Topic: Problems with Babyface Pr and M2 Pr Mac --> Chipmunk distorted voice

It was a battle to instal RME Babyface Pro on Mac m1. After I finally did it, Totalmix showed up like it's supposed to, something happened.

When I record it, everything comes out TOTALLY distorted, like a mix between chipmunk and detuning.

I have no idea what's cause this, but already tried different cable, different mic, reinstalled the latest drive and nothing. Always the chipmunk distorted voice.

Any idea on what the hell?

Re: Problems with Babyface Pr and M2 Pr Mac --> Chipmunk distorted voice

Hi
Please tell us more about your system: all details about macOS and driver versions, audio software you use, sample rate settings and so on.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Unplug anything USB, then try all available ports.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by haukn 2024-04-15 14:09:22)

oli77sch wrote:

Hi
Please tell us more about your system: all details about macOS and driver versions, audio software you use, sample rate settings and so on.

MacOS: M2 Pro Version 14.4.1 (23E224)  -  Sorry, I've said M1 on the title
Audio Software: Reaper
Sample Rate: 48000
Mic: AKG 414

What else can I tell to help?

Btw, I might be doing something wrong ant it's been sometime since I last used Totalmix, but I can't find the mic output on Totalmix also to see if the problem begins there.

MC wrote:

Unplug anything USB, then try all available ports.

Done it, nothing changes hmm

Can you upload a sample somewhere? Perhaps record a sine wave of known frequency also, like 1k.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Totalmix is not related to the recording path.
To find out if the distortion happens while recording or on playback, I would suggest to listen to the recorded track using the built in headphones output on the Mac.
Also you can monitor the signal directly through Totalmix (signal from mic in to Babyface pro headphones output without sending it over USB to the computer and back). Doing this, you can verify where / when the issue happens.
For direct monitoring, open the Totalmix mixer window, make sure 'submix mode' is on (blue area on the right), click on headphone out in bottom row (hardware playback), raise up the fader of the mic input. Now the signal should reach the output directly.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2