1 (edited by Traum 2024-04-12 16:04:35)

Topic: UCX II + 16 Channel ADAT - Can I freely mix and match / assign inputs?

My idea for a setup is to have the UCX II + Ferrofish Pulse 16 giving me 24 analog inputs. Often I may have all 16 inputs of the Ferrofish used by various drum machines and samplers. I can only have 8 inputs via ADAT at one time but am I able to easily swap between any input I wish without unplugging from the Ferrofish or are they grouped in sets of 8 so you can only choose 1-8 inputs or 9-16 inputs. I really doubt I would need all 16 inputs at one time via ADAT but might want to say use Kick drum from something on channel 1, bass on channel 4, snare on channel 9, hi hats on 15 and 16 etc. Is this possible and easy to change between with the click of a virtual button?

Thanks

Re: UCX II + 16 Channel ADAT - Can I freely mix and match / assign inputs?

Yes, so you can only choose 1-8 inputs or 9-16 inputs.
Groups of 8 channels at sample rate up to 48kHz.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by hselters 2024-04-12 20:49:45)

That’s correct.
On the output side you can split using the ferrofish routing matrix (adat 1-8 are then going to all 16 analogue outputs on the pulse, channel 1 goes to out 1 and 9 and so on….)
But the 16 analogue inputs on the pulse cannot be mixed / combined to go out of adat 1-8 and only switched in banks of 8.

To achieve it, you can:
- use a simple analogue patchbay
- add a digiface usb as a digital adat patchbay (which would also allow you to use all the pulse and ucx channels at the same time if you use this as an interface)
- or simply upgrade to a bigger one like ufx II.

Thanks, so it sounds like I can't do what I was planning. I think i'll go UFX then.

As mentioned, you can use UCX II and Digiface USB. You would have one more ADAT in and three out left for future use. If you connect ferrofish using 2 ADAT and UCX II using one ADAT in and out.

But of course, it depends, what you need and what you are willing to spend.

6 (edited by ramses 2024-04-13 10:59:29)

Kubrak wrote:

As mentioned, you can use UCX II and Digiface USB. You would have one more ADAT in and three out left for future use. If you connect ferrofish using 2 ADAT and UCX II using one ADAT in and out.

But of course, it depends, what you need and what you are willing to spend.

1st of all this won't work anyway (at least under Windows) because UCX II and Digiface USB are using different ASIO drivers.
With Apple it might be a different story, I am not 100% sure, but even if the same limitations are there like shown below.

Then it would also not be the best approach setup wise.

This means that you have to route through the DAW.
You could only route a few channels over ADAT to mitigate that and to use it for clock synchronization.

+AN1/2----Active Monitors
                   /  +ANx/y---Phones
                  /  /
         + UCX II
        /     | | ADAT
PC +       | |
        \     | | ADAT4
         + Digiface USB----ADAT1+2<------------------>ADAT1+2---Ferrofish

So whatever comes in from the Ferrofish needs to be routed either through DAW or through an ADAT connection between UCX II and Digiface USB which is limited to 8ch at single speed.

This is from setup perspective neither easy to use from routing perspective nor flexible.

The much better approach would be getting UFX or even better UFX II to get all the nice new features and also Room EQ if this were of interest.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13