Topic: M-1610 Discontinued...What's Next?

Hi everyone,
First post here and I have been a long RME user that has switched back to using RME only setups. I have searched the forums and see that others have expressed their wants for either a M-1616 or M-16 Pro II AD and DA converter. Since this product is discontinued, i don't think there is any news on replacing it any time soon, but who knows. Most retailers I have searched and asked say that it is disconitnued and there are no more in stock. I am coming from an ancient Lynx based system and now have the UFX III as my base with the ADI-2 Pro FS for my monitoring. Was hoping to add the M-1610 but now that it is no longer with us and the M-32 is just too much i/o for my needs, what are you guys doing for extended i/o coverage? or are you waiting like I am for any future news?

Re: M-1610 Discontinued...What's Next?

https://rme-audio.de/m-1610-pro.html

3 (edited by ramses 2024-04-12 10:34:28)

PalacePosy wrote:

Hi everyone,
First post here and I have been a long RME user that has switched back to using RME only setups. I have searched the forums and see that others have expressed their wants for either a M-1616 or M-16 Pro II AD and DA converter. Since this product is discontinued, i don't think there is any news on replacing it any time soon, but who knows. Most retailers I have searched and asked say that it is disconitnued and there are no more in stock. I am coming from an ancient Lynx based system and now have the UFX III as my base with the ADI-2 Pro FS for my monitoring. Was hoping to add the M-1610 but now that it is no longer with us and the M-32 is just too much i/o for my needs, what are you guys doing for extended i/o coverage? or are you waiting like I am for any future news?

That's a good question.

If there is a new product, RME - like every other manufacturer - will not give you any information about it in advance. If it is there, then it is there.

If it's urgent, then you should get an M-1610 Pro if you see one in stock somewhere.

Kubrak wrote a message saying that he had probably found another product in the Czech Republic.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 97#p216997

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by hselters 2024-04-12 20:58:46)

PalacePosy wrote:

what are you guys doing for extended i/o coverage?

Using a ferrofish pulse 16 Madi CV with UFX+, and two older firefaces (400 and ucx) in standalone via adat (the 400 actually connected to the pulse, so it arrives on the Madi channels of the ufx+). very happy with this. And can take the ucx as a mobile unit when needed.

5 (edited by PalacePosy 2024-04-13 07:11:41)

ramses wrote:

That's a good question.

If there is a new product, RME - like every other manufacturer - will not give you any information about it in advance. If it is there, then it is there.

If it's urgent, then you should get an M-1610 Pro if you see one in stock somewhere.

Kubrak wrote a message saying that he had probably found another product in the Czech Republic.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 97#p216997

Thanks. I just checked it out, but being in the states, avoiding international sales and have to deal with import fees, taxes, etc... would benefit. More websites are taking the product down as they are now getting word its discontinued.

hselters wrote:

Using a ferrofish pulse 16 Madi CV with UFX+, and two older firefaces (400 and ucx) in standalone via adat (the 400 actually connected to the pulse, so it arrives on the Madi channels of the ufx+). very happy with this. And can take the ucx as a mobile unit when needed.

Nice! I just ended up going HDSPe Madi FX for the interface and M32 for the AD and will just hold out and cross my fingers for a M-16 Pro II DA. They did a 16 channel for the first generation of the M-series so hopefully they give us a second revision just like the 32. Only time will tell

Do we know why M-1610 has been discontinued? What about future software support?

There's no real need for constant software updates, but if something were to make updates necessary or bugs needed fixing, that will not just stop happening now.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I think they're going to make something more dedicated to Atmos.. Perhaps similar conversion of the ADI-Pro Fs R, but in a 16 In/Out configuration.
I own a M-1610 Pro and it's a great unit, but I wish that it had one more output. smile I know that if I decided to go Atmos, I'd really want it.

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

10 (edited by ramses 2024-04-30 16:18:44)

Hi Robin.

How are you? Hope your weather is better than mine … but slowly it is becoming warmer also here. wink

See my proposal here for future UFX III (and UFX II) facelifts:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 46#p217846

4x AES I/O would support at least 5.1 or 7.1 setups out of the box, be it using RME reference converter (ADI-2 FS, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, ADI-2/4 Pro SE) or if the active monitors have AES ports. Together with the new Room EQ, you can do a lot of useful things.

If you have more channels than that or if buying so many reference converters would be too expensive in total, then indeed something like an M-1616 Pro which doesn't yet exist would be very useful. Even at double speed, it would allow you to add one 12Mic even at double speed.

Regarding my "facelift proposal" for UFX III: additionally, two MADI buses would more easily allow for setups to work at double or even quad speed if somebody should get such a project or demand.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

11 (edited by Robin Walsh Yesterday 09:18:58)

Ramses!!! I'm well, my friend! I hope you are too. Yep, we're heading for winter, but at least our winters are a bit better than yours!  smile

I read your UFX III proposal. It would be a monster if they did it!

I'd be happy with a hypothetical M-1616 if the converters are good. I think the UFX III has the same converters as the ADI-2 Pro, without the filter options, if I'm not mistaken? If they could put those into a unit like the M-1616 Pro that would be great.

I definitely think RME could benefit from a 16 I/O unit. Combined with a UFX it'll give you 24 I/O which is common for a mid-sized studio like mine. I often track bass, drums, guitars and keys simultaneously and 24 Ins is adequate. Also, if they had to build a 16 I/O unit with better conversion than the older UFX units, you could benefit from the 16 channels of A-grade conversion while running an older UFX. Also, you could run Atmos without having to repatch anything.

It's always fun to speculate! Let's see what the future brings..

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

I would buy the madiface xt in an instant if it would be available again. ( with new control room features).

Georg

13 (edited by ramses Yesterday 18:09:14)

georgob wrote:

I would buy the madiface xt in an instant if it would be available again. ( with new control room features).

Georg

Yes indeed, nice unit.

Maybe additionally:
- Display like UCX II, UFX II/III
- preamps with 75 dB gain range (like UCX II, UFX II)
- more up-to-date headphone output with lower impedance like e.g. UFX II/III
- FS clock
- ARC USB connector (instead of the old one for the ARC)
- PCIe connector could IMHO be canceled, is no mainboard standard anymore

If possible:
- DURec
- two SFP modules for MADI optical
- AES with XLR connectors (without breakout cable)