1 (edited by rmewill 2024-04-13 12:46:29)

Topic: no signal or lights on rme ufx2

I bought a brand new ufx2 which was working well until  today  -

the front panel with the mic/line inputs are showing no lights despite all having connections to them and no signal is showing in totalmix - I've tried different cables and just updated to the latest firmware 

in each of the 4 front inputs it's electric guitars/bass guitars connected with balanced trs jacks

does anyone have any ideas?

- edit:

solved this myself (for anyone wondering - totalmix had somehow reset itself and 'ins' simply needed to be selected in it smile

2 (edited by ramses 2024-04-13 12:52:51)

Re: no signal or lights on rme ufx2

What OS? What is the driver and the driver version?

Assumed Windows:
- did you have a look at the Device Manager whether you can see the device therein?
- if not: did you try different USB2 cables and USB ports on your computer?
- did you open the driver settings dialog to check whether you can see CRC errors

If you have still problems to see the device in Windows.
Maybe worth to check whether CC mode is activated, it should be deactivated.

Then you could also try to test the digital ports, whether you see at least the ADAT LED by plugging a loop test between ADAT1 OUT->IN and ADAT2 OUT->IN .. at least this loopback test should work to indicated that maybe the digital board is working ...

How new? If you did everything right .. then it looks more like DOA (dead on arrival).
I would contact the vendor and ask for a replacement unit.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by ramses 2024-04-13 12:51:48)

rmewill wrote:

solved this myself (for anyone wondering - totalmix had somehow reset itself and 'ins' simply needed to be selected in it smile

I do not understand what you mean by that, but congrats.

Strange, it sounded, as if you tried everything but nothing worked at all.
Wondering why you didn't check at least playback, you could/should have seen audio in the middle row.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
rmewill wrote:

I do not understand what you mean by that, but congrats.

Strange, it sounded, as if you tried everything but nothing worked at all.
Wondering why you didn't check at least playback, you could/should have seen audio in the middle row.

in totalmix for the channel you can select either '48V' or 'Inst' - by default none are selected, I reset my computer and for some reason totalmix resetted all of its settings by to default unprompted

playback worked fine because it's not related to the above

was just a case of not seeing the woods for the trees !

5 (edited by ramses 2024-04-13 15:48:52)

Now I understand.
Things like this do normally occur.
There are two things that you should do to be able to recover very quickliy

First, make a backup of all settings with TM FX: Save Workspace

Then you also get a very nice and quick handling by using the Workspace Quick Select Slots.

Save your current Workspace to Slot 1, and you can recover at any time TM FX settings completely by pressing ALT-1

With ALT1-9 you can save / recover 9×8 = 72 different snapshots very rapidly.

Windows: These Workspace Quick Select Slots are stored under Application Defaults (in your user profile) in a different file compared to the usual last settings file. So if the latter becomes corrupted or deleted you can recover in "no time".
Moreover, useful when testing other settings to come back quickly to the previous state.

But this doesn't replace making a backup of your workspace. Because this you store somewhere under your users' documents, which is sometimes much more likely part of a file backup. Both is useful in the end for different purposes.