Topic: USB input for UFX+

What is a good USB to SPDIF converter for input to the UFX+?

My use case is a home audio system with network audio and digital room correction.

Network streamer > USB > ADI-2 pro fs be > SPDIF > UFX+ > Windows pc convolver > UFX+ DA and analog output (4 channels)

I use Digital Room Correction software that needs the measurement mic to be on the same AD hardware as the DAC, so  the UFX+ works well to provide AD and DA roles.

The ADI-2 works well as a USB converter, but most of its functions are overlooked. I would like to replace the ADI-2 in its role as USB to SPDIF converter. I will then use it for a headphone amp and for other DAC duties.

What would you recommend?

UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

2 (edited by ramses 2024-04-05 09:49:40)

Re: USB input for UFX+

What network streamer do you have?
Does it have other digital outputs which you could use to connect it directly to the UFX+?

Just brainstorming, would any of these two setups support your use case?

Option1: Network streamer connected via SPDIF to UFX+

PC--------------USB2--------------------------+
|                                                              | USB2 for remote control + fw update
|USB3                                                      | ADI-2 Pro in AD/DA mode
|                                                              |
UFX+--ADAT1 OUT----------->ADAT IN---ADI-2 Pro--3/4--Active Monitors
   \                                                                       \--1/2--Headphones
    \
     \---ADAT2 IN<-------------Opt SPDIF---Network Streamer ???

Option2: several devices connected to ADI-2 Pro via TOSLINK switcher

TOSLINK Switcher in Front of ADI-2 Pro where you can select up to 4 ADAT/opt. SPDIF sources:

PC--------------USB2-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                                                                                                                         | USB2 for remote control + fw update
|USB3                                                                                                                 | ADI-2 Pro in AD/DA mode
|                                                                                                                         |
UFX+--ADAT1 OUT------------>IN1---Optosel 4:1---ADAT OUT----->ADAT IN---ADI-2 Pro--3/4--Active Monitors
           Network Streamer-->IN2---/                                                                            \--1/2--Headphones
           TV?--------------------->IN3---/
           BluRay Player?------>IN4--/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ramses
Your reply helped me to more clearly understand my wiring and options.
The key issue is getting a USB source to feed the UFX+. My current setup uses the ADI-2 pro fs be in USB mode to do this. It works.

CURRENT SETUP

Desktop                                               Hifi Corner

PC (Daphile as network streamer)
   |   
USB3
   |
ADI-2 --------- Opt SPDIF out -------- UFX+ opt2 in
    |     --------- Opt SPDIF in --------- UFX+ opt2 out (SPDIF)
    |                                                                  |  |
Headphones                                             USB3 (out/in)
                                                                       |  |
                                                                Windows PC       
                                                                (Audio convolver)

The Daphile digital audio USB output is converted to SPDIF by the ADI-2 and sent by optical SPDIF to the UFX+. The UFX+ returns digital audio by optical SPDIF to the ADI-2 for headphone listening post-processing. Or, the original digital USB source can be listened to on headphones. Routing is in TotalMix FX.

Clock Source is set to UFX+ so that the measurement mic ADC and DAC clock are the same. This is necessary for digital signal processing in the Windows PC by Acourate (Audiovero.de).

For ADI-2 FW updates, I disconnect the USB from the Daphile PC and connect to the Windows PC.

I tried 2 alternative setups that I own already to feed USB to the UFX+. They did not work.

Conclusion: I will keep my current setup.

That said, I am interested in changes you might suggest, if any.

Thanks again
Labdoc

UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64