, automatically adjusting the level reference.
When using unbalanced cables with the XLR inputs pin 3 of the XLR jack should be connected to ground. Otherwise noise may occur, caused by the unconnected negative input of the balanced input."

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

waedi wrote:

This is so basic no one ever think to write about it.
Yes, of course you can simply use a cable TS to XLR, no problem.

https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_ctm_5_mpbl.htm

I need a dummy's guide to audio hardware coming from VSTs for so long.

oli77sch wrote:

Don’t forget about the detailed RME manuals!

"The Babyface Pro has two analog microphone inputs that can operate as line inputs with levels up to +19 dBu, when set to 0 dB gain and PAD active. The electronic input stage uses a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced and balanced signals correctly, automatically adjusting the level reference.
When using unbalanced cables with the XLR inputs pin 3 of the XLR jack should be connected to ground. Otherwise noise may occur, caused by the unconnected negative input of the balanced input."

Wow I totally missed that, RTFM I guess. I'll make extra sure to set it to PAD but is there any risk of damaging my synths if I to enable phantom power by accident?

Thank you both!

You can also use an active DI which will need phantom power. It is not needed, but may be extra safe in regards to the phantom power and gives the option to ground lift.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

You can also use an active DI which will need phantom power. It is not needed, but may be extra safe in regards to the phantom power and gives the option to ground lift.

Good hint!

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2