Topic: Madiface XT - glitches when running through Caldigit TS3 Plus

Hi All / RME!

Big fan of my Madiface XT and other RME interfaces here... always been rock solid for me.

I've encountered one particularly issue which is starting to cause me issues with a new configuration in the studio. When I connect my Madiface XT to my Caldigit TS3 Plus dock, I end up with glitches and stuttering. I've tried different USB2.0 and USB3.0 cables, and different ports on the TS3 Plus. No joy unfortunately.

A direct connection into the Mac works absolutely fine.

I'm trying to free up ports on the Mac itself to drive multiple displays from the USB-C ports directly, so ideally I'd like to the interface to work running off the CalDigit.

Does anybody know why this might be happening or know of a solution here?

i9 2019 15" MacBook Pro. Haven't tried on an M3 yet to be fair, but I need the i9 machine to work as well...

2 (edited by bsfreq 2024-04-06 13:56:27)

Re: Madiface XT - glitches when running through Caldigit TS3 Plus

-Update your TS3+ firmware to latest if not already done (the one supporting 87W charging)
https://www.caldigit.com/updating-the-t … cos-10-15/

-Use a dedicated USB controller for your Madiface if possible / Plug other USB devices to ports using other controllers on TS3+.
Controller / port layout is showed here:
https://www.caldigit.com/ts3-plus-inter … d-diagram/

-Make sure to use a high quality Thunderbolt cable in between your dock and Mac, instead of accidentally using a USB-C cable.

These may already be obvious to you, but I thought to mention anyway. Other than that, I have no ideas. My UFX+ has been working fine with my Intel Mac (same as yours actually) through the TS3+ with both USB and TB-connection, but I've heard about some having problems with M1 and newer ones. Good luck.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

From my experience with different RME devices in different configurations and multi user environments, I find the USB 3.0 driver the most tricky one on macOS, which is required for higher order channel counts on UFX+, Madiface XT and others.

I would try a short USB 3.0 cables on all the ports of the Cal Digit, and also try the Cal Digit on all available Thunderbolt ports.
(USB 2.0 cables won't work..., make sure to try short cables which support USB 3.0.

It might be that the USB chip in the dock is incompatible to the MadifaceXT. Check the "MADIface XT USB 3 Compatibility Information" in the manual (page 100).

You could try a different dock then.

Maybe there would also be some way to connect via thunderbolt to the MadifaceXT's PCI Express port, but I am not sure, probably easier to get the USB working.

After a long time of trying this out and spending load s of cash on different cables I found on my Mac Studio Ultra connecting the interface directly to a thunderbolt port the only reliable solution! I can not connect to to the Mac Studios USB-A ports, that causes immediate stutter and is unusable. I have tried the cal digit Element Thunderbolt to USB3 Hub, but as soon as other devices are connected to that, I will run into audio problems. It may not happen immediately, but over time you will notice dropouts. The only thing that works for me is using a thunderbolt port exclusively for the Madiface XT. I also tried various cable extensions to get longer than 3m. Nothing worked reliably. I instead had to reposition my Mac Studio and use a 3m USB-3 cable with a thunderbolt to USB-A adaptor from Apple. I suppose a direct USB-C to USB-A cable will also work as long as it is no longer than 3m. 2m could be preferable. But with a 5m cable (even with an powered extender) I did get dropouts over time ...

5 (edited by bsfreq 2024-04-10 12:40:30)

trubadix wrote:

I have tried the cal digit Element Thunderbolt to USB3 Hub, but as soon as other devices are connected to that, I will run into audio problems.

The Element hub is of course different, having only a single USB 3 controller shared with all the ports, unlike TS3+ that has 3 separate USB 3 controllers. And that’s why it’s recommended to use a dedicated controller bus on TS3+

(Also sounds to me that you were trying to sort out a problem that was more related to using a long cable. Cable extensions are known to cause problems. Optical cables might work. Seems that you haven’t tried those.. https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 85#p211085 )

6 (edited by trubadix 2024-04-14 01:23:09)

The Element hub is of course different, having only a single USB 3 controller shared with all the ports, unlike TS3+ that has 3 separate USB 3 controllers. And that’s why it’s recommended to use a dedicated controller bus on TS3+

Alright, that is good to know. I might try the caldigit T3/4 somewhere in the future when I can get an affordable unit. For now, I am sorted and have no need for free thunderbolt ports. Out of interest: the USB-C ports of the Elements Hub also share the same USB controller or do they have an individual one? There are 3 SSDs connected to the hub - not fast NVMEs, but rather slow Samsung QVOs. I am using those to store samples (for Kontakt). I couldn't make out any bottleneck with the hub, but could there actually be one?

(Also sounds to me that you were trying to sort out a problem that was more related to using a long cable. Cable extensions are known to cause problems. Optical cables might work. Seems that you haven’t tried those.. https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 85#p211085 )

It's right that this was one of my problems, but there were also other problems like the Madiface XT not working with the Mac Studios internal USB 3 (type A) ports. But it is also good to know, that optical cables could be worth trying. Right now, I leave it as it is, as I have already changed the whole arrangement and the Mac is now no longer in my ISO box. It is not entirely quiet, but quiet enough to live with that noise.

7 (edited by bsfreq 2024-04-14 12:58:08)

trubadix wrote:

Out of interest: the USB-C ports of the Elements Hub also share the same USB controller or do they have an individual one? There are 3 SSDs connected to the hub - not fast NVMEs, but rather slow Samsung QVOs. I am using those to store samples (for Kontakt). I couldn't make out any bottleneck with the hub, but could there actually be one?

On the Element hub, all USB 3 devices share the same controller, regardless of the connector type used. More info on caldigit website: https://www.caldigit.com/element-hubs-c … ata-paths/
Edit: Element hub in fact seems to have two USB 3 controllers, but they are connected in series, so the second controller shares the bandwidth of the first one and is basically a hub connected to the 1st controller.