Topic: Trinnov ST-2 & RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE & UFX III & M-32 AD PRO

Hello RME experts!

I'm slightly confused as to which routing configuration is the optimal in my situation. I regret posting a new routing thread, but i can't find any info in here when using a seperate monitor and room eq controller (Trinnov ST-2 Pro).

My current setup is as such, on two different chains:
Computer <-- USB --> UFX III -- AES + WORD COAX --> Trinnov ST-2 Pro --> amps and monitors
M-32 AD PRO <-- MADI + WORD COAX --> UFX III
Computer <-- USB --> ADI-2 Pro --> Headphones

I expect my life would be much easier if i implemented the ADI-2 into my primary chain.

Questions:
- Which device should i use for clock?
- Should i use the ADI-2 as an SPDIF extension from the UFX III?
- Should the ADI-2 be inserted between the UFX III and Trinnov ST-2?

Thanks in advance!

2 (edited by ramses 2024-04-09 20:34:26)

Re: Trinnov ST-2 & RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE & UFX III & M-32 AD PRO

Where to place the Trinnov ..
The Trinnov seems to be able to get audio signals either via AES or analog.
The room connection you would only need for active monitors.
So I would place the Trinnov behind the ADI-2 Pro and connect it analog.

Word clock is not needed. UFX III is clock master, and the slaves can learn clock via MADI, AES and/or ADAT.

I would use OM3 or OM4 multimode fiber cable for connecting the M32 Pro AD, by this you have also galvanic isolation.

PC-----------------------------USB2---------------------------------------------------+
|   \---USB---ARC USB                                                                              | for remote control using ADI Remote
|                                                                                                               | and firmware updates
| USB3                                                                                                      | [ADI-2 Pro mode: ADDA]
|                                                                                                               |
UFX III---ADAT1 OUT----[SPDIF]---1:--Optosel4:1Mk2----->ADAT IN----ADI-2 Pro FS R BE---AN1/2----Trinnov-----Active Monitors
|     |                                              2:---TV                                                                          \---AN3/4-------------------Phones
|     + M32 Pro AD                        3:---BluRay
|     |                                              4: Reserve
+---+
MADI

Regarding clock synch and D/A conversion:

UFX III as clock master, then the application sets the sample rate for the main audio interface,
and the slaves can learn automatically the sample rate.

The ADI-2 Pro is designed in a way that he uses his internal FS clock for the final D/A conversion.

All devices have FS clock and the slaves use SteadyClock FS for optimal jitter reduction.

If you have other devices there like TV or BluRay Player then you can use a TOSLINK switcher in front of the ADI-2 Pro R BE.
The Oehlbach Optosel 4:1 is nice looking and has a remote and you can also switch the channels on the unit.
It supports in the Mk II version up to 192 kHz.
By this you can make the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to the "central" converter in your studio but also multimedia setup.

How to integrate the ADI-2 Pro FS into your setup including configuration example, see my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Some information about clock synchronization:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … ios-en-de/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by juliush 2024-04-10 08:46:31)

Hello Ramses,

Thank you so much for your detailed input! Much appreciated!

You answered all my questions.

I'll insert the ADI-2 as you recommend.

Thanks for the suggestion on the switcher and media options, but my setup is for my music studio and office.

My only consideration is that i would like to keep the signal chain digital until the Trinnov, as this does digital room correction - so i guess no need to do ADDA conversion in the Trinnov as well?

So UFX III <--- SPDIF ---> ADI-2 <--- AES ---> Trinnov ST2 ? I could use the ADI-2 after the Trinnov also, but i need 4 outputs (2 mains and 2 subs, which is processed in the Trinnov).

So, what if i wanted to listen to DSD music from my PC? That's not possible on your recommended setup right?

The Trinnov DA specs are:
ADC Resolution / Sampling Rate:24 Bits/96 kHz
DAC Resolution / Sampling Rate:24 Bits/192 kHz
A/D Signal-To-Noise Ratio:119 dB (A-Weighted)
D/A Signal-To-Noise Ratio:118 dB (A-Weighted)
Processing Sampling Rate:Native, up to 192kHz
Processing Resolution:64 bits floating point
Clock / Jitter:attenuation > 50 dB Above 100Hz

https://www.trinnov.com/en/resources/di … ifications

4 (edited by ramses 2024-04-10 09:19:52)

OK, so you want this ...

PC-----------------------------USB2---------------------------+
|   \---USB---ARC USB                                                 | for DSD playback, remote control (using ADI Remote)
|                                                                                  | and firmware updates
| USB3                                                                         | [ADI-2 Pro mode: ADDA]
|                                                                                  |
UFX III---ADAT1 OUT-----[SPDIF]----->ADAT IN---ADI-2 Pro FS R BE---AES-----Trinnov---Active Monitors
|     |                                                                                              \---AN3/4-------------------Phones
|     + M32 Pro AD
|     |             
+<-+
MADI

Makes sense to use AES towards the Trinnov to avoid a further AD/DA conversion in the Trinnov.
It is also possible to play DSD over USB.

I see here two main use cases
a) audio from USB for DSD playback
b) audio from digital (ADAT) input to digital output (AES) and analog

You will need to look into the manual, which routing modes support this all best.

Most likely you need two different routing modes for that and thus to work with two different configs on the ADI-2 Pro.

I am at the moment struggeling, which mode would offer you the most advantages
- ad/da mode
- digital through mode
and whether one of these modes could perhaps make the 2nd one for "DSD over USB" unnecessary.

Maybe KaiS has an idea on this topic?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13