Topic: Babyface FS artifact on track

Good day! I have a problem, when recording sometimes started to appear artefacts in the form of a solid band on the spectrum. I have reinstalled drivers, it doesn't help. Sampling rate and bit rate coincides with the settings of the babyface fs. Already tried everything, but at random moments pop up such artefacts on the recording https://i.imgur.com/2LpsmhV.png

Re: Babyface FS artifact on track

Hi
Please post detailed specs of your system. Driver and firmware versions for the interface, Windows, DAW, involved software. How do settings look like (clock / sync especially)? What is the sound source? What microphone? Further hardware involved (on ADAT or SPDIF)?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

3 (edited by BrainDeLook 2024-04-07 11:12:28)

oli77sch wrote:

Hi
Please post detailed specs of your system. Driver and firmware versions for the interface, Windows, DAW, involved software. How do settings look like (clock / sync especially)? What is the sound source? What microphone? Further hardware involved (on ADAT or SPDIF)?

1) Driver - 1.249
2) Hardware revision - 320
3) Windows 10
4) Daw - Adobe Audition 23.1.0.75
5) Involved software - I use everything dry, and after recording, I start processing the tracks
6) How do settings look like (clock / sync especially) - show in image https://i.imgur.com/PoLIVAB.png
7) What is the sound source? - Voice
8) What microphone - Shure SM7B (+48db gain)
9) Further hardware involved (on ADAT or SPDIF)? - I only use channel one

I record only with multitrack settings - 48000, 24bit

Also there is the same problem on my friend's fireface ucx ii, and also in audition on any pc.

4 (edited by waedi 2024-04-07 17:22:24)

Compare when switch off EQ for record
You say you want record dry then this EQ should be off.
On the image the wave shows no glich or spike, it looks like a samplerate mismatch, sample rate in the DAW suddenly jumps up to 192kHz for a moment, or the DSP had a hickup.
How dous the artifaxt sound ? Like a beep of white noise ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Compare when switch off EQ for record
You say you want record dry then this EQ should be off.
On the image the wave shows no glich or spike, it looks like a samplerate mismatch, sample rate in the DAW suddenly jumps up to 192kHz for a moment, or the DSP had a hickup.
How dous the artifaxt sound ? Like a beep of white noise ?

Yes, I record dry sound, but have left the Eq for record function for rare occasions. The EQ itself in this and all other cases of such artefacts was turned off in TotalMix. Sampling frequency in DAW as I said before is always set to 48000 as well as in audio card drivers. I can attach the sound itself for you to analyse it - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uXp5lH … sp=sharing

It sounds like a solid click so maybe it is white noise. But how to solve this problem?

BrainDeLook wrote:

Also there is the same problem on my friend's fireface ucx ii, and also in audition on any pc.

That’s interesting. So it’s probably not caused by the Babyface pro. At least I really can’t imagine to have the exact same issue with two different interfaces on different computers. Have you tried
- different mics
- different cables
- different USB ports and cables
?

I can't hear any artifact in that wave sample.
Also when stretching it.
This issue seems to appear only as visual bar in the Adobe Audition spectrum analyzer image...

8 (edited by BrainDeLook 2024-04-07 20:53:13)

waedi wrote:

Also when stretching it.
This issue seems to appear only as visual bar in the Adobe Audition spectrum analyzer image...

I don't know why you don't hear a clear click in the recording. But even if you open the spectrum in another program like Izotope RX you will have the same artefact as in Audition.

oli77sch wrote:
BrainDeLook wrote:

That’s interesting. So it’s probably not caused by the Babyface pro. At least I really can’t imagine to have the exact same issue with two different interfaces on different computers. Have you tried
- different mics
- different cables
- different USB ports and cables
?

Unfortunately at the moment I don't have any other microphone than the one mentioned above, I'll just try to change the cable and see if it's really the problem. Although my friend has a bunch of TLM 103 + UCX II and a very high quality cable, but as I said the same problem happens and he also said that he had the same problem with AT2020Usb+ (but it's not exact). I myself use the complete usb cable and tried to change usb inputs, but as you realise without success. 

At the moment I use a KVM switch to work on two computers, but again the problem exists even if I plug the wire directly into the PC.

10 (edited by waedi 2024-04-07 21:48:22)

BrainDeLook wrote:
waedi wrote:

Also when stretching it.

I don't know why you don't hear a clear click in the recording. But even if you open the spectrum in another program like Izotope RX you will have the same artefact as in Audition.

Yes I can see that bar in the RX but the wave shows nothing special audible to me.

https://i.ibb.co/wcs7C1k/Bildschirmfoto-2024-04-07-um-22-40-46.png

It's there, I can clearly hear it. I had something comparable once on a multitrack recording with Auria on iPad. I never found out what caused it. But of course this app on iPad without native audio driver doesn't act as stable as the well known DAWs on Windows or macOS.

12 (edited by Kubrak 2024-04-07 22:26:36)

@waedi I am not expert by any means.... More math guy, than audio one.

But still, it seems to me that there is sudden drop of value in the signal. Just in the middle of that frequency bar. IHHO, such a steep change is unusual, maybe even impossible in real signal. It looks like a dropout in signal. Not one, two samples, but pretty much of them.... I cannot tell how much is missing from the picture (I would need to see a bit longer signal), but I see that repeating pattern of signal is clearly corrupted.

Such a steep change in signal creates a bar in spectogram as steep change in signal can be achieved only by signal covering wide range of frequencies.

Kubrak wrote:

@waedi I am not expert by any means.... More math guy, than audio one.

But still, it seems to me that there is sudden drop of value in the signal. Just in the middle of that frequency bar. IHHO, such a steep change is unusual, maybe even impossible in real signal. It looks like a dropout in signal. Not one, two samples, but pretty much of them.... I cannot tell how much is missing from the picture (I would need to see a bit longer signal), but I see that repeating pattern of signal is clearly corrupted.

Such a steep change in signal creates a bar in spectogram as steep change in signal can be achieved only by signal covering wide range of frequencies.

I can't provide a longer signal as the problem is floating and only manifests itself in the form of such micro artefacts.

In a day or two my Mac will come to me and I will try to test the card in Logic as I understand if the problem will occur there too, the options are as follows:
1) Change the XLR
2) Faulty drivers
3) Faulty card itself
4) Faulty microphone

If everything will be fine on Logic and the problem disappears, then the problem lies in Audition or in Windows as a whole and everything needs to be reinstalled.

15 (edited by Kubrak 2024-04-08 00:29:56)

BrainDeLook wrote:

I can't provide a longer signal as the problem is floating and only manifests itself in the form of such micro artefacts.

I meant a bit longer than Waedi's picture. Just a bit longer, say double at most.

You don't need to see more wide but more narrow - more zoom in to sample level, then it will most probably look like samples missing (that steep fall should have been a 'rounded' continuing to the following samples, like shown in the rest of the pic).

If this is a pure recording the issue will be with the computer/OS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I meant it in the way, that from longer picture it would be clear, how big part of signal is missing at minimum. IMHO it is pretty clear that part of data is missing. And it is not IMHO just few samples.

I agree with you that greater detail up to sample level would precisely prove whether there is data dropout.... (I skipped that request as missing part of the signal seems to me to be obvious...)